AC router recommendation

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Nirad9er, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Nirad9er

Nirad9er 2[H]4U

I have an AC1900 router and was considering an upgrade to an AC3200 for future proof and improved range, signal, and features.

What's the best router around the $200-$250 price point?

Netgear Nighthawk X6, Asus AC3100, Linksys WRT32x, D-link DIR-890L or other?

Or should I keep my current Nighthawk R6900v2 AC1900?

Thanks

2. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

Keep what you've got. I doubt you'd see any improvements by 'upgrading' to any of those routers. If you've got $200-250 to spend, I'd suggest moving towards a dedicated AP platform like Ubiquiti UniFi and convert your existing router into just a standalone router (turn off the wireless) and have the new AP handle the wireless. A dedicated AP like that will eclipse the performance and reliability of any of those overpriced home WiFi routers.

ZeqOBpf6 and BSmith like this.
  3. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

I also recommend moving to separate firewall, switch, and access point if you're able to with the ISP's in your area. I don't have any faith in the consumer-grade hardware anymore. I would especially avoid any Netgear firewall/routers since they have a long history of having security holes and vulnerabilities, VPNFilter being only the most recent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPNFilter

I'm a big fan of pfSense, I'm running it on a PCEngines APU2 but just about any PC will do.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    rtangwai, dgingeri and Cmustang87 like this.
  4. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

I use a pfsense VM for my router with separate DNS/DHCP server and Ubiquiti wireless AP. I like the Ubuquiti AP because it doesn't have the biggest security vulnerability of all: WPS. I HIGHLY recommend everyone avoid products with WPS. In most cases, the announcement for WPS can be turned off, but it still allows the connection, and can still be easily hacked. Even going with a Cisco RV320 for the router/DHCP/DNS and a separate wireless AP is better than any all in one wireless router unit, and will probably cost less in the long run because the wireless AP can be upgraded while leaving the router in place.

5. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Limp Gawd

You want to buy something today to replace a perfectly good item and your primary reason is the future? Wait until an actual need happens? Despite new standards coming out every week not much has changed, and you have a really high end router.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  6. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 [H]Lite

I have the ubiquiti AP, switch, and gateway, the switch is a switch ~ the management and web interface is nice for monitoring nothing super special.
    I love the AP extremely good speed, range, and handles 70+ devices like a champ (alot of home automation stuff) ~ I upgraded from an Asus RT-AC87U that was having trouble.
    The gateway however I'm a little meh on, it gets better with every release, but there are a lot of core features it should have started with that are being added on as it's developed.
    Example: No DNS alias capability when using it as the DHCP/DNS server.
    I have confidence it'll get it eventually but frustrating such a basic feature wasn't there from the start.