Absolute Max safe Temp/Voltage for E8400?

AMDisSWEET

Limp Gawd
I have gotten my E8400 @ 3.6 with the stock cooler/tim up to 72c @ 1.2v running LinX (same as Intel Burn Test I think.) When I first OC'd it I had the vcore on 'auto' like the dummy I am and CPU-Z showed 1.36v.

I now run @ 1.15 and that's what I should have done from the start.

I haven't shortened the life of my brand new cpu, have I?

TIA

Get rid of the stock cooler now. Right now. Shell out 30 bucks and get something decent like an AC7 Pro. I also run a e8400 @ 3.6ghz with about the same voltage and my *max* load temp is 49c even with Intel Burn Test.

I may get a Xigmatek S1283 or OCZ Vendetta 2 but would prefer not to if everything will be fine without doing so. I'm not looking to OC any higher than 3.6.

I have never had an error while running P95 or LinX. Never a lockup or reboot.

Idle is 36c and full load is less than 60c in P95 @ 3.6 1.15v.

So I understand that Intel states max temp is 72c or so and that doesn't refer to the core temps. Also, with OCing most like to stay below 65c or 75c.

So what I would appreciate having validated is that I haven't shortened the life of the cpu with my brief previous endeavors with the higher volts/temps.

No you have not to any appreciable amount shorted the life of your CPU, Intel.com has the data sheet for your CPU and in there you will find under the Electrical Characteristics section the Absolute Max Vcc value which you never even came close to.

Thanks BillParrish, I took a look at the data sheet just now. Should have thought of that earlier.

With 45nm CPUs, it's generally safe to stay under 1.4v. Since you didn't even come all that close to that value, you're completely fine. As for the temperature, Tjmax for that CPU is 100C, and that's merely the temperature that triggers the signal to turn up the CPU fan to 100%. Your CPU will shut down before reaching a temperature that could damage it, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about in that regard.

Thanks Zero, I feel at ease now. Now I'll stop fussing and go play STALKER, one of the reasons for my new build.

I may end up getting a better cooler but I really don't want to have to remove the MB to install it. Are you using the the retention kit with the backplate with your Xigmatek?

so you worry if a volt level that wasnt even that high might have comprimsed your computer in some way,,,, yet wont take the few mins it takes to put in a decent cooler with a backing plate for secure contact... I dont get it but to each their own... For me i would NEVER trust or rely on those push pins.. pick up a thermalrite120 or a zalman 9700 -- yank that board out of there-- and do it right-- then never have to worry about it.. Hell, id even take the time to lap the cpu and cooler to make sure contact is good-- but again-- that is just me..

so you worry if a volt level that wasnt even that high might have comprimsed your computer in some way,,,, yet wont take the few mins it takes to put in a decent cooler with a backing plate for secure contact... I dont get it but to each their own...

I'm a very complex individual. Heh, I hear you though. I guess it's a combo of cheapness / laziness. I'm considering getting a Xigamtek S1283, AC Freezer 7 Pro, or the OCZ Vendetta 2. I'll give it some thought.

Back