Absolute BEST (PCI) Video Card.

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Everyone loves a story with a post =).

The last time I used PCI video cards, it was for dual Voodoo II's in my slot 1 Pent II system =D. Those were the good days. I never thought the day would come that I would be hunting down one once again. Luckily it is not for me, but for my Girlfriend atm. More of a hold over purchase until I get into building her a new system. Since my funds are strictly going towards my newer build atm. She never really needed a Video Card as she is not a gamer at all. Neopets & typical popular flash games were her thing & held her over UNTIL one of her friends introduced her to Second Life. (Wants to strangle the person). To shorten the Sorry, I laughed at her 10 FPS performance with every single setting at it's lowest. She has an older compaq system & I put a good $140 in beefing up the PSU & Upping the memory to 1 gig. Could of just got her a Cheap AMD 64 rig & called it the day but she wanted the upgrades instead. So that leaves the Video Card since she has an PCI Slot Open. My research have found two (Just about OK) PCi Cards. Both by ATI

The X1300 & the X1550. The X1550 has the better specs of the town & the higher clocks but in the PCi World, even with a noticeable difference in the speeds, probably wont mean very much in the long run. I am leaning towards the X1550 as of now....

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Stealth-X1550PRO-Video-Card/dp/B000N9B8D6/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-9795874-5217440?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1177007964&sr=8-2

Just wanted to know if there was anything better at all. Her LCD has a native res of 1280 x 1024 17". Takes for all the replies =).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
We did an evaluation of a PCI X1300. And here it is.

I don't really think a higher speed GPU would be any better, as an X1300 on a PCIe x16 bus outperforms the X1300 on PCI.

I can't say as I would actually recommend that video card, but it's the best option in PCI. The X1550 might be a better GPU, but the bus it is on is crap, so its performance is going to be crap.

Back