Accessing Apps over the network

Stinger836

Gawd
Besides being illegal, if I placed a shortcut on one computer to an app on a server that had the app could that computer access it an use it with just normal setup (no AD or anything like that)?

The legality and the ability all depends on the program. Some don't like being ran from a network share, others don't even like being ran from a network drive. Others require that you have local information like registry entries etc etc.

You need windows terminal server.

You can not install any program on a server and run it from the desktop over the network. It has to be designed specifically for that setup (i.e. Quickbooks, etc). However with windows terminal server you can install the apps on the server then have people attach to it and run everything there. On the local machine the only application is the terminal server client.

Originally posted by Anthony.L
You can not install any program on a server and run it from the desktop over the network.

If you want multiple people to use the app simultaneously, that's often true. Apps like Quickbooks (which needs to protect the integrity of it's data files) have separate versions specifically written to accomodate multiple users simultaneously on a network.

But for most apps what bigstusexy said is correct - it depends on the app, mainly it depends on what the app requires in terms of local data like registry entries, etc.

- Qualm

You cannot successfully run MS Office just by putting shortcuts on each user's desktop. You need to go through the MS Office install procedure, which does a bunch of things to the local user's machine including registry entries, new .dll files in the system folder, and new folders and files in Documents and Settings.

You CAN install one central copy of MS Office and have all users installed from, and using, that copy, corporations (like mine) do that all the time.

Of course, you should have licenses for each of the machines you load it on.

- Qualm

Back