Accessing a passworded account over the network

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Ok, so long story short. I have no monitor/kb/mouse for a desktop. However I can boot the desktop up, connect it to the network and it'll get on just fine.

Now I need to get some files off the computer, but it wont let me in. I get this error:

\\name\c\Documents and Settings\user is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

I know the password to get on, though I didn't think I had it password protected to begin with, but anyway. How would I get into there so I can get those files (pictures)?

You can try hitting the administrator share if your account is either a local administrator or a domain admin. \\computername\c$. It should prompt you for your windows log on credentials.

You can try hitting the administrator share if your account is either a local administrator or a domain admin. \\computername\c$. It should prompt you for your windows log on credentials.

That kind of works, but it wont let me choose a username. It forces the username of this computer, then a password.

Well maybe that is the way to do it and I just can't remember the password.

How many tries do I get before Windows stops taking request? Cuz I've tried about 30 times, each one being wrong I think, and it continues to prompt for a password.

That kind of works, but it wont let me choose a username. It forces the username of this computer, then a password.

Are you using simple file sharing on the computer you're connecting from?

Can you edit the username? Put in remotecomputer\administrator in the username box, then put in a pw.

number one, the private admin share is c$ not just c ;)
two, map a network drive, and you should be able to enter in a different user/pass for the remote computer.

Yes thats all it is. Just file sharing.

It might be the correct user name, I can't remember. It wont let me change it though, it forces the username at the prompt. It could be right or it could be wrong. It's the same name on this computer, but I could have used the same one on the desktop too. Its been a while since I last used that computer, so I really can't remember.

I think I am just going to borrow an LCD from a buddy of mine, boot it up and just go in that way. Remove all the restrictions on the account, enable Remote Desktop on boot and setup a username/password on it. Then I should be done.

Really wish there was a way to not have to get that LCD, might be a few days on that. I'd really like to get it now.

Why not get a usb to ide/sata converter and just remove the drive and plug it directly into whatever computer you are trying to transfer the files to. The advantage with this is that if you don't have the password that you need, you can use a knoppix (or other linux boot) disc to transfer the files, since it will ignore the Windows security settings.

from your computer:

net use l: \\<ip address of headless computer>\c$ /user:<machinename>\<username>

if you get a message saying that you are already connected, type in:

net delete \\<ip address of headless computer>\IPC$

and try again.

If you're mixing XPHomeless with XPPro...stuff like this can happen. Often you can run in circles setting things up and it still beats you down. Just enable simple file sharing, and share out that My Docs folder.

Why not get a usb to ide/sata converter and just remove the drive and plug it directly into whatever computer you are trying to transfer the files to. The advantage with this is that if you don't have the password that you need, you can use a knoppix (or other linux boot) disc to transfer the files, since it will ignore the Windows security settings.

Yea I know, I really want to do this but I just don't really want to have to shell out the ~$20 or so for an enclosure yet. I know it's not much. I do have a 2.5" enclosure that's SATA, and it mates up to the hard drive just fine. Only problem is it's not powerful enough to power the hard drive. It has a place to plug in a 5v adapter to the enclosure, but it wasn't shipped with it. No idea where to get one or how much it would cost either. It's the Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure.

from your computer:

net use l: \\<ip address of headless computer>\c$ /user:<machinename>\<username>

if you get a message saying that you are already connected, type in:

net delete \\<ip address of headless computer>\IPC$

and try again.

I will try that, thanks!!

I failed reading comprehension :D

It's all good mate, thanks for the suggestion though. :D

If you're mixing XPHomeless with XPPro...stuff like this can happen. Often you can run in circles setting things up and it still beats you down. Just enable simple file sharing, and share out that My Docs folder.

The laptop I am using to access the desktop is Windows MCE and the desktop that I am accessing is Windows Professional.

I agree, I don't think he understands the difference between simple file sharing and "advanced" filesharing, he just thinks you're referring to windows file share.

To the OP, you need to disable simple file sharing, but in order to do so you need access to the windows gui either thru remote desktop, vnc, or direct. Open any folder and go to Tools > Folder Options > View Tab, then scroll to the bottom, there should be a checkbox for "use simple file sharing" uncheck it and apply. now when you go to your share properties, you will have a security tab where you can set up user permissions.

I'm not sure if this works in XP Home but try this on the system serving the files. Also make sure that the account you are trying to login with has a password set. Also, if you are trying to access c$ the account must also be an Admin account.

Start > Run: Type in 'gpedit.msc'

Computer Configuration > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
Look for 'Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts'
Double click and make sure it is set to 'Classic - local users authenticate as themselves'

Guys, if I had a way to physically access the computer I wouldn't be asking for help. All I have is a motherboard, cpu, power supply, hard drive, power cord and network cable.

I have no way of changing settings on the desktop without the use of a kb/mouse/monitor. If I had all three of those, then I'd be able to fix the file sharing permissions no problem, then again I'd just do what I need to do with those pictures on that computer, since Photoshop is installed on it as well. Sadly, those things were stolen from my a few months ago. Luckily the computer itself was hidden.

CyberTrip, are you saying the account on the computer I'm using to access the other computer needs to have a password set and I should run that on this computer? If you're wanting me to do that stuff on the computer I'm trying to access, I can't.

If all you're after is the contents of the My Docs folder...why not yank the hard drive, slave it to your new computer..boot up...copy 'em over, power down, remove old hard drive..and call it a day?

Or..take 3 minutes...yank keyboard 'n mouse 'n monitor from new computer, plug 'em into your old computer..boot up...adjust file sharing permissions...power down, yank keyboard/mouse/monitor...put them back on your main PC..boot 'em both up?

Yes, the system you are trying to access MUST have a password. Windows will NOT let you access it without a password, at least if you are trying to access the c$ share. I would say your best bet is to pull your HD and put it in another system or use an external hard drive carrier with USB converter.

Because a 3.5" hard drive wont fit in a notebook.

It's ok though, a friend of mine brought his LCD over to my house and I was able to get on and see if those files was there. Unfortunately, they wasn't so this was all a waste, although I did learn about the c$ which I never knew.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back