Academic Version of Vista 32 to 64?

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
I have the Academic Version of Windows Vista Ultimate 32 & I'm wondering if this can be upgraded to the 64 bit version. I searched for a 1/2 hr on Microsofts web page on how to upgrade the 32 bit version to 64 & could not find anything. Can You up-grade this version to 64 bit? The disk is part # 66R-00712. I searched for this thread earlier but could not find an answer.

if you had a 64bit disk, your same key would probably work ..\

[F]old|[H]ard

I don't know how your academic license works, but for me I actually get a key. And any key will work for both 32-bit and 64-bit installations. So all you would need to do is get your hands on a 64-bit media.

I bought an academic version and already had the 64 bit disc. There is no difference between the standard upgrade and the academic version except for the little red band around the top of the box that says Academic Version. I ran the 64 bit DVD and plugged in the key from the academic version with no problems, activated just fine.

Thanks to all that have replied. How do I get the 64 bit disk? Do I go back to Microsoft & request it? & if so where on their web-site do you request the 64 bit upgrade. I spent 1/2 hr on their web-site & never did find it.

You can. I just purchased Vista Business x86 through an academic site (JourneyED.com) cause of the discount my university gives us. I had no problem upgrading to x64 through Microsoft's website with the CD Key. Came out to ~ $10.75

l3ender... I clicked on the link entered my product key & received this message.
We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
No Offer Found

Now I haven't installed the 32bit version that I have yet (still on XP) so the key has not been validated. Is that the reason I'm not qualified for the update.

no i had the same problem when I was trying to get a x64 dvd for my full retail business version (installed and used key once already). Got the same error. Since the cdkey works for both 32 and 64 bit version i just borrowed my friend's dvd to install x64 version then used my own key. If you have a friend with a retail ultimate you could use that since it includes every version of vista, the one you install depends on the key you have. If not you could try some places on the net to DL it, since you have your own key it wouldnt really be pirating.

Honestly i think its a stupid idea to charge for the x64 version and even more stupid that their site to get the x64 version doesnt even work. I needed vista x64 for work but most importantly i needed my computer up and running asap. Installed x86 to get it up and running and went to try and order the x64 version and the site doesnt work. Great

Back