Acer Admits Hackers Stole Up To 34,000 Customer Credit Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bad news for anyone that bought an Acer computer last year using the company's online store. An Acer spokesperson said that an unauthorized outside party had taken an entire year's worth of credit card data, names, addresses and three-digit security codes. :(

If you bought an Acer device from the company's store in the last year, there's a chance that your credit card info was hijacked. The Taiwan-based company informed California's attorney general that attackers made off with the "name, address, card number, expiration date and three-digit security codes" of users between May 12, 2015 and April 28, 2016. It sent form letters to the 34,500 affected customers, all of whom are in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.

We all know how this story goes. It starts off as a year of transactions and customer information initially. Later on you will find posted as a blurb on a blog that it was from the past 5 years and a sorry message.

Reactions: Liver
like this
between May 12, 2015 and April 28, 2016. It sent form letters to the 34,500 affected customers, all of whom are in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.

Hmm I ordered from them on March 11th this year, did not receive any notification of this.

HA - I was wondering who stole my info....my card data was used fraudulently a mere 2 months after my X34 purchase via the refurb website.

Wow, way to store that information securely. I didn't see anything up on Acer's website which is just sad. Went to the Acer forums and didn't see anything and nothing found on the store website.

What about online Acer monitor purchases? I already got a new cc 1-2 months ago ... someone used it at GroupOn.

Why wasn't this information encrypted.
Plus they should not be storing the three-digit security codes, or at least they should be purging the code once they have verified the card as ok.

Just dumb, dumb, dumb.

My company sells to other businesses, normally we just bill the companies, but occasionally we have someone who needs to pay by credit card.
In these rare cases, everything is done on paper. The credit card information is never put into our accounting or sales systems so that we don't have to worry about a credit card breach.

Back