Acer A500 Official 3.1 update

C7J0yc3

[H]ard|Gawd
Good News Everyone! The Acer A500 official rom has been leaked! Officially this would have pushed OTA on july 5, but I can't wait two weeks, so here it is now!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1136900

I unrooted first, then installed the official rom without issue.

WARNING: Unless you use the pre-rooted ROM (check around page 10 I think for mirror) all the standard rooting methods will fail. Now that they have added exchange support I no longer need root so I don't care, but for those who can't live without it beware.

So far I haven't had any issues, but one thing noticeable instantly are the speakers. So much better then they were at 3.0.1

How do you know this is "official"? I went to the page to download update.zip and I could not read it. Seems like a great way to get a virus on your PC and muck up your Acer.

Do you have video of this running? How do you know it's not sending off your personal data to some hacker space on the internet? :)

Don't have video at the moment, but here is a tagged about screen.

img0211tb.jpg

I found this out this morning via this article on Engadget
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/27/android-3-1-update-for-acer-iconia-tab-a500-leaks-out-in-china/

The reason the page you saw was in Chinese was because it was the upload site the OP decided to use. There are links to megaupload later in the thread. As far as it being laced with botnet and other malicious code I have it setup on a wireless network that I am currently running snort as well as a wireshark capture on looking for anything even remotely suspicious. So far no traffic.

thanks for the extra info. I have the zip file that I got from the megaupload. Do you have clear instructions on installing it? I'm currently working through the posts to xda but there always seems to be unclear info there (IMO). What steps did you use to install?

found this at xda

I've put it on my A500. Dropped the update.zip onto the microSD card. Re-installed the card, then booted up the tablet by holding both the power and volume (closest to power) button down until it started up. A little script showed up, then it went into the android figure doing its work. Now on:
Android 3.1,
Kernel 2.6.36.3-00005-g5dff38c,
Build Number Acer_A500_3.019.04_com_gen1

Here is what I did to upgrade

1: Un-root (some are saying they upgraded while rooted without issue, but I didn't want to take any chances).
2: Put the MicroSD in my PC and transferred the update.zip file to the root of the SD card.
3: Powered off the tablet.
4: Inserted the SD card
5: Powered on the tablet and held both the power and volume up (in landscape mode the left most volume button) until I saw white text stating "Searching for update.zip" showed up in the most upper left hand corner of the screen.
6: At this point the update unpacks and validates itself. Once validated you will see the android update screen with a progress bar.
7: Once complete the device restarts again and everything is normal, except you have updated firmware.

Again as a warning, if you want a rooted device you need the pre-rooted firmware as CWN and Gingerbreak don't work.

Question:

On #5, when you hold the power and volume up (in landscape) are you pushing on the right side of the volume rocker, or the left side? I think volume up is the right size of the rocker.

Thanks.

You press on the left side (side closest to the power button).

Cool. So how is the update to 3.1 working for you? If you plug your Iconia into your PC can you see the external microSD card? Have you tried 1080p out over HDMI yet? What other differences do you notice, if any?

Unfortunately still no SD when plugging into the PC which sucks. I have not tried 1080p out over HDMI yet, but can soon.

The two biggest things I notice (and the whole reason I upgraded) was return of native exchange support, and the fact that the tablet no longer randomly wakes up in the middle of the night or during the day when it isn't doing anything.

Back