Acer 120Hz 23.6" 1920x1080 LCD... but it's orange!

I have been using the 5870 for over 2 weeks now and no problem, idle clock is 400/1200, my 2233rz runs just fine at 120hz and the old 19" at 60hz. Maybe dual monitor mode triggers a higher idle clock that fixes the 120hz issue?

It seems like it, cuz on stock idle clocks of HD5870 are below 200 If I remember correctly.

Dabs sent me a mail saying that 8th Feb is the availability date for the GD245HQ in the UK, and the same date is also on the Kikatek website.

Nvidia have been using them to demonstrate 3D Vision Surround at CES:
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...re/0574511.htm

Looks like you can get it from Scan on the 22nd Jan...

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/236-...descreen-2-ms-1920x1080-800001-120Hz-Speakers

Quick question about these 120hz monitors.

Are you required to use dual link dvi to get 120fps... or does that just apply to getting maximum native resolution?
I know if you use dual you get more bandwidth, but am not sure how much bandwidth you need over DVI for 120hz at native res.

Single-link DVI can run 1920x1200@60hz, you need dual-link for anything much higher, including 120hz. The bandwidth you need is easy...its double. Also need dual for the 1680x1050 120hz monitors that are out now. If in theory they made a 1024x768@120hz LCD, it would only need single-link.

And we wont see a 2560x1600@120hz, since it would blow right past dual-link specs and require some non-existent (that I know of) HDMI variant instead.

Last edited:
You could have a separate dual-link DVI interface for each side of the screen. It would require the eyefinity drivers or something similar to be useful but it's possible. (that's actually what I thought dual-link DVI was until I read into it)

Thanks Ritorix, good to know.

I'm curious about the post below

Code:
[B]Originally Posted by shiznit[/B]
I have been using the 5870 for over 2 weeks now and no problem, idle clock is 
400/1200, my 2233rz runs just fine at 120hz and the old 19" at 60hz. Maybe dual 
monitor mode triggers a higher idle clock that fixes the 120hz issue?

How did he manage to get the sammy working at 120hz as well as another monitor?

Sounds to me like he rigged up the 19" to the 1st DVI port and the Sammy to the 2nd.
But that would mean that the Sammy is not running at 120hz, due to lack of capacity.

Confused :(

Thanks Ritorix, good to know.

I'm curious about the post below

Code:
[B]Originally Posted by shiznit[/B]
I have been using the 5870 for over 2 weeks now and no problem, idle clock is 
400/1200, my 2233rz runs just fine at 120hz and the old 19" at 60hz. Maybe dual 
monitor mode triggers a higher idle clock that fixes the 120hz issue?

How did he manage to get the sammy working at 120hz as well as another monitor?

Sounds to me like he rigged up the 19" to the 1st DVI port and the Sammy to the 2nd.
But that would mean that the Sammy is not running at 120hz, due to lack of capacity.

Confused :(
how did I manage? I plugged the sammy into dvi port 1 and the 19" into dvi port 2.

The sammy IS running at 120hz, are you kidding me? What capacity are you talking about? Each dvi port is dual-link.

I'm not surprised that you are confused... but being confused doesn't excuse bad manners.

Last edited:
HTML:
how did I manage? I plugged the sammy into dvi port 1 and the 19" into dvi port 2.

The sammy IS running at 120hz, are you kidding me? What capacity are you talking 
about? Each dvi port is dual-link.

I'm not surprised that you are confused... but being confused doesn't excuse bad 
manners.

Shitznit, I don't know how I have offended you, but apologise if I have done so.

The box of my 4870 Toxic says "PCI-E Dual DVI-I / TVO" I assumed it was dual because there were 2 DVI ports :)

I was under the impression "Dual" meant using both DVI ports. Obviously I am mistaken, and there are 2 different types of ports, Single and Dual. Reason for my asking, is that I am thinking about buying another Sapphire 4870 Toxic to run as Crossfire, then getting the Acer.

