Acer Aspire 5517 CPU upgrade, might need some help

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by Kato1144, May 25, 2018.

1. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

I was given a Acer Aspire 5517 a few years ago from my mother, she was tired of the old hunk of junk and was going to throw it away, I on the other hand saw a perfectly good laptop to try and run Linux on, in the end i found i did not like linux so i put in on a shelf and forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago i started using it again for some LAN game action at my place to play Artemis ans stuff, the Laptop has a HD 3200 integrated GPU so i has a really decent DX9 GPU for a laptop, it might even be faster then the i3 first gen intel HD graphics in my other laptop but that 1.6GHz TF-20 is painful to use, Vista does not make it and better to use with the slow CPU.

So i was wondering if the CPU was socketed and it is, looks like with some work I will be able pop out the old CPU and upgrade to a TF-64 x2 with a BIOS update, i took a quick look on ebay and they look like they are going for around 40-50$ so i might just do it.

So if and when i do this i will like to lean on the [H] community for some help, i have never upgraded more then ram and SSD's in laptops so i will probably run in to some hurdles, also i read on a Acer forum that some one upgraded to the latest BIOS and upgraded to a TF-64x2 and it would not post, other however have had success so maybe he got a bad CPU or i might have to get custom BIOS for the upgrade.

Current Specs are:
    2GB of Ram, 256MB shared to the GPU (i should probably get a 4GB stick or should i get 2 2GB sticks?)
    1.6GHz single core CPU TF-20
    128GB SSD
    Vista 64x Service pack 2 (i wont update past this point, the windows updater says it need to upgrade but when it tries it just eats 100% of the CPU and does nothing, i left it for 2 days and it was still upgrading, ask M$ for help and they told me Vista is not supported and to turn off updates, if anyone know how to fix this im all ears other wise updates stay off )
    HD 3200 integrated GPU, BUS PCI (it says it has 874MB of fast ram so it might have its own memory coupled with the system mem, maybe not i have to look in to it)

let me know what you guys think, any feed back is appreciated :)

2. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

I have done this type of thing before, but it may not have been an Acer 5517. There were lots of laptops with those cpus. I think the Emachines E627 was about the same thing and maybe that's what I worked on.

You have the right general idea. Update bios if you can, find new cpu, and make the swap. The devil is in the details.

That is a S1G1 cpu, Socket S1, and I guess G1 stands for 1st generation. There are many other options, so you might save some money by looking at some other cpus. cpu-world is really helpful:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 TF-20 - AMGTF20HAX4DN.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket S1 _S1g1__K8.html

The TF-20 is just a 15W cpu. Most of the TL series is 31W or 35W. There is one low wattage cpu you might want to get instead: TK-42. It's only 20W. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 TK-42 - AMETK42HAX5DM.html

Also, this TK-42 is mentioned in an Emachines E627 maintenance manual so the bios should support it: http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/emachines e627.pdf

The clockspeed isn't very fast, but you are gaining an extra core.

The main key to not mangling a plastic laptop is to use old credit or gift cards to pry things open or apart. Do not use screwdrivers or anything metal. You will marr the plastic that way.

Also the cpu has no heatspreader. The die is bare, so I don't like the idea of using Arctic Silver. They say it's not conductive, but slightly capacitive. I don't like taking risks on a lidless cpu. There are many small capacitors and parts near the die. Also taking apart a laptop is no real easy process. Taking it apart and swapping the cpu will be a couple hours, more if it's your first time. MX-4 or Ceramique would be what i would use. I'm pretty sure I have only used Ceramique on laptops and I have had no issues.

Have plenty of space to work and take your time. Use google. It seems like you have, but wanted to say it anyway. There are videos for this on youtube and sites with pics. This was a pretty popular swap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25792168@N00/sets/72157622393042218/detail/

That link might be of some help. I just found that with a quick search but haven't checked it all out yet.

For RAM, I doubt it can take a 4GB stick. I'd get 2 x 2GB instead.

3. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

Well even though one more core will help out, 1.6GHz is still hurting even for a old junker, i will at least get the 2.0GHz of a TL-60x2, but the TL-64x2 are relatively cheap still (around 23$ CND before shipping) and people who have successfully done the upgrade toa TL-60x2 or TL-64x2 have reported no over heating issues so the cooler should be ok with the extra wattage.

