Accelero S1 Rev.2 & HD69*0

tikiman2012

[H]ard|Gawd
So, has anybody put one on a 6970 or 6950?

I'm thinking about swapping it from my 4850 when my 6950 gets here.

It should fit just fine, I think I'll leave the stock baseplate on for the memory and VRM's. Should be interesting.

From all the pictures I've seen, it looked like the S1 does not have very much surface area thickness-wise. Could there be any possibility of saturating its heat dissipation?

One other question, how do you guys know that the S1 will be compatible with the 6900 series? On Newegg, the compatibility listing goes up to the 3870(and 4870 by extension of that).

FWIW, my Rev 1 S1 works great on my MSI 6850.
I added tape on sinks for the ram and vrms.

3870 uses the same heatsink pattern as 4870. 4870 uses same as 5870 I assume, as people have installed them on there. I'm guessing that the 6970, and 6950, will continue to use this spec. I don't have a card in front of me to measure yet, but will in the next few days.

It'll need active airflow under load, no doubt about it. Plan ahead and I think it'll work okay, the only thing is the stacked DVI connectors got in the way on some 5800 installs, but some tin snips and a bit of creative bending seems to fix that.

So I just bought one of these from Microcenter for $30 with 2 120mm fans that spin at 950rpms. So far I am quite impressed. It's almost 10 degrees cooler at idle. Haven't had any time to stress it yet.

Oh terribly sorry, it is a Sapphire 6950 that's been flashed to a 6970 running at 900/1400. After a few runs of 3dmark 11 the temps hovered around 79-81c depending on room temp. Now it's 52c after a few runs. Plus it is whisper quiet all the time. I am loving this setup. Didn't cost me much and got a lot of performance for it.

P.S. The only issue with install was one of the heatsinks for the memory blocked one of the heatpipes. So I had to bend the fins of the heatsink to fit.

These work!! that's great I have one of these cooler on an old 3870x2. The only thing is that I don't have the ramsinks anymore, I would guess that they are much needed for the 6950.

Had you much trouble installing it calm? Did you use the stock plate?

A cooler for an X2 won't work on a single chip card.

The memory heatsink blocking the heatpipe still, just like my 4850. I'm gonna see how mine runs with the stock heatsink plates and the accelero. If I don't have to, I'm not gonna waste money on new thermal tape.

This kinda thing worked with the other X2's.
(The coolers are HR-03's).

If the Accereo's can be top OR bottom mounted, you might think about trying it.

clipboard01oj4gj2.jpg

attachment.php

It actually mounts on the bottom side of the card opposite of the picture you posted. I only had trouble with one of the ramsinks. Wasn't hard to modify it. I didn't reuse the stock plate as I didn't see a need for it. It also doesn't mount up without the stock cooler attached.

Well, XFX put little stickers over 2 of the tiny heatsink screws. I guess they screwed me. No Accelero for my card, not gonna mess up the warranty. I'm surprised though, this thing idles at 37c. haven't crank it up yet though. Still waiting on a replacement power supply from Corsair.

Well, XFX put little stickers over 2 of the tiny heatsink screws. I guess they screwed me. No Accelero for my card, not gonna mess up the warranty. I'm surprised though, this thing idles at 37c. haven't crank it up yet though. Still waiting on a replacement power supply from Corsair.
If you're North American, you can remove the heatsink.

Yeah all the cards are made (and stickered) in one place, and some countries don't have the "it's okay to remove the heatsink" policy. North American XFX cards allow it though. Just make sure to save all the original heatsink hardware, if you need to RMA it at any time it has to be "as delivered" to you with the factory heatsink installed when you send it in.

If you're North American, you can remove the heatsink.

A 'North American' living in Europe will void the warranty by removing the heatsink. A German living in North America will not. ;)

If I were to go to Fry's or Microcenter today, what should I be looking for in terms of compatibility with the XFX 6950? I am sure they won't have any coolers that specifically say compatible with 69xx.

Well, I removed the heatsink. I don't believe the accelero will fit with the stock baseplates so I'm not gonna use it since I don't have vrm or memory sinks. The card is flimsy, thinner pcb than my 4850, kinda disappointing. Probably part of the reason they have backplates.

Now the interesting part. All but 4 of the 10 screws on the backplate were loose. Heatsink was tight, but that's about it. Very disturbing. The tim was horrid. Crusty and thick. Too thick. Replaced with Ceramique. Got about a 5c drop immediately. Also, the heatsink was filthy. You could see where someone had at one time laid a piece of vram tape across it, and the oil from the tape was still on part of the heatsink.

The good part, the stock fan idles between 1100 and 1200 rpm now at 38c.
Gpuz reports temp1 at 38c. Temp 2 at 34.5c and temp 3 at 35c. All in all its not to bad. Load was 50c with Asus smartdoctor smart cooling enabled. It was a little loud, probably back that off and never have it go above 65c.

Well, I removed the heatsink. I don't believe the accelero will fit with the stock baseplates so I'm not gonna use it since I don't have vrm or memory sinks. The card is flimsy, thinner pcb than my 4850, kinda disappointing. Probably part of the reason they have backplates.

Now the interesting part. All but 4 of the 10 screws on the backplate were loose. Heatsink was tight, but that's about it. Very disturbing. The tim was horrid. Crusty and thick. Too thick. Replaced with Ceramique. Got about a 5c drop immediately. Also, the heatsink was filthy. You could see where someone had at one time laid a piece of vram tape across it, and the oil from the tape was still on part of the heatsink.

The good part, the stock fan idles between 1100 and 1200 rpm now at 38c.
Gpuz reports temp1 at 38c. Temp 2 at 34.5c and temp 3 at 35c. All in all its not to bad. Load was 50c with Asus smartdoctor smart cooling enabled. It was a little loud, probably back that off and never have it go above 65c.

Good info thanks.
Maybe I will just do that then. What brand is your 6950?

XFX. I'm gonna put the accelero back on my 4850 and give it to my brother in law for crossfire.

What we really want to know is how the hell you got the accelero off of your 4850... that locking design is horrible.

I just got a Gigabyte, dual-fan 6850. It's reasonably quiet, but I was able to have my 4850 cooled passively with the accelero as I have decent case airflow.

Old thread is reasonably old :D

Also, +1 for Gigabyte dual-fan cards being good.
+ another for the Accelero S1 being a pile of useless. Dangerous useless.

Oh terribly sorry, it is a Sapphire 6950 that's been flashed to a 6970 running at 900/1400. After a few runs of 3dmark 11 the temps hovered around 79-81c depending on room temp. Now it's 52c after a few runs. Plus it is whisper quiet all the time. I am loving this setup. Didn't cost me much and got a lot of performance for it.

P.S. The only issue with install was one of the heatsinks for the memory blocked one of the heatpipes. So I had to bend the fins of the heatsink to fit.

Some of guys in this thread say that the s1 R2 is too weak for 6970?

I'm running 5850 with AC S1 R2, I'm considering buying a 6970 reference design and install the AC S1 R2 on it, is it a bad idea?

I have HAF 932 so the case has good airflow, the VRM temps on the 5850 are good.

crap nvm.. fail post by me, didn't notice how old the thread was..

should work fine based on calmnothing's post..

Back