ACER Announces 49" and 55" 4K HDR Monitors

cageymaru

Fully [H]
ACER has announced 49" and 55" IPS 4K HDR monitors to be released on June 28, 2018 and June 21, 2018 respectively in Japan. Pricing isn't known on these yet. The 49" EB490QKbmiiipfx and 55" EB550Kbmiiipx displays share similar specs other than size. The HDR10 implementation on these monitors is only 300 cd / m² but the rated response time should be decent as it carries a 4 ms rating. You can read about the Japanese specifications here.

The most interesting thing about these monitors is the fact that the translation says that they are "flickerless" which could possibly mean FreeSync support but the input terminals only list HDMI 2.0 x 1 (HDCP 2.2 compatible), HDMI 1.4 x 2, DisplayPort 1.2 x 1 as connections.

300 nits would qualify this as "HDR Ready" like most televisions out there, not HDR10.

49" isn't too bad for desktop use. 43" would be perfect. 55" would definitely be too big.

Can't get to the Japanese site, I am guessing these are 16:9 and not 21:9

And this might be the flickerless part, this is an extract from the description of the X34 from Acer;
Reduce Fatigue
Stay in the fight for hours with Acer EyeProtect’s Flicker-less, Blue Light Filter, ComfyView and Low-dimming technology.

they release 27" and now 49" and 55".
What about in between especially 39-43? You know the ones most people are interested in.

Reactions: mord
like this
So they're basically TVs. Thanks, but no thanks.

~40" is now a weird spot for panels, sadly. They're all low budget trash built for Black Friday TV sales.

4K PC gaming is such a niche thing, must not make sense financially to produce them specially w/ PC use in mind.

these things are huge......my TV is 55" and i sit a-ways back from it. I hooked up my PC to it once to play some BF3 once.....I sat 4 feet away from it and i still had to look around lol.
In all seriousness, its crazy to see monitor tech move into the size arena because honestly you are moving into areas where you have to physically move your head to see whats on the screen. Unless you sit more than 6 feet away.....which at that point whats the point? There is always a sweet spot for monitor size / resolution.
So I'm curious if anyone has the break down for this?

why are they announcing this product just days after the end of E3??? acer blows anyway.

Aver has come a long way in the last few years, I am kind of interested in seeing what this monitor can actually do once it gets released.

why are they announcing this product just days after the end of E3??? acer blows anyway.
Stuff announced just before or during E3 gets forgotten in the constant barrage of releases and announcements, stuff just after is bound to stick a little, as there is less to take its place in your head.

Aver has come a long way in the last few years, I am kind of interested in seeing what this monitor can actually do once it gets released.

Stuff announced just before or during E3 gets forgotten in the constant barrage of releases and announcements, stuff just after is bound to stick a little, as there is less to take its place in your head.

idk i just recently watched a youtube video with a dude mad as hell at his new (big) acer hdr monitor he payed $2000 for but the things got built in cooling fans and sounds like a frickin dustbuster!!! screw that!!!

i'll try to find the vid and post a link.

here ya go! ---->

oh and did you see the GIGANTIC ACER BOOTH at E3 that had 3 little pedastools. AHAHAHA wtf!!! na man they didn't want the REAL tech people to witness liftoff when trying to game or watch a moovie!!! i think it was a
Gamers Nexus video.

idk i just recently watched a youtube video with a dude mad as hell at his new (big) acer hdr monitor he payed $2000 for but the things got built in cooling fans and sounds like a frickin dustbuster!!! screw that!!!

i'll try to find the vid and post a link.
I sad they've come a long way not that they weren't fucking up royally on a constant basis, but with every pile of shit they produce one golden nugget squeaks by.

But yeah that monitor was way behind schedule and long overdue, they have been promising it since late 2016, I think somebody decided to just ship it because the alternative was cancelling it and they were just too late into the process to use the hardware else ware. I am not surprised that it is a costly under performing behemoth, but they will probably still sell enough of them to make it worth while.

My 43' 4k TV/monitor is packed and ready to be returned as I found it too big (height was the problem, not width). I went back to 34' ultrawide I have been using for past 3 years and 43' tv would be totally fine if it was in 21:9 format but at 16:9 I really found top portion of TV screen inefficient (gaming was fine but general browsing was sort of a pain in the ass as I had to look up constantly because top part of desktop out of my "natural" vision field/area).

I really find it hard to believe one can use 49" 16:9 monitor comfortably at close range.

49" and 55" IPS monitor...oh, I can't wait to have most of my picture covered in milky glow with a contrast ratio <500.

Is this headline worthy news?

The only interesting thing is that these might have freesync, but "flicker free" usually refers to the backlight, not adaptive refresh.

they release 27" and now 49" and 55".
What about in between especially 39-43? You know the ones most people are interested in.

They already have a pretty damned good 34" ultrawide although 21:9 might not be your thing. And why do you say that most people are interested in 39-43? You have a survey or sales figures? I know I don't want a monitor that size, not at all. My 34" X34 is like a stretched ultrawide version of a 27" and I like it a lot.

Now I do want a good 40"-43" TV that also works good for computer display, but mostly it's just for movies cause the 34" isn't that great for that.

I can also tell you that 27" 16:9 is a perfect size to match with a 34" 21:9 ultrawide if they have the same relative resolution. For instance, I have a 24" Dell S2417DG which is just a little too small physically although the resolution is perfect, the S27DG would have been perfect all the way around for that content that isn't really so good at 21:9 which includes movies, so that's why I'd rather have a 4K 40-43" TV as well, and if I am going to buy that, well why not ask for good computer display as well.

