Accelero TWIN TURBO for my HD4870?

thanks, it seems that the heatsink is really good. does anybody have any personal experience with this? it would be nice to hear any personal experiences with this.

I'd be concerned about its ability to cool the VRMs ... it seems like every aftermarket HSF I researched that's compatible with the HD4870 has trouble effectively cooling HD4870's VRMs.

they are great, I've posted before on them. One thing though is I just run at stock clocks, and I kept the original backplate on, which makes the install even easier and is supposed to be more effective at cooling those ram chips. The stock coolers allow overclocking, but the noise & heat are a hassle. My cards don't like overclock with this setup, but its xfire so im no bothered

Very quiet, normally use 40% fixed and toggle profile to 100% for gaming

I'd be concerned about its ability to cool the VRMs ... it seems like every aftermarket HSF I researched that's compatible with the HD4870 has trouble effectively cooling HD4870's VRMs.

do you know any that have been known to effectively cool the VRAMs? and when u say it has trouble cooling it, do you mean it has trouble cooling it better than the stock cooling? like it would be worse than the stock cooling? because right now, my first objective is to get my computer quieter without raising my temps.

What HD4870 do you have? Links, pictures?

If it's a non-reference PCB design, with a non-reference cooler, then the AC Twin Turbo would be a good bet to lower your operating noise levels.

If it's a reference PCB design, with the reference blower cooler, then the AC Twin Turbo will be inefficient and ineffective at keeping the VRMs properly cooled...

yep, i followed vipers thread, its really easy to do

running here with stock clocks no issues

yep, i followed vipers thread, its really easy to do

running here with stock clocks no issues

Not exactly on-topic, but the blowhole fan in your rig, is it an intake or exhaust fan? About to mod my case and can't decide which way to go...

Nice job, Viper. Any chance you're looking to get rid of that Accelero S1? ;)

What HD4870 do you have? Links, pictures?

If it's a non-reference PCB design, with a non-reference cooler, then the AC Twin Turbo would be a good bet to lower your operating noise levels.

If it's a reference PCB design, with the reference blower cooler, then the AC Twin Turbo will be inefficient and ineffective at keeping the VRMs properly cooled...

well im not sure what you mean by reference cooler, but this is the video card that i have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102769

That's the reference PCB design, with the reference blower cooler.

You could give the AC Twin Turbo a shot, but you would have to use the stock red cooling plate as shown above in Digital Viper-X's link.

VRM temperatures will be extremely high without it, just using the AC Twin Turbo as supplied...

oh, thanks nafets. well i guess ill look into it. viper, how did you install that cooling plate? is that just a piece of the heatsink you took off, or did you have to cut it up? i didnt not open up my heatsink yet, so i havent had a chance to look at the inside.

oh, thanks nafets. well i guess ill look into it. viper, how did you install that cooling plate? is that just a piece of the heatsink you took off, or did you have to cut it up? i didnt not open up my heatsink yet, so i havent had a chance to look at the inside.

It's actually pretty easy ... once you unscrew the red heatsink and remove it from the card, you'll see the screws which attach the plastic shroud to the heatsink. From there, you can remove it and the fan.

ahh.. thanks JaYp146, it seems that i will be getting the twin turbo as soon as i can. thanks for all your help guys.

anybody have any idea where they would sell this for around $40 incl. shipping? the only place ive seen was ebay. i seems that all the other stores sell it for over $50.

ahh.. thanks JaYp146, it seems that i will be getting the twin turbo as soon as i can. thanks for all your help guys.

anybody have any idea where they would sell this for around $40 incl. shipping? the only place ive seen was ebay. i seems that all the other stores sell it for over $50.

ewiz has twin turbo for $29.40 plus ship

what he said!, it's very easy, and it covers all of your ram + your VRM, all you need to do is attach the main cooler to your gpu and you're set!

Better temps then VRM coolers IMO ^^

yes its great, but I cant overclock the same as with the stock cooler

it "may" be a function of the Xfire setup with lower card heating up the upper, so it could be improved but to be honest i'm perfectly happy with stock clocks.

I guess I could check by removing one card and trying max overclock but im too lazy lol

just follow vipers thread and your set

yes its great, but I cant overclock the same as with the stock cooler

it "may" be a function of the Xfire setup with lower card heating up the upper, so it could be improved but to be honest i'm perfectly happy with stock clocks.

I guess I could check by removing one card and trying max overclock but im too lazy lol

just follow vipers thread and your set

hmm I hit 800/1100 with that setup. stable in everything but crysis, that required 780 core, but i could do 1100 mem

are you Xfire?

if so it could be my between cards airflow as the install went well (at least...) with MX5 and I basically followed your instructions, even using those extra ram sinks for the uncovered chips on the right hand side, but 790/1000 and I crash 3dmark6 with 100% fans.

Stock coolers I could do 790/1100. I was thinking that as stock setup exhausted the heat it was doing a better job of thermally insulating the cards

Not a biggie for me as the cards push enough FPS with my resolution, and I'm not that big a gamer, but on a rainy day I can do a tear down, or try an improve air flow right there by adding a case fan. If its not the airflow and you have Xfire then its possible I farked the install somewhere along the line.

i never really considered OC my video card because it always seemed hot enough and gaming as always been good for me, with the exception of crysis and far cry2. do you guys just use CCC to OC your cards?

are you Xfire?

if so it could be my between cards airflow as the install went well (at least...) with MX5 and I basically followed your instructions, even using those extra ram sinks for the uncovered chips on the right hand side, but 790/1000 and I crash 3dmark6 with 100% fans.

Stock coolers I could do 790/1100. I was thinking that as stock setup exhausted the heat it was doing a better job of thermally insulating the cards

Not a biggie for me as the cards push enough FPS with my resolution, and I'm not that big a gamer, but on a rainy day I can do a tear down, or try an improve air flow right there by adding a case fan. If its not the airflow and you have Xfire then its possible I farked the install somewhere along the line.

No it was a single card, I have an antec 1200 too so airflow was no problem

Back