access permissions on w2k home file server

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
Long winded explenation (sorry)

I reciently toasted my NF7-S and decided to buy a new a64 setup. I RMA's the NF7-S and Abit is sending my a replacement so now i have a spare mobo/processor and a 3rd stick of ram that i cant use in my a64 (dc only).

I've decided to make a file server for storage of pics/mp3s/xvid/dvdrs/games/ect. I'm pretty much storing all this shit on my current system but i need more space and i dont want anymore noisy drives anywhere near me.

When i shared a system with my family, i had my own harddrive that i gave access to only my user account in wXP so i know how to do that. I've had success sharing a folder on my computer with another one of my lan, but only by opening it up to all systems on the lan.

My question is, how do i set permissions that are limited to a certain computer, or a certain user on a certain computer?

ex.1 I want to beable to give my sister her own private space which she can access from her user account on the family computer.

ex2. I want to beable to have my own shit private to only my computer and my future notebook.

Thanks for the assistance.

I dunno. I haven't set it up yet. I was thinking pro, but if server would be better i can use that. I have pro, but i wouldn't mind having to trade it for a less then legitimate version of server, if it'll make a diffrence.

It would be really easy to do with Server. I could tell you how to do it with 2003 right now, but I haven't had much experience with 2000.

*passes on to someone else*

does it involve domains and the sort? right now my network is just a workgroup. When i go into add user or whatever in permissions i try something like:

//TK421/Allison, but that doesn't work. and in the locations selection, i can only pick my computer (TACHYON)

Dephcon said:
does it involve domains and the sort? right now my network is just a workgroup. When i go into add user or whatever in permissions i try something like:

//TK421/Allison, but that doesn't work. and in the locations selection, i can only pick my computer (TACHYON)

Yes, it would involve a domain. It's not as hard as it sounds. I got a domain, users, and computers set up using SBS 2003 in about half an hour.

with NTFS and plain old 2000 pro you can setup individual user/permissions to every file and folder you got...no need to dick around domains or anything else

How? In winXP i'm having trouble giving exclusive access to my data disks on my computer to my account on the family computer. Its either all via NETWORK and EVERYONE or nothing. It wont check for/ conntect to user account outside of my own computer.

And if theres a giuld somewhere online, please point me to it. i've been googling for an hour and got nothing relative yet

Dephcon said:
How? In winXP i'm having trouble giving exclusive access to my data disks on my computer to my account on the family computer. Its either all via NETWORK and EVERYONE or nothing. It wont check for/ conntect to user account outside of my own computer

you using XP home or PRO?

Yeah.

I can do permissions for users on this computer, but i cant do permissions for specific users connecting from another computer on the lan

Dephcon said:
Yeah.

I can do permissions for users on this computer, but i cant do permissions for specific users connecting from another computer on the lan

well yeah, of course. You have to create a local user name password if you want your OS to recognize them as a legit user. if your at a lan, and want people on the lan to access your stuffs, create a user called LAN with a password, give it everyone, and when they try to map the drive, they can type in LAN and the password...no big deal

1. create user called LAN
2. set PW
3. goto shared folders/files
4. goto security tab
5. add permision for the user called LAN
6. tell everyone the LAN password
7. they do map network drive \\yourmachienname\yourshare name
8. they use LAN acct and PW
9. profit

that'd work, but for example right now, i dont want to have 3 accounts for my other family members on my computer. Is it possible to make stealth accounts that dont take up space by creating all the personal docs n' settings shit?

Dephcon said:
that'd work, but for example right now, i dont want to have 3 accounts for my other family members on my computer. Is it possible to make stealth accounts that dont take up space by creating all the personal docs n' settings shit?

just create a single account for them, its not like the empty documents and settings folders take up much space, and you can clean em up a little

Would it help to make sure that all the users are logging on the old school win2k way uinstead of the friendly XP way? Unless i conform all teh machines in my house via the "change the way the users log on" buttons and make it look like 2k, i'm confudido, as tehy say in Spain. Once there, i get rid of "everyone" and just put in the users that i'm interested in having connect to said folder into the list of people who can access the folder. In the workgroup setting it's important to have parity with the users on all teh computers that are being accesed by a particular person or persons. I mean if you sister is Sally, password sally on her machine, it helps for her to sally, password sall on hte server as well. Otherwise you run into authentication issues when you access a file or folder.

Back