Acer AL1716 LCD goes black after 3 seconds

I have an Acer AL1716 LCD that will only turn on and show an image for about three seconds before going to a black screen. While it is on you can hear a high pitch noise coming from the unit.

I'm not an LCD guru and I was wondering if anyone might know what typically causes this type of problem. The inverter?...power supply?...a capacitor?

I'm no expert either, but.... If you can still see the screen content but very without any illumination (it will be almost black, you have to look very closely and carefully to make out the image), then it could be a problem with either the inverter or back lighting. If you don’t see anything at all, then it could be the power supply or something else.

Thanks for the reply...I held up a flashlight and found that I can see the image. So, is it starting to look like the inverter is the culprit? What else controls the backlight?

It's either the inverter, or the backlight itself. Either way, considering you're talking about a 17" LCD repair costs may well exceed the cost of a nice 20 or 22" widescreen to replace it.

Yeah, I wasn't looking to pay for a repair, but if it was something as simple as soldering in a new capacitor I would have given it a shot. I was mostly interested in learning how these things work and what typically causes problems like this.

Yeah, I wasn't looking to pay for a repair, but if it was something as simple as soldering in a new capacitor I would have given it a shot. I was mostly interested in learning how these things work and what typically causes problems like this.
you are hearing a whineing. The lcd itself has a floursent backlight so i assume it's the part that is equal to a ballast on a lightbulb. Am i right just curious? anybody?

It's likely. Easiest fix would be buying a new inverter board if they're available. I got a new inverter for my ASUS laptop for $10 direct from them. You might contact Acer and see if they have replacement parts available.

Back