But that's what I like, maybe you want something else. I just don't agree with your comment about what most people want.

these things are huge......my TV is 55" and i sit a-ways back from it. I hooked up my PC to it once to play some BF3 once.....I sat 4 feet away from it and i still had to look around lol.
In all seriousness, its crazy to see monitor tech move into the size arena because honestly you are moving into areas where you have to physically move your head to see whats on the screen. Unless you sit more than 6 feet away.....which at that point whats the point? There is always a sweet spot for monitor size / resolution.
So I'm curious if anyone has the break down for this?

Although I mostly agree, in that I am like you. I do see some dude sitting back away from the computer, using it to surf or game or watch some movies. I see them as the console controller type though, like a Steam Link setup with a Steam Controller. But I don't want to game like that and I don't even like games that are ported from console titles because I don't like that kind of gaming interface. Keyboard and mouse for me or it's go home.

I sad they've come a long way

i'm sad they came a long way too. its probably because "consumers" that don't know shit about what they are buying, a lot of the time, buy the cheapest thing because it has comparable specs. its just too bad it's not a comparable product.

I dont think I'd like a 49" monitor, 40-43" would be the sweet spot at 4k for me. I never owned an acer monitor and all those I've seen haven't impressed me but I can't say I've spent time with any recent high end acer monitor either.

But issues like this high end acer monitor is enough to keep me away.
here ya go! ---->

That monitor is SO bad its almost funny, that glow on black background with the mouse cursor is HORRIBLE and that fan noise UNBELIEVABLE !
Assuming the thing is almost silent with the stock mount, I'm thinking that it should be possible to drill a few hole on the adapter plate or maybe mount it with a few washer to have gap so that it can draw some air in (or both).
But that is not something you should have to do on a monitor of that price tag and that white glow on dark background is a deal breaker by itself anyway for me.

That monitor is SO bad its almost funny, that glow on black background with the mouse cursor is HORRIBLE and that fan noise UNBELIEVABLE !
As explained in the news thread, the blooming around the mouse cursor is a typical problem of IPS panels and exacerbated by HDR. All IPS monitors, even the most expensive ones, suffer from this to some degree. If that bothers you, buy a VA monitor instead.
The loud fan is quite possibly due to mounting the spacer in the wrong orientation. There come apparently no instructions with it, and it is possible to mount both ways as someone wrote.
Edit: another video here shows the spacer up close, it seems actually be designed to cover the fan. Really poor engineering by Acer.

So the situation is only half ¾ bad. This does of course not excuse Acer from delivering such a cheaply-made embarrassment at $2500.

Last edited:
As explained in the news thread, the blooming around the mouse cursor is a typical problem of IPS panels and exacerbated by HDR. All IPS monitors, even the most expensive ones, suffer from this to some degree. If that bothers you, buy a VA monitor instead.
The loud fan is quite possibly due to mounting the spacer in the wrong orientation. There come apparently no instructions with it, and it is possible to mount both ways as someone wrote.

So the situation is only half bad. This does of course not excuse Acer from delivering such a cheaply-made embarrassment at $2500.

I never noticed it on my LG 3440x1440 (34UC97) but now that you mention it if I get closer on a black background and I focus on the mouse pointer I can see some very very slight blooming, nothing to be compared with that acer in the video.
I cant even see it if I look for it at my normal viewing distance (maybe in a tottaly dark room)

I've got a LG 31" MU97 10bit 99.5% Adobe RGB/100% SRGB 320cd 4096x2160 set next to a HiSense 55" 4k/HDR10 t.v. in the cave. The LG's picture quality is pretty amazing and at 31" its really surprised me at how well the 4k actually looks even though its not HDR. I've spent much of the last 10 years with 27" displays and thought it would be too big. Meanwhile heard the rap from many on how you need at least 49-55" to really see 4k and after this I have to totally disagree. The LG's colors are on a tier of their own. It's my go to when I really want to 'see' how something really looks. Even more surprising is that when it comes to contrast in gaming(MEA & RE7) the displays nearly match each other but the LG blows anything else in terms of clarity and colors. I honestly feel that only an OLED could outperform it.

My point being, 4k Monitors with HDR, in all its convoluted forms, has really become a smoke and mirrors game. I advise anyone looking to look deeper into the specs for what color spectrum's, contrast ratios, refresh rates, lighting type, panel type, and response times. HDR in terms of monitors seems to be more of a hook rather than an actual PC gaming enhanced feature. Oddly enough I would say the complete opposite for t.v.s and watching movies. That HiSense shines there and generally speaking it seems most HDR10/DolbyVision t.v.s do great things for movies.

I'd really like to see a DolbyVision/HDR10 1440p 165hz g-sync/freesync 100% Adobe RGB 500-1000 nits 2-5ms response 27-31". Wouldn't drop over $1000 on it but I grab quick at around 700-800. You know, something that can make a Vega 64/1080TI shine to their best potential.

I don't care about that 300 cd / m² brightness. All displays are capable of blinding me with bright scene if I game in total darkness. But none can give that uber black (OLED is extremely close).
If the display manufacturer can only boast about brightness when talking HDR, I know it's crap.

But none can give that uber black (OLED is extremely close).
I have an AOC Q3279VWF, which is a very inexpensive (<200€) 31.5" 1440p 75 Hz FreeSync VA monitor.
According to the pcmonitors.info review, its black level at factory default is 0.05 cd/m². If you turn the brightness slider all the way down, it drops even below the precision of their colorimeter (0.01 cd/m²).

With OLED you have the problem that while perfect black is possible by turning off the pixel, the minimum pixel-on brightness is quite a step up from that, which can lead to visible banding.

My Acer Predator X34 I got at launch is still the Perfect Gaming display for me. I feel 34" 3440 x 1440 is THE sweet spot for viewing , size and performance. Gonna be tough to beat this unless they pull an HDR version out

Back