With what you've said above, it will work if I use 2 displays on 1 graphics card. But what if I buy another card to run in Crossfire... I'm guessing it will have the same affect.

I was under the impression "Dual" meant using both DVI ports. Obviously I am mistaken, and there are 2 different types of ports, Single and Dual. Reason for my asking, is that I am thinking about buying another Sapphire 4870 Toxic to run as Crossfire, then getting the Acer.

I used to make a same mistake too. Dual-link DVI is just normal DVI with more pins in use. And of course requires a cable that has those extra pins, a dual-link DVI cable.

Thanks Maza,

Am I correct in assuming that

Single DVI = DVI-D
Dual DVI = DVI-I

And that DVI-I can be converted into HDMI without loss of quality (over a short cable).

I'm assuming this is the case, because my 4870 box says "HDMI", yet it has DVI-I connectors on the card. This is fine, as I can convert DVI-I to HDMI with no problem.

Single DVI = DVI-D
Dual DVI = DVI-I

No, you don't have it right yet. DVI-D is digital only, DVI-A is analog only, and DVI-I is integrated with both digital and analog. The analog part of DVI-I and DVI-A is what allows the existence of simple DVI to VGA adapters.

DVI-I and DVI-D can be converted into HDMI because (to oversimplify a bit) HDMI is DVI + sound.

Dual DVI uses sockets and cables that have double the bandwidth of standard DVI; Dual DVI is required for 2560x1600@60Hz, 1680x1050@120Hz and 1920x1080@120Hz. Dual DVI does nothing but double the bandwidth; it does not increase or decrease signal strength or image quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface

Thanks Maza,

Single DVI = DVI-D
Dual DVI = DVI-I

And that DVI-I can be converted into HDMI without loss of quality (over a short cable).

I'm assuming this is the case, because my 4870 box says "HDMI", yet it has DVI-I connectors on the card. This is fine, as I can convert DVI-I to HDMI with no problem.

No. DVI-I is a DVI port that also sends analog signal, so you can use DVI->VGA adapter on those if you happen to have old CRTs or such around. Every DVI port in graphics cards are capable of sending dual-link signal, (or atleast, I have NEVER seen a DVI port that has 6 holes missing in the middle) its just monitors happened to use half of the whole capacity of the DVI, until now that is.

Single link DVI to HDMI does not require any conversion, they both use same digital signal. HDMI just happen to have digital audiosignal too. So yes, DVI to HDMI is always lossless.

*edit* Damn, evilsofa beated me.

Last edited:
I've been following this post for 4-5 pages now, and finally decided to comment. I bought the Nvidia 3d vision at a reasonable price last week. I have a fantastic computer I built myself with Nvidia Graphics Card. The last piece of the puzzle is the monitor. I have a 25.5" Samsung now and its a beauty. But hence the 120hz is missing so I've been reading the samsung and viewsonic reviews for a month and even the modified viewsonic from the UK but I truly do not want to dip below 1080p and go so much smaller than my current 25.5. This acer seems to be the answer to all my problems. Should I wait the extra 4-5 weeks it may take to find one in USA or should i jump on a nice price i've seen for the viewsonic and lose 3.5 inches? Please someone give me their input. Thanks

You could always buy the Viewsonic, use it for a few weeks and then sell it on when the Acer is available. That's actually what I've done, but I'm very impatient :)

trilby, I am entertaining that idea, how do you like the viewsonic? will it satisfy me until the Acer is on the market?

The only bad thing about ViewSonic I think is it might have some excessive backlight bleed (depending on your luck as usual), otherwise it's a nice monitor. The construction could have been a bit better ofc but the performance and colors are great. It's got slightly less ghosting than Samsung 2233rz and 2233rz already got like twice as little ghosting as fastest 60Hz LCD.

