acer aspire 3000 memory woes

I just received my acer aspire 3000 laptop today, and I installed the extra 512 mb memory chip (from newegg) I bought for it and when it's installed the computer will not boot up. When I removed it it starts up fine. I tried all combinations of one chip and/or the other in both slots and nothing works. The other chip is the one it came with -- 256mb by infineon, the new one is some brand -- pqi -- that I've never heard of, but the folks on newegg who had purchased it seemed happy with it. So does anyone have any ideas what could be the matter? Do I need to reset the cmos settings? If so does anyone know how to do this on an acer -- I didn't see a jumper to do it when I opened it up today. The only other thing I can think of is that the 512 chip is doa and I should get it replaced and see if that works.

Thanks for any suggestions.

if the machine wont post with just the 512 in it and nothing else the chip is DOA
even if the chip was only pc1600 or something the system would still post, just be slow

if it posts with just one, but not with both then you have a memory incompatability issue which does sometimes occur with memory of different brands on some chipsets

Yeah you're probably right. This is kind of a drag, I wonder if I can get newegg to refund me the return shipping cost. Anyway, thanks.

Back