Accidently deleted snapshot, anyway to recover? Still have the delta file.

Jerry_03

Weaksauce
so first off im a esxi noob and dont well understand how snapshots and delta files work. i realize i made a noob mistake

anyways I have a VM and I just realized I've been running the last 4 months as a snapshot. I decide I dont want it running as a snapshot so I select to delete the snapshot but half through the process i realize this a bad idea and click cancel. My VM still works but now its back to the state it was 4 months ago from before i created the snapshot. However in the directory, i still have the snapshot vmdk (delta) file. Heres the list files i have in the directory:

serverfiles.vmdk
serverfiles-flat.vmdk
serverfiles-00001.vmdk
serverfiles-00001-sesparse.vmdk

I'm not sure why its a sesparse instead of delta. maybe something to do with the botched snapshot cancellation, i dont know. So I want to try and recover the data that was in the snapshot delta file or winscp the delta file from my esxi to my pc and somehow extract it manually (maybe with poweriso?). Is there any hope or am I SOL?

Did you delete or revert back? Your text says delete, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like you actually reverted?

You can try powering off the VM, editing the disk and pointing it to the 00001.vmdk, and booting it.

you mean edit the .vmx file?

Please never try to edit files on VMFS file system if you aren't super super familiar with the ramifications.

I'd suggest shutting down the VM and doing a 'Consolidate Disks' operation. It will flatten all snapshots into a single VMDK at the state you were earlier today. Your VM was likely at 3 months ago because the VM is now pointing to base VMDK, instead of snapshot.

Back