I bought both Samsung 2233rz and ViewSonic VX2268wm and compared them both and decided to keep the ViewSonic due to a lot better colors (the Samsung had horrible blue tint and somewhat saturated colors that was not possible to remove completely, check here for a comparision when I tried to get the 2233rz to have as warm tint and as similar to ViewSonic as possible (r: 55, g: 26 and b: 0 on Samsung vs r:93, g:84, b:94 on ViewSonic) http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2576/img0264w.jpg). The BLB is quite heavy on my VX2268wm tho so that's my only issue with it, here's with brightness 100, 50 and 25:

http://img689.imageshack.us/i/img0271p.jpg/
http://img515.imageshack.us/i/img0268d.jpg/
http://img689.imageshack.us/i/img0274t.jpg/

At "25" it's actually quite a bit more noticable than on that picture, I use brightness setting of 25 normally to minimize the BLB. Still I can notice a slight conversion to bluish black even as high as ~6cm from bottom.

You can check more pics here http://img515.imageshack.us/g/img0264w.jpg/

Last edited:
RPGWiZaRD -
Thank you very much - I purchased a Viewsonic yesterday on amazon. That should satisfy me until the Acer comes out. Then its goodbye Viewsonic and hello 1080p.
Thanks for your help!

The only thing that bothers me is that I didn't take a pic of when both monitors were set to 100 on blue, green and red to show how extremely different factory calibrated they are but yea the settings used in those pics tells it quite well too and that it 2233rz still remains bluer despite blue is set to 0. When 2233rz had all colors set to same value it reminded me of if I was playing Avalanche in UT3 which is a snow and very blueish map. The 2233rz however has significantly better contrast ratio and very good for a TN panel which is good when looking at photos and movies for example but the colors didn't match its good contrast ratio anyways so that won't help too much.

Last edited:
I could deal with the orange if the price was right and the rez was what i've been using for the last 5 years. 1920x1080 is for TVs. C'mon manufacturers, I've waited so long for 24" 120hz, don't give it to me but skimp on the rez. I play Eve online, and you need every pixel of real estate you can get in that game.

OMG! Are the first 3 words i want to start my post with. This is because i still remember the day i trade in my CRT for a TFT like yesterday. Because it hurt so much. I didnt realise at the time i was used to smoothness (especially in Windows) and was heartbroken when i fired up my TFT for the first time. The mouse all of a sudden had 100 friends, all trailing behind it. What was this, i thought? And then gaming. It was almost as bad! But, i stuck with my TFT (because i sold my beloved Iiyama Vision Master Pro), and well, i couldnt really buy another CRT. So after a while i stopped gaming, bought a console, and stuck with my TFT (Samsung 970P at the time). From that day i realised how important a high refresh rate is, and since that day ive been waiting for THIS day. Yesterday it was the day, i ordered the Acer 120Hz monitor. After lurking on this topic for some time now, checking each and every post about new information on this monitor. And finally, yesterday, i ordered the Acer for ONLY! €325. For me, this amount of money and the pleasure and finesse it will bring, is nothing compared to what you get. Ironic, because yesterday was also the day i ordered Final Fantasy XIII (also a long awaited thing for me). Now, when i get the monitor ill post my findings (in about 2 weeks i hope). Plus! I hope my old PCI XFX GeForce 7600GT AGP can run the 1920x1080 @ 120Hz (In Windows), anybody know the answer to that question btw?

The waiting is ALMOST over!

Last edited:
I wish you good luck, and can't wait to hear about Acer results...but I'm afraid that 7600 is very much outdated and will struggle to run games in 1080p. Good Luck

Thanks. Haha, yeah forget about the games, i just want it to run Windows in 1080p 120Hz! Ill get a new PC in a few weeks time for the gaming in 1080p 120Hz. I can buy myself some time if the vid card accepts the 1080p 120Hz signal. Lets hope so!

