Absolute best display for lawyer (price irrelevant)

A lot of options that can drive you to confusion with displays.

I would get more than one monitor sine I really hate unused space and not full screen windows so a huge screen is a no go for me. One 32" 4K (Dell or any other pro monitor that can be calibrated) and two 24" on the sides in portrait mode is what I would be going for with a nice multimonitor arm for cleanness.

As a lawyer myself and even tough I also have other monitors for PC gaming exclusively and even the unique Dell 30" OLED monitor, I've been lately working from my Acer Gaming Monitor 37.5" Ultra Wide Curved XR382CQK bmijqphuzx 3840 x 1600 and it is by far the best monitor for working I've had the chance to try.

43" 4k tv for $250 or less.

I will never go back to 1080p
I view websites in portrait mode, and it's so comfortable.

Dell UP3218K is easily the best option, but you need 2 DisplayPort 1.3 outputs to drive it. 280 ppi and a bonded cover glass with anti-reflective coating will make text look way crisper than on monitors with paltry pixel density or a clarity ruining matte surface.

Just to chime in here I agree with the Dell UP3218K as the best choice. Could even run it at 200% scaling and still have the real estate of 4K with superb text clarity.

If you aren't doing any gaming at all and budget isn't a concern, I think it is easily the best choice, especially for text heavy tasks.

Just to chime in here I agree with the Dell UP3218K as the best choice. Could even run it at 200% scaling and still have the real estate of 4K with superb text clarity.

If you aren't doing any gaming at all and budget isn't a concern, I think it is easily the best choice, especially for text heavy tasks.

My reservation with that monitor is that I would need to run it from my Lenovo X1 Yoga G3, which has an Intel UDH graphics 620. I suspect that card would not support the resolution of the UP3218K?

My reservation with that monitor is that I would need to run it from my Lenovo X1 Yoga G3, which has an Intel UDH graphics 620. I suspect that card would not support the resolution of the UP3218K?

You could get an external GPU enclosure to drive it. Basically, one of your USB-C ports would be your display output, as you just plug it in whenever you want to use the monitor.

I'm not sure what the best eGPU enclosure is right now (hoping someone else will chime in). In the manual, Dell recommends a GTX 1070, RX480 or higher to drive it. Theoretically a 1060 should work, since it has the same outputs (maybe it wasn't available when Dell wrote the manual?), but YMMV.

Also, if you do end up getting the UP3218K with a GPU, you should use Firefox Nightly as a browser. The lastest builds are fully GPU accelerated, and it seems to really help with smoothness on high res displays.

Last edited:
You should absolutely purchase an ultrawide; 21:9 aspect ratio. a 34 or 38" ultrawide at 3440x1440 or 3840x1600

If the pure fidelity of text is critical you should look into the new LG 34wk95u which is an 34" 21:9 ultrawide with near retina PPI.

Having an ultrawide allows you to edit several documents vertically at once without having to switch planes or windows. If you want to go extreme, you can go even wider and get a 32:9 monitor.

Literally do not listen to anyone telling you to buy a 16:9 monitor or soemthing ridiculous like buy 3x 27" 1440p. They do not understand your productivity and multitasking needs.

You could get an external GPU enclosure to drive it. Basically, one of your USB-C ports would be your display output, as you just plug it in whenever you want to use the monitor.

I'm not sure what the best eGPU enclosure is right now (hoping someone else will chime in). In the manual, Dell recommends a GTX 1070, RX480 or higher to drive it. Theoretically a 1060 should work, since it has the same outputs (maybe it wasn't available when Dell wrote the manual?), but YMMV.

Also, if you do end up getting the UP3218K with a GPU, you should use Firefox Nightly as a browser. The latest builds are fully GPU accelerated, and it seems to really help with smoothness on high res displays.

I think we're jumping the shark here a little. Buying an eGPU just to drive a monitor... for PDFs and spreadsheets... is a little ridiculous.

I gave my thoughts about the Dell P4317Q on page 1, but can I ask you some questions?

What is the set up of your office? How big is your desk? Do you have it placed against a wall? Do you currently use an external monitor from your laptop (for you? or for them?), and do your clients sit across the desk from you, or are you side-by-side?

The answers to these questions will largely determine what kind of monitor (and how many) would be appropriate for you.

For example, if you have a typical 30" deep by 60"+ long executive style desk, and your clients sit across the desk from you, I would recommend (2) wide screen monitors, either 21:9 or 32:9, one placed in front of you, and one facing the opposite direction toward them. You would then just mirror your screen onto theirs, so they can see the documents you're reviewing without you having to swivel your monitor for them to see.

If you have a smaller desk, or if it's against a wall, and your clients join you side-by-side to review the same screen, then I'd go with (1) large 4K monitor.

I think we're jumping the shark here a little. Buying an eGPU just to drive a monitor... for PDFs and spreadsheets... is a little ridiculous.

Yeah. I was running under the "price is no object" assumption, but it is getting a little pricey once you factor in the eGPU. However, that judgement is up to the buyer, not us.

Also, keep in mind that without an eGPU, we're working with a single HDMI port. I'm not even sure if it's 2.0, now that I think about it, which would be a problem on 4k displays, much less with multiple monitors...

Yeah. I was running under the "price is no object" assumption, but it is getting a little pricey once you factor in the eGPU. However, that judgement is up to the buyer, not us.

Also, keep in mind that without an eGPU, we're working with a single HDMI port. I'm not even sure if it's 2.0, now that I think about it, which would be a problem on 4k displays, much less with multiple monitors...

If it's the model I'm looking at, that X1 Yoga has two USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C ports, both with Thunderbolt (which is pretty nice). That means DisplayPort can be used via USB-C alt mode. I think that would be the ticket, right there. All the OP would need to do is get a monitor with USB-C. If the OP gets two monitors, just daisy chain the two with a normal DP cable.

Back