Absurd: Anand overclocks conroe to 4+ GHZ easily on air

Personally, I'm one of the few (seems like a few anyway) people that upgrade once every 2-3 years rather than 2-3 months. Mind you there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I would do the same thing if I had the money. ;)

But regardless, my 2600XP and 9800Pro are starting to show their age and I've been saving for 2 years for a major upgrade. I'll be going with an E6600 Conroe and 2gb of Ram for sure, but the mobo and video card(s) are undecided as I'll be waiting till late Sept / October at the earliest to upgrade completely. I'm waiting to see what new mobos are released and hopefully by then there will be some new light on DX10 cards and their benefits.

I've never overclocked anything before. So my Conroe build will be my first OCing experience. I'll be extremely happy if I can get 3.2ish Ghz on good air cooling. Now I just have to learn how to do it. :confused:

RooK said:
And since no one has made any good games besides battlefield 2, I see no real reason to upgrade yet. Give me a game that I need to have a rig that fast to play that has some real replay value and i'd think about starting to save up.
CS:S. It's severly CPU limited.

drizzt81 said:

are you kidding me? People still consider counter strike a 'good' game??? I mean, yah, its been out since 98, but come now, surely theres better.... I guess I'm just one of those people who remember having three guns and walking in the sky on that one cs_desert

RooK said:
are you kidding me? People still consider counter strike a 'good' game??? I mean, yah, its been out since 98, but come now, surely theres better.... I guess I'm just one of those people who remember having three guns and walking in the sky on that one cs_desert

He might be talking about the new one?

RooK said:

Pretty sure more people are playing CS than BF2. Not everyone likes to wait a half hour from double clicking the icon to actually being in the game.

considering these chips are "brand new", they're not even released yet, its a new CPU architecture, on a somewhat new process(65nm) those results are phenomenal.

Even if this is a cherry picked CPU that hits 4Ghz, its VERY promising for the whole line of Core 2. In the past there usually hasn't been that much headroom. This time it looks like there is a TON of headroom with the Core 2's. I'm thinking the low end 2Mb cache chips will be the new Celeron366 / 1.6a / 2.4C / etc. It might be the new king of overclocking chips. Cheap price, higher multiplier + tons of headroom = maybe 100% overclocks!

wickedld9 said:
Unfortunately, 4GHz on air is going to be benchmark only. 3.8GHz, 24/7 stable will be the max on air for a while. This came directly from the WR holder.

But even overclocking a 2.4GHz C2D to 2.8GHz lays down the smack on anything AMD has:) That's even if you overclock the FX-62 as well.

drizzt81 said:

Pretty much my experience. No matter what settings I use with my 6600GT I can't get it to get above 45 fps. It is pretty stable around 30 though, no complaints. I've had a very good experience with my 2.4C (I bought it because [H] recommended it), but it's beginning to show its age.

deathBOB said:
Pretty much my experience. No matter what settings I use with my 6600GT I can't get it to get above 45 fps. It is pretty stable around 30 though, no complaints. I've had a very good experience with my 2.4C (I bought it because [H] recommended it), but it's beginning to show its age.

IS your 2.4C OC'd ? B/c my 2.4C still kicks ass: http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/overclock/mirage.html
and thats with it "only" at 3.2Ghz b/c I like it to run quiet in the little shuttle.

When I had it in my main rig, I used to run it at 3.6Ghz:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8696801

Back