As for not mangling the plastic that might not be possible as i only have hard edge tools to work with and no spare credit cards either so might have to pull her apart with alittle more force then i would like.

The CPU having no heat spreader is a non issue for me, I was a teen when the AMD XP series was around and i have done some work on the fragile exposed CPU die, i even chipped a corner off of a XP 1800+ once by putting the heat sink on backwards and snapping it down, the PC post and i got in to the BIOS for a sec but it was extremely unstable and then the smoke came from under the CPU cooler, killed the MOBD too... ah memories thats how i got in to costume computers after killing my compaq..... as for the TIM I'm planning to use Gelid GC-Extreme TIM, it is non conductive im pretty sure its non capacitive either, if im wrong let me know i cant find info saying otherwise but if it is risky to use this TIM i will get some MX-4.

4. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

Oh hey just a after thought but what speed memory do you think i should shoot for, it looks like it takes DDR 2-666, DDR 2-667 and DDR 2-800, i know this might be a redundent question but convetianl wisdom says go for the faster memory but i have had compatibility issues with faster memory on laptops before (bought a DDR 3 8GB kit for my other laptop and even thought it should have been compatible the computer would not work with either of the faster sticks at all) so should i just go for the DDR 2-800 or go with a slower but maybe more compatible kit?

but if it say it is compatible it should be right?.... i just dont want to get burned again with a useless kit a laptop mem....

BTW current installed Ram is 333MHz DDR 2-666 2GB

5. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

if other have successfully swapped cpus than you can too. just update first. I wouldn't worry about cracking a laptop chip. the hold downs are engineered not to. the mx-4 is also a good idea. yes get the fastest ram you can that others have had success with, check the qvl if you can find it.

6. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

could not find a QVL for the Acer Aspire 5517, Crucial's website showed me some RAM kits that are "upgrade for Acer Aspire 5517 system", so hopefully it is not just abusing the search engine query to make a sale.... anyway i will probly get one of the DDR 2-800 2x4GB kit

as for the CPU it looks only one of the 3 revisions of the TL-64x2 works well with the MOBD, looks like the Rev2 part is the most compatible, if i cant get that i will have to get a TL-60-x2, will do more research

pendragon1 likes this.
  7. pendragon1

ive never had an issue with the crucial list, its been bang on.

8. pendragon1

if you have an extra ssd kicking around that will help A LOT!

9. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

oh yes installing a SSD was one of the first things i did, the HDD that is came with was painfully slow, i currently have it updating windows 7 right now, Vista BSOD its pants when i updated the BIOS lol not sure why that happend but i decided i had enough and moved on but windows 7 on less then 2GB's of mem is painful in a whole new way...

Anyway the new mem is ordered and now I'm looking for a CPU, this list shows what the acer is compatible with, the G1 and G2 rev of the TL-64x2 may not be compatible so i need to try and find a F2 Rev but that is going to be hard as after a quick look no one is listing there Revision, and why would they. well wish me luck in the choosing of the CPU im going to need it

pendragon1 likes this.
  10. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

just a quick update, found a seller selling the TMDTL64HAX5CT, witch is the more compatible Rev. F2, garbed the last one, top rated seller so hopefully there is no issue, was only 25$ CND witch was pretty good as some seller were asking for 40-80$, turns out the Rev. F2 is a little more rare then its counterparts other wise i could have gotten the G1 or G2 revisions for less then 10$ CND, so some time in June when the parts come in i will update.

if all goes well i will have a not so bad little lap top for around 40$ish dollar investment, not including what the SSD cost but i bought that some time ago for about 60$

pendragon1 likes this.
  11. pendragon1

message any seller and ask for the rev. they shouldn't have any issue providing it. never mind. had window open and your above post wasn't showing yet. that'll be decent in the end.
    so youre a canuck too eh? not many of us around here...

Kato1144 likes this.
  12. Kato1144

Kato1144 Limp Gawd

Well you know were here and there, politely saying sorry for just about everything to just about everyone, man i love my country

pendragon1 likes this.