• Dell 2407 FPW

Votes: 72 48.6%
  • other (please post a comment!)

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
title says it all.

one thing to note is that i am in canada. as of right now i cant find a distributor of the 2423WDR but im sure if i nag ncix to look into it they might. course ill try to find another supplier.

im not buying from dell.com (or rather dell.ca). not after there telling me "$850 is a sale" when i can find it at that much for regular prices on 3 other sites :\.

one thing to note. i game fast-paced first person shooters at a cal-im level (oh yea soo leet :D). i have heard two people whine about "signal lag" on the Acer 2416. not response time, they both said there was no ghosting, but signal lag in that if i looked left it would actually take a few MS to show me looking left on the screen.

this is critical. i cant have this, at all. average reaction time is 200ms. ping + bad signal lag = me shooting like a nub. i already have to put up with stoopid scope lag with the awp. i have heard no such complaints about the dell 2407.

has the signal lag issue been resolved in the revision?

anywho, yeah. both look like good monitors, both look good for the price. tell me your opinions

if you voted other please list it! of course it has to fall under the catagory of 23" or 24" monitor.

thanks!

Actually, look around for the other acer threads I posted in, one person measured the acer lag at about 30ms. The dell and samsung 24 inchers both measured on average between 35-60ms. I'm personally getting the acer.

problem is which acer :/ again this is the 2423, and i think youll find that most 24" acers people have are the 2416.

too the people who posted other and didnt suggest....... >.<

I have a Dell 2407 and like it. I cannot "feel" the lag and the color is awesome. The monitor gives graphics a little extra punch due to it's fidelity.

I have a 2407 and I haven't had any issues at all with it. That being said, I've never even seen a picture of the Acer, so I can't draw a comparison. On the Dell I have experienced zero lag playing first person shooters (Quake 4 mostly).

Looks amazing in everything I do. :)

MrWizard6600 said:
problem is which acer :/ again this is the 2423, and i think youll find that most 24" acers people have are the 2416.

too the people who posted other and didnt suggest....... >.<

It was the 2423. Again, the 2 guys in here [including sixfootduo] are very happy with the acer.

I just bought the acer (AL2423WDR) and it's on a truck for delivery as I type. wewt. pics and review later!

Definetly keep us posted on that. The last 2 guys kinda crapped out with the reviews they were gonna do...they never came back and did a real one, lol.

I will.. plus it's been so long since I have anything worthy of a new entry in the "show off the your desk area thread".. er, I mean show off your LCD thread. ;) I just hope Mr. UPS drops it with no sig.. or else I hope he comes by after 5:30... else I have to drive to the station around 7pm to get it.. and you better believe I will be doing that if I have to. lol

OH SNAP!

08/11/2006 11:01:00 DELIVERED[D]

time to get sick.. *cough* ACK!! ;)

yeah get some sidebysides or something.

actually this post is really just a kick to this threads nads to get people talking

Wellllllllllllllll... I got the AL2423 today... it's gaming performance is really snappy! all I can say is /wow/.. feels like a crt.. but I have been on an older 25ms lcd for a while.. but I was really stunned at how fast it is.. or, lagless. Anyways.. I am really happy with it so far.. the crispness of the picture is excellent.. the color dept and seperation is also excellent.. rich and sharp colors.. good blacks.. NO dead pixels. YAY... for the price I think it's awesome. really glad I went with this acer. That's it for now.. going back to gaming :)

PS: I posted a couple pics in the "show off your LCD setup" thread.

Wow the Acer looks like a wannabe Dell without the metal. I'd say cosmetically you went the wrong way, :p That Acer bezel is pretty ugly...

Performance wise, shrugs. :p

I don't know, I think it looks fine.. the 2407 is really flashy and sleek.. but I've been hearing to many mixed reports about it's performance.. Anyways..it'll do for now. :)

aznx said:
Wow the Acer looks like a wannabe Dell without the metal. I'd say cosmetically you went the wrong way, :p That Acer bezel is pretty ugly...

Performance wise, shrugs. :p

quite frankly i perfer the plastic.

anywho. does anyone have any reviews? id be really nice if we could find a head-to-head of these two guys... but i cant.

I just got mine in. 2 day shipping from newegg, god I love when stuff comes from thier NJ warehouse. Anyway, the rest of the computer isn't here yet, so when I build it I will do a review.

My 2423 is on the truck for Delivery as we speak :) I don't have a 24" Dell to compare it to but I'm upgrading from a 2005fpw. Can't wait to hook it up and see that beautiful 1920x1200 desktop.

I can only compare the 2423 to my old Sceptre X23s, but it's so many lightyears ahead of the old monitor that it's almost a joke... I do have a smaller and non-WS 1905 on my desk, which also boasts a 1000:1 contrast ratio and the Acer looks better to me, color and contrast-wise, but again I don't think it's the apples to apples comparison we're looking for here.. anyways.

I love my 2005fpw's sitting here at work, but I'm just not willing to take the risk on the 2405's - and from the sounds of it the Acer is a bit better in latency and image quality. Will have to see. I will miss the extra inputs and the USB ports of the Dell's and I think they look a bit better, but none of that is really a huge selling point to me.

I don't think you will be disappointed either way, but my vote goes to the dell just for the added bells and whistles

i got the 2416W (with DVI) and its awesome! i think the model you speak of is only different in that you can rotate the monitor and some other little things.

GREAT monitor!!

-=PESTILENCE=- said:
I'll know in a few hours. Building my conroe system when i get home from work :)

awesome... yes! let us know, I am very interested in this monitor too.

