Accelero XTREME GTX Pro

mike82y

Weaksauce
anyone tested it yet? i couldnt find any reviews ... someone please help

I haven't got one, but judging by the changes made to the new model, it would be about the same performance as the previous 'Accelero Xtreme GTX 280', if not slightly better. Reviews of the Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 could tell you what to expect.

Going by the info on the Arctic Cooling website, the basic cooling mechanism seems to be the same (the fans and fins and pipes), it's just been modified to fit a wider range of cards better ( the RAM sinks etc are differerent).

I've got a self-modified 'Accelero Xtreme GTX 280' on a GTX285 and it's been working fine for about nine months now, cooler and quieter than the default heat-sink. When they first came out, Arctic Cooling definitely stated the model I got was compatible with the GTX285 cards, but it wasn't really, not compared to what they've got now.

I just did a quick search and found fifteen stores that have them for sale over here in Aus and they've been avialable for a few weeks, selling for between $73-86 AUD. I've thought about getting one myself, just for the peace of mind of having something designed to fit properly instead of something made to fit (albeit successfully). But money's money and I can't be bothered uninstalling and installing the things (not that it's difficult), especially when the old version's working fine as is.

Les.

from what have read the vram are not well cooled Accelero Xtreme GTX 280.. I hope the new model will address this issue

what about the noise level comparing to stock fan @ 100% speed?

the problem I am having now is that I always have turn it up to max to play games .. otherwise my card gets too hot and freezes

I bought the card in Aug.. not sure if I should wait till the warranty is out

mike

The heatsinks that came with the old Accelero 280 didn't fit the vram properly and had to be made to fit. But once made to fit they did a good enough job. The new model does address this issue by using different shaped heatsinks, judging from the pictures I've seen on the Arctic Cooling website.

The Accelero Xtreme is much quieter than the stock fan and has a different sound quality even when you can hear it, there's really no comparison. With a standard Zotac GTX285 I too had to have the stock fan running between 60-100% to keep the temps from getting up near 100°C, and it was unbearably loud. With the Accelero Xtreme the fans don't have to get anywhere near 100%, while still cooling better than the stock fan at 100%. It's been a while since I was comparing temps and fan speeds etc. so I can't remember the exact numbers, but in my case, the difference in temps and sound levels was huge. (Right now, Rivatuner says - core temp 40°C, ambient temp 36°, fan speed 1405rpm, fan duty cycle 40%).

I got my Accelero within a couple of weeks of getting my card, just taking a gamble that it would work, because I found the stock fan's noise more unbearable than the thought that using one might void the warranty that I might need sometime. And I'm glad I did, because I know I would have spent months being annoyed by that stock fan noise otherwise. In fact, in the future, going by what I've read in reviews of other video cards, any new card I buy will probably be getting an after market heatsink as well.

Just offering my opinions here because I've found a lot of useful information on this website and don't often get a chance to contribute back, and I know from first hand experience that these Accelero Xtreme's work and it's not necessary to put up with the stock fans if you find them annoying.

I just bought one, haven't got around to installing it. You need the smallest screw driver ever to remove the screws off the videocard. After I hit up Home Depot or something I'll report back. My card currently idles around 45C.

Should I use the thermal tape that comes with it or use m Arctic Alumina Adhesive?

If you have no warranty, will void it simply by putting the cooler on there, or don't want to transfer the heatsink to another card in the future use the adhesive. If you have a manufacturer that will still honor warranty after mods (EVGA for me, woohoo!) or are planning on putting it on another card in the future then use the tape so you can get it off. With the thermal tape remember to use the eraser method to remove the oils and crap from the mem/vram/other chips otherwise the adhesive won't mate enough and they'll just fall off.

Where did you manage to find on in the US (assuming you're in the US)? I was impatient and ordered from Australia and it should be here next week hopefully, late Xmas present to myself, but I couldn't find it anywhere around here which sucked. I contacted AC Customer Service and they gave me 2 sites and said to check back on the 21st but I never did... Malabs or Ewiz I think were the sites.

Back