Accelero S1 + 8800GT

bexamous

[H]ard|Gawd
This is the greatest cooler but the ramsinks are total sh*t. Literally they will not work, they don't stick. I'd heard other people say they were bad but they're worthless. When I took off the stock cooler the stock thermal pad crap leaves some oily like residue... I thought people must have been trying to stick the ramsinks onto the oily surface. I cleaned the ram off perfectly, stuck on 8 ramsinks... while putting the cooler on the gpu 2 of the 6 fall off.

Really what is everyone doing to cool the ram? I can't think of any way of getting them to stick on for good.

i have an accelero s1 installed with a 120mm fan attached. also have a 120mm fan blowing on the card from my hard drive cage. no ram sinks installed on the card. card is clocked to 750 core, 1800 shader, 1950 mem. stable

i have an accelero s1 installed with a 120mm fan attached. also have a 120mm fan blowing on the card from my hard drive cage. no ram sinks installed on the card. card is clocked to 750 core, 1800 shader, 1950 mem. stable

Your crazy!

I got my heatsinks to stay on by applying a small amount of AS5 to them.

I've simply used AS Ceramique to stick heatsinks to ram in the past. put a thin coat on the ram chip, and after a couple heat cycles it sets in pretty good. I had a 9600xt and an x1800xtpe like that. Both still had the ramsinks on even after multiple moves, lan parties, and general everyday use.

If there's any doubt, just put a small dot of superglue on one of the corners. That will hold it on good enough, it will get the benefit of the AS and heatsink, and is easily removed later on.

Can you run the Accelero S1 with an SLI rig?? Looks like they may fit but will not be able to attach any fans it.

Not meaning to hijack...but what exactly is the border of overheating for the 8800GT? I saw mine hit 80c once and that happened only because the settings for the fan control got reset to default...usually it never gets over 70c.

Mine hit 96C so I modded the heatsink and got it down to 82C.
Now I have an Accelero S1 with max load temp of 46C :)
While it can run at such high temps, its not known how much shorter the cards life will become from doing so.
Its possible that the core will outlast other components but I decided not to take the risk.

I ordered an XFX 8800gt, and was wondering if XFX warranty is void if one were to swap stock coolers?

Their forum techs say yes and they also state that overclocking is covered.
However the official Warranty doesnt make mention of either so if they dont like you they can refuse warranty on those grounds.

This is the greatest cooler but the ramsinks are total sh*t. Literally they will not work, they don't stick. I'd heard other people say they were bad but they're worthless. When I took off the stock cooler the stock thermal pad crap leaves some oily like residue... I thought people must have been trying to stick the ramsinks onto the oily surface. I cleaned the ram off perfectly, stuck on 8 ramsinks... while putting the cooler on the gpu 2 of the 6 fall off.

Really what is everyone doing to cool the ram? I can't think of any way of getting them to stick on for good.

So it's only the the ramsinks that come with the S1's that have this trouble? How about other ramsinks, like zalmans, swiftechs, enzotech, etc...
Even if you buy additional ramsinks it still comes out cheaper than the Thermalright coolers.

No, it cannot. It can only be installed one way. Together with a 120mm fan it takes 3 slots. Regarding the pre-applied thermal adhesive - I didn't even try to work with it. I've cleaned the ramsinks with an adhesive remover and used akasa thermal adhesive - it's very easy to work with, holds sinks firmly in place and is removable (unlike AS5+superglue combination some people use). But the thing that'll make you smile are the results, 8800GT + Accelero S1 is one hell of a combination:)

Yes, though you need a special, flexible SLI bridge.

Um I Currently see that picture of the two 8800gt's in sli using the S1s. If you examine carefully, It only has 2 slots between the first card and the second card. With my P5N32-E SLI motherboard, iKnow that the first card will be 3 slots away from the second card. Will the Sli 12cm Sli bridge still be long enough? The p5n32-E Sli motherboard came with a 12cm sli bridge btw. Thanks for your help.

This is my motherboard

13-131-073-04.jpg

^^ so a thermal adhesive wouldnt be a good idea unless one were completely sure their card wasnt going to need rma? My concern is because i ordered an S1 accelero and evidently the ramsinks dont have a very good installment method...A dab of superglue in the corner of a ramsink would be permanent?

A dab of superglue in the corner of a ramsink would be permanent?

Naw, superglue is nice and fragile. Having a dab of it on a corner would be really easy to pop free... the paste itself is going to do the work of keeping the sink stuck to the chip as it'll work really well against forces normal to the chip. Won't do much to prevent your sink from sliding and working free that way though... so... a touch of superglue to keep it from slowly sliding it's way free from the paste.

Using thermal epoxy to adhere the entire sink with though... now that's permanent! :D

I recall having the same problem when installing the RAMsinks that came with my Zalman VF900. A couple kept falling off even after letting them sit on the memory right side up over night.

I found that heat helped adhere them to the memory. I actually had my case open, card running hot and put one back on that kept falling off and it stuck for good.

Don't know how well this method will work when I receive my S1 and evga 8800 GT this week!!! :D

^^ so a thermal adhesive wouldnt be a good idea unless one were completely sure their card wasnt going to need rma? My concern is because i ordered an S1 accelero and evidently the ramsinks dont have a very good installment method...A dab of superglue in the corner of a ramsink would be permanent?
Akasa thermal adhesive tape, AK-TT12-80, would sort you out. Holds like hell and is removable in case you need it. And it costs peanuts... I used it on all heatsinks.

Akasa thermal adhesive tape, AK-TT12-80, would sort you out. Holds like hell and is removable in case you need it. And it costs peanuts... I used it on all heatsinks.

I ordered the 80mm x 80mm from Ebay for £4.22 delivered :)
Buying it from a normal shop costs way more. The postage alone costs almost the same as the whole deal from Ebay !!!

I ordered the 80mm x 80mm from Ebay for £4.22 delivered :)
Buying it from a normal shop costs way more. The postage alone costs almost the same as the whole deal from Ebay !!!

That's a very good deal if you buy it on its own. I was just buying the Accelero S1 and some Zalman heatsinks and I spotted it for some £2.50 so it went straight to the basket:) Then when I worked with it I realized how well spent £2.50 it was:) That's exactly what the pre-apllied one should have been. And considering that one 80x80 is enough for maybe 70 heatsinks...

Just installed the s1 on my 8800gt, added a 80mm and 100mm fan on it. Cant believe the temps at load are cooler then the temps at idle with the stock cooler.
Think i'll be picking up some of that akasa thermal tape to attache the memory sinks, i tried a no name one and the frag tape and they're both useless.

s12qo6.jpg

Back