Accessing Linux via Windows question

Paithar

[H]ard|Gawd
Here where I work they have a web server running some old version of Linux (I'm not sure what version at the moment). Anyway, on my pc I am running Windows 2000 and that's where I do my development work. What I need is some kind of shell or whatever that will allow me to access the linux web server from my Windows 2000 pc so that I can easily upload my files to the web server for testing in that environment. Basically I guess I'm looking for a way to access the command line of our linux web server.

I don't know how they currently upload my files from here but it's a pain in the ass for me to do my coding, send the file(s) to someone and have them upload to the web server. When I test, if I find something I need to change I have to go through the whole process again and sometimes they don't get the files uploaded for an hour or so which makes testing really tedious and take way longer than it needs to. It would much simpler if I could do it all on my own and not have to worry about bothering others.

Just SSH into the Linux machine and copy the code to Windows using copy/paste/. That is how I upload all my web pages to my Linux server from a XP laptop using Dreamweaver. All you have to then is FTP the images in the source to the Linux machine.

Use SSH for a command line on the Linux server, FTP for sending the occasional files there, or use Samba to actually map a folder/drive on the Linux server.

Thanks for the info. Here's another question. Here at work they actually want me to have a linux set up to actually do my development on as well as my Windows 2000 set up. I asked them if they'd mind if I did a dual boot on my pc with Linux and Windows and they said that they'd rather I just have another pc dedicated to linux and use a kvm switch to share monitor and what not. When I asked why they said because that way when I'm working on the linux box I could still receive my work email. What I'm wondering is, if I did a dual boot option couldn't I set up linux to access the network here at work and then somehow set up some linux email client to recieve my email?

I don't know if that's possible since if I would be in linux but the network is running off of microsoft exchange and what not.

Paithar said:
What I'm wondering is, if I did a dual boot option couldn't I set up linux to access the network here at work and then somehow set up some linux email client to recieve my email? ... I don't know if that's possible since if I would be in linux but the network is running off of microsoft exchange and what not.
Yes, you can make that work. There are exchange clients for linux that work most of the time. Sometimes there can be problems with complicated exchange setups, but it probably won't be an issue for you. I think Novell makes a for_charge$ solution, but I'm sure there is a free one somewhere. Though, the cost of the Novell solution will certainly be less than the cost of a second PC. I think Novell's product is called "Novell Evolution 2". Here is a link: http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/evolution.html

visaris said:
You don't need to go through all that trouble. SFTP (secure ftp) is implemented on top of SSH in every case I've ever seen. Just use SFTP to copy files back and forth. It's a lot less trouble than trying to copy and paste all over the place.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

For the GUI guys...

I've been using WinSCP for a while and works great. I havent fired up a FTP client aside from my browser in quite some time:

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

WinSCP is what I use (and recommend) for similar situations.

Back