Nice... yeah, I got my E6600 a couple days ago.. now I need an nforce 590 intel edition mobo.. always something to wait for..

Ok, this is just a first impression of using it to install windows, and then all my games, etc. Didn't spend alot of time, but I did try a few out.

First impression would be: "HOLY $H1T, this thing is huge!!!!" lol, funny enough, its not TOO big. It's actually perfect for viewing about 2-3 feet away from it, even at the 1920x1200 resolution. And yes, when you first turn it on, it's like looking into the sun. I tuned my brightness down to about 45. Text is awesome on it with ClearType enabled.

As for gaming, I fired up UT2004, Quake4, CS, and HL2 to test it out. Input lag is pretty much non-existent. I can't feel a difference between it and my Viewsonic 19" 6ms. And as for the 6ms on the Acer, its pretty much spot on. I do notice some *slight* ghosting when playing some super-fast areas of games, but its actually more of a slight motion blur, kinda like a toned down cinematic effect, rather than full blown ghosting. It doesn't bother me at all and i'm very picky about those things.

One thing I was surprised with was the scaling. First off, I'm pretty sure it is supposed to scale 1:1, but that hasn't worked on mine yet, possibly driver/vid card issue. BUT, while installing windows, my friends came in and said "wow, that display looks awesome, what resolution is that?" Hehe, i said "uh...this is 800x600 strecthed out..." They were floored. This thing barely distorts the image. From 5 feet away, 800x600 stretched out looks crisp as anything. Even when I ran 3DMark, i don't have the registered version, so I can't change the res from 1280x1024, and the thing stretched it perfectly. I could barely tell it was in the wrong aspect ratio.

So there you have it. Best $700 I ever spent on a system [until I get some crossfire going, only got a single x1900xtx right now]. I'm definetly happy. If anyone wants me to test some stuff, I'd be happy if it's within my means. When I get home from work today I'm gonna test out some more games, and try to install photoshop and all that good stuff. I must say, HL2 at 1920x1200 with everything full on this thing [with 5.1 logitech speakers] is an amazing experience.

good to know, thanks a bundle. you dont happen to know of any way to actually test signal lag do you?

-=PESTILENCE=- said:
Hehe, i said "uh...this is 800x600 strecthed out..." They were floored. This thing barely distorts the image. From 5 feet away, 800x600 stretched out looks crisp as anything. Even when I ran 3DMark, i don't have the registered version, so I can't change the res from 1280x1024, and the thing stretched it perfectly. I could barely tell it was in the wrong aspect ratio.

Whooa whoa whoa, you MUST take a picture of that.

I have got to see 800x600 and 1024x768 (widescreen equivalents if possible) stretched out on that monitor from like 3-4 feet away.

MrWizard6600 said:
good to know, thanks a bundle. you dont happen to know of any way to actually test signal lag do you?

No, besides that stopwatch program, and that seems to be a little bit of a crapshoot anyway. i also don't have a crt to test against. BUT, i will say I cannot see any input lag whatsoever. Desktop use was smooth as anything, and the games I played weren't sluggish at all.

As for pics, I'll see if I can borrow one of my friend's digital cams and see if I can get some up here by the weekend. I'd use my RAZR, but the quality wouldn't do this thing justice.

-=PESTILENCE=- said:
As for pics, I'll see if I can borrow one of my friend's digital cams and see if I can get some up here by the weekend. I'd use my RAZR, but the quality wouldn't do this thing justice.

Awesome, also can you tell us if it has a glossy or matte anti-glare coating?

It's not glossy- at lest not that I can tell. but I am in a spot with no glare probs even if it were. I agree with PES though, it's input lag is non-existent.. it's extremely nice for games.. finally able to play HL2 EP1 the way it was meant to be played! :D

Yea, i'd say not glossy. I barely get any glare on it whatsoever. But thats not to say the color on it is drab, not by any means.

after debating this exact quesiont (acer vs dell), i finally plugged in my new acer 2423 about 2 hours ago. so far i'm stunned.

the dell has the advantage on two counts: the cool black casing and the usb/card slots. but the acer has not a single technical or display issue that i can find: no color banding, no lag, no input delay, crazy brightness...it's perfect. so i will continue to reach under my desk to plug in a flash drive and then smile when i look back up at the display. and the case a lot better on the desk that it did in the picture.

(if there is a minor fault with the acer, it might be the OSD; which is simple and fine, but not impressive).

quick question: what RGB setting have those of you who bought this monitor settled on?

barely spent 2 hours with mine yet...ive had work and band practice the past 2 days, hehe. I still have mine on all 100 [RGB] i think. I'm wondering what a good setting would be.

About the looks of the acer, i really like it. Matches my Antec p180 case now with the silver finish, shows less dust too.

One slight complaint I would have is the adjustments to the angle of the monitor aren't as 'sticky' as i'd like. when you angle it down, or side to side, u kinda gotta fiddle to make it stay. not a problem really, just a minor annoyance.

Ive had mine up and running for a week or so now, all I can say is wow. Sure it's missing the fancy USB ports of the Dell but the display is AMAZING, as others have said its SO bright you have to turn it down, the picture clarity and response of the display are both exceptional. I don't have a single complaint about this monitor so far.

It actually looks a lot better in person than it did in the pictures, I recently visitied a friends house with it, his comment was "..you might have to fight your way out of here if you plan on taking that monitor with you..." it's impressed everyone that's seen it.

I 100% reccomend this if your looking for a resonably priced 24", I havent tried the 1:1 scaling or resolutions other than 1920x1200 yet, maybe I'll load up WoW and HL2 at a lower resolution and see how it looks if I have time.

Back