Ace Combat 7 Gets New VR Trailer

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Bandai Namco showed off a new VR Trailer for Ace Combat 7 at PlayStation’s TGS Lineup Tour. Ace Combat 7 is scheduled for a cross platform release in January 2019. As of now, VR support is limited to an unknown number of missions in Playstation VR, but Bandai Namco hasn't explicitly ruled out Occulus/Vive support sometime in the future.

Check out the trailer here.

Interestingly, the friendly planes in the trailer have Mobius squadron insignias.

Ace Combat 5 had an "arcade mode" campaign separate from the main one, centering on the Mobius Squadron from Ace Combat 4. That conflict involving Mobius squadron in AC4/5 was on a different continent with different nations than the ones featured in Ace Combat 7 campaign so far. This is just speculation on my part, but I would bet on Ace Combat 7 following in 5's footsteps, with a campaign centering on a war involving Osea and a totally separate VR "Arcade Mode" featuring Mobius squadron somewhere in Usea.

Last edited:
Graphics look good if that was in game footage. Game dynamics remain to be seen...

Hopefully the game has been delayed to make it good for PC and not the 1/10 of 1% that have a PSVR setup...

This looks like they finally are going back to Ace Combat roots, I'm so happy. Ace Combat 6 (go dance with angels) and Ace Combat Assault Horizon were both complete garbage. I really hope this goes back to a decent story and just a bunch of crap for me to blow up without some "dogfight mode".

Very disappointed. I did not see even one bi plane. Graphics looked alright though.

Very disappointed. I did not see even one bi plane. Graphics looked alright though.
Don't get them started, they will probably delay it again to retrofit some steampunk biplanes piloted by furry convention attendees to make it more "accessible" to american consumers.

Unless Sony has some exclusive VR deal I don't see why they couldn't have PC VR ready at launch. You already have the shit built in.

Same with RE7 and it never getting VR.

I mean... it kinda looked like the last ones but in first person mode. But I think VR is where a game like this could shine. I liked the carrier takeoff and landings, but this is an arcade-ish game so you know that's either automated or some kind of QTE

This looks like they finally are going back to Ace Combat roots, I'm so happy. Ace Combat 6 (go dance with angels) and Ace Combat Assault Horizon were both complete garbage. I really hope this goes back to a decent story and just a bunch of crap for me to blow up without some "dogfight mode".

This was the biggest disappointment for me. The "Dogfight mode" was almost a handicap if you tried to get by without it, but going into it made it a touchy mess to try and fly through.
If you didnt follow close enough you would drop out, and it felt to me more like a shooter on rails than an open-combat system.

I have high hopes for this one and I hope there is enough nostalgia and pride in the developers to make it like the older ones than monopolize it into another free-to-play disaster.

Unless Sony has some exclusive VR deal I don't see why they couldn't have PC VR ready at launch. You already have the shit built in.

Same with RE7 and it never getting VR.
This. Just come out with a version for all the brands. Why exclude other systems.

I mean... it kinda looked like the last ones but in first person mode. But I think VR is where a game like this could shine. I liked the carrier takeoff and landings, but this is an arcade-ish game so you know that's either automated or some kind of QTE

Carrier landings were more or less manual in the previous games. You didn't deploy gear or anything like a flight sim and the physics were pretty forgiving, but you had full control of the craft from the initial approach to stopping on the ship.

That's one of the things that made the old games shine IMO. They struck a good balance between being arcadey and sim-like. The series did move to QTEs for awhile, and Bandai-Namco got an enormous amount of backlash for it.

Last edited:
God I hope they don’t screw this up, I’ve been waiting for a proper Ace Combat sequel for years. I don’t even care about VR, I just want the AC of old back.

Carrier landings were more or less manual in the previous games. You didn't deploy gear or anything like a flight sim and the physics were pretty forgiving, but you had full control of the craft from the initial approach to stopping on the ship.

That's one of the things that made the old games shine IMO. They struck a good balance between being arcadey and sim-like. The series did move to QTEs for awhile, and Bandai-Namco got an enormous amount of backlash for it.

VR mode is limited to an extra game mode last I checked. It is PS VR exclusive. It is not in the main campaign - the PS4 does not have the power for VR in the campaign missions. Or that is how it used to be. Maybe with the year + delay that has changed, but I doubt it.

Reason this will likely stay PS VR is I assume Sony is kicking some good money to Bandai-Namco. Remember this genre of game is dead otherwise. Everything is about cut/paste open world RPGs these days. They tried to westernize the game with Assault Horizon (aka shit), then made an online only free to play game. I don't think AC7 would have seen the light had it not been for some Sony advertising or funding.

Story wise I assume the VR mode is like the OP claims, a side story like AC5's arcade mode. Music in the trailer is clearly a remixed version of mission 5 blockade:

Clearly they're trying to hit at nostalgia but I also believe the VR mode's story will look back at the events circa 2005.

The main game story is clearly setting up the stage for the events of Ace Combat 3, hence the AI and scientist guy.

Looks like Hawx............yawn

Eh, HAWX was the uninspired Ace Combat clone. Ace Combat pre-ades HAWX by over a decade.

Last edited:
Did they show a PSVR trailer OR a VR trailer ?

"One of these things is not like the other"

Did they show a PSVR trailer OR a VR trailer ?

"One of these things is not like the other"

Has Playstation in the video title. Read my last post. Chances of VR mode coming to PC is slim. Too bad, because PC would have the power to run the campaign in VR mode. But keep in mind the gameplay and mechanics are different in it. The primary mode that you'll really want to play will be the campaign.

For those wondering, VR mode seems to be ~3 hours. Main campaign around 5. I am not sure if the 5 includes cut scenes, briefings or down time between missions.

For the PC release I really do hope they put in some extra content, because it would suck if we just have the VR mode pulled and have nothing else put in place.

Wait really? Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but that seems short for an AC campaign, replayability aside.

For modern games they're on the short side. Check How Long to Beat.com. AC5 shows about 7 hours, and that was longer than 4 and Zero. Did not play 6 as I did not get a 360. But yes, on average, they were around 6 or so hours. I run through Ace Combat 4 / Zero via emulator every now and then (60 frame rates, better resolution, and PS2 disc drive is finicky). The longest missions in AC04 were 20 minutes. And there were 18 if I recall.

Personally I don't mind. I'm tired of long, drawn out games. The good part about Ace Combat and similar games is they were good throughout, no filler content. Probably why it seemed longer. But yeah, I'd prefer if it was closer to 10 hours. But they delayed the game for a year so I am hoping they went back and added some extra missions to make it longer. 6-7 hours is a bit short even for me.

Back