So is there some sort of review embargo on this monitor? Why/how is digitalversus the only site to get ahold of one, and that was nearly a month ago? Need more in-depth reviews! Digitalversus had too much of a consumer perspective ("why wont my HDMI cable do 120hz??" "no usb hub", lol). Need one for gamers by gamers.

Last edited:
So is there some sort of review embargo on this monitor? Why/how is digitalversus the only site to get ahold of one, and that was nearly a month ago? Need more in-depth reviews! Digitalversus had too much of a consumer perspective ("why wont my HDMI cable do 120hz??" "no usb hub", lol). Need one for gamers by gamers.
They're out in Europe first; DV is in Europe.

rogercomley, let us know how you like it :) Once these hit the US I plan on getting rid of all my monitors and grabbing two of these to replace them if they're not too ugly (I loathe the orange color and the shape of the bezel and stand).

dr.stevil, i will write down my findings. but im amazed at how some people still think the monitor is orange. there are a ton of pics online (and a review!) of the monitor and its NOT orange! Its black with a black/orange stand (and a gorgeous orange at that). You can look it up at Google Images and type in Acer GD245HQ. So for the last time for all you readers, ITS NOT ORANGE!!! Alright i sound raged now, but im not. Im just in love with the monitor (already) and dont want people to badmouth it, eh ;)!

Ill make pictures and post my review on here when i get it (hopefully fast).

I also decided to sell my 22'' LG 60hz and check how well 120Hz perfroms, ordered viewsonic 2268 :)

Let's see how UT2k4 and BF2 runs now. Before I gamed at custom resolutions at 75Hz and even that made a difference

dr.stevil, i will write down my findings. but im amazed at how some people still think the monitor is orange. there are a ton of pics online (and a review!) of the monitor and its NOT orange! Its black with a black/orange stand (and a gorgeous orange at that). You can look it up at Google Images and type in Acer GD245HQ. So for the last time for all you readers, ITS NOT ORANGE!!! Alright i sound raged now, but im not. Im just in love with the monitor (already) and dont want people to badmouth it, eh ;)!

Ill make pictures and post my review on here when i get it (hopefully fast).

I know the whole thing isn't orange anymore, but the little that still is, bothers me. It just wouldn't look right with the rest of my setup/desk.

however, if it performs good, who cares how it looks

kiwi.fruit, good choice :) I think you'll be quite happy

If you want a black bezel theres the alienware 120hz:
http://3dvision-blog.com/alienware-revealed-optx-aw2310-23-3d-full-hd-widescreen-monitor/

Its listed right now for $499.
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=Alienware+OptX+AW2310&cat=all&x=0&y=0

Panel Size: 23″ Widescreen, 16:9
Panel Type: TN – Twisted Nematic
Native Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
Contrast Ratio: 80000:1 (dynamic)
Brightness: 400 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time: 3ms (typical) (grey-to-grey)
Viewing Angle : 170°/ 160°
Color Support : 16.7 million colors
Color Gamut: 83.4%
Refresh Rate: 120Hz (3D Capable)
Video Connectivity: DVI x 1, HDMI x 1
Audio Connectivity: Yes; Audio In and Out (2.0)
USB Ports : Yes: 4 USB 2.0
User Input / Controls: Touch Capacitive OSD Buttons
Stand: Tilt, Swivel and Height Adjustable

I have a 2233rz and yes it is very blue. So if you get this monitor make sure you like the color blue =)

I've now had the viewsonic for 4 days and can say I am happy with it. The little ghosting at the top of the screen does appear, but it blows my 25.5" Samsung out in terms of speed and response of monitor. But I do miss 1080p and the few extra inches. This Acer SHOULD cure all of my concerns. I just hope its priced between $349 and $399.

If they price it under 400.00 it will, no doubt, be a hit. Lets hope others start to jump on board

I'd love to own a 30" 120hz :) Manufacturers shouldn't even be making 60hz displays anymore, outside of IPS and entry level displays

Back