Abysmal Eyefinity performance in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Finkus

Gawd
Well the UI is centralised and the loading/menu screens all work perfectly but the in-game performance makes it a no go with the current client. It's very similar performance to Dirt2.

5970 running at stock speeds.

1920x1080 with everything on max, 8XAA, 16xAF = silky smooth, clearly running at 60fps with vsync, flawlessley. It looks beautiful. The lighting is very much like Dirt2. Does it use full floating point HDR?

5760x1080 on lowest settings = jerky mess.

4800x900 on lowest settings = approaching 60fps it feels like. Very nice but looks like ass.

I could not find a happy medium. The only playable Eyefinity resolution was 4800x900 with the lowest in game settings and it looked awful. There was no lower resolution Eyefinity option.

I've taken to playing Dirt2 at 2400x600 (not the correct aspect ratio but there is no other option) because it means I can run Ultra settings with 8xAA and all the full DX11 bells and whistles in Eyefinity and still get 60fps. This wasn't an option for BF2.

I hope they can sort this out, or at least have ATI offer lower, aspect-ratio-correct resolutions for Eyefinity because even the fastest GPU on the planet right now isn't enough to run Dirt2 or BFBC2 in Eyefinity at native resolutions with the DX11 features on.

Sounds like something is very wrong with your system. I ran dirt2 at 5760x1200 with high settings at 2xAA getting no less that 30fps on my 5850.

Sounds like something is very wrong with your system. I ran dirt2 at 5760x1200 with high settings at 2xAA getting no less that 30fps on my 5850.

There's a big performance difference between the high and ultra settings on Dirt2. Also 30-40 fps average in that Battersea timedemo doesn't correlate well to game performance. If you get 30fps in the timedemo and then try and do a Malaysia rally, you'll be all over the place, trying to steer.

ever think that the game requires hardware beyond what is currently available for eyefinity?

ever think that the game requires hardware beyond what is currently available for eyefinity?

With a 5970, one would hope that he would get half decent frames at medium settings at the resolution.

But perhaps the game is fairly demanding.

It's a beta. Forward the information to them and they'll look at it, maybe even actually respond - it's not a TWIMTBShovedDownYourThroat game after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRPfeDyFKU here is a video I took today of my Eyefinity setup running BFBC2 @ 5760 X 1080 with AA at 4X and everything else on High. Im getting between 40 and 50 fps with a 5870 stock and a core i7 at 3.8.

I haven't gone to an eyefinity setup yet but that video might have just changed my mind. Also, jesus christ get rid of some of the lights in your case... I'd be afraid a 747 would land on my house at any moment.

somebody in another thread said that this beta is an older stable build and a newer build had cpu and gpu fixes.

Yeah I must have a problem, I am getting similar results to OP, to get decent framerates I basically had to turn everything to low. Not sure wtf the deal is, the game doesn't even look that impressive.

Looking like it's the 10.1 drivers in installed yesterday. I ran the Dirt2 benchmark and was getting half the frames I normally get.

Tried and driver cleaner fresh install of the 10.1 but that didn't help. Then driver cleaner fresh install of 9.12's and framerates shot up.

Haven't tried BFBC2 yet as the servers seem to be screwed and I can't get in a game.

EDIT: Playable at 5760x1080 on high with 2xAA, 8xAF. Not great framerates but playable.

EDIT2: After a few hours playing and tinkering with settings. 5760x1080 with 2xAA, 8xAF and medium settings seemed to give decent performance/visuals.

Last edited:
Back