Accidentally drooled on my iPhone (seriously)... sound is broken

RubbingAlcoholic

Limp Gawd
I was at my office and I opened up my mouth to say something to my partner, but instead of sound, a torrent of drool came out of my mouth and landed all over my iPhone. Like a shitload of drool.

I wiped it off, but now the speaker on the phone doesn't seem to work. When I receive calls the phone only vibrates and the "click" keyboard sound doesn't work. Oddly, the internal speaker works when watching movies. But nowhere else, games, ringer, speakerphone, etc. Doesn't work.

Everything else seems okay.

Is there something I should do that will repair the sound, or is my iPhone fucked?

So your special? Verrry special.

Drools has lots of "stuff" in it, if it got all over the speaker it may be preventing it from vibrating. Even if it drives, it may leave a residue that prevents the tin speaker from vibrating properly. Alochol, the purest rubbing alcohol you can get your hands on is usually very good and safe for cleaning electronics, evaporates very fast, and is a decent solvent. That's what I would try sort of flushing it with (with the power off!).

Don't know if it's safe for whatever the speaker is made out of, but would be my best guess.

So your special? Verrry special.

Maybe you're the "special" one (since you don't seem to know the difference between your and you're).

OP, if the speaker works when watching movies, then that proves the speaker is still functioning. Maybe you just need to reboot your phone? Do the full reset method: hold down on the home key & sleep button at the same time for several seconds until you see the Apple logo.

Actually I'm very special. Not only did I drool all over my phone, but I failed to realize that there's a little switch on it that puts it in silent mode.

Turn it completely off (not sleep), and toss it in a zip-lock bag full of rice for a day or two. Edit: Never mind, wow... But just for future reference...

try drying with with an air dryer maybe

I think that's generally a bad idea w/any kind of sensitive electronics, there's better ways to dry something and suck all moisture from it. A hair dryer could likely do more harm than good.

Just an FYI for the hair dryer comment:
Be aware that using the hair dryer can actually cause static build-up on electrical components... not exactly the result you want.
The suggestion about white rice is good, just to be on the safe side. And whenever there's a possibility of water damage, start by turning the electronics (in this case, the phone) off and making sure all parts (external and internal alike) are completely dry.

Don't worry about it. I only had the phone for a couple of weeks so I didn't even realize there was a switch there.

Back