About to try a nice mobile setup

boshi

Limp Gawd
I'm currently running an NF7-S 2.0 and an 1800+, with a zalman CNPS-6000-Cu, but it will only do 2.1GHz ( 210x10 ) @ 1.9v.

The new setup I'm thinking of is:

thermalright SP-97 heatsink
two or three 80w peltiers in a series
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+
big electric car fan + home made shroud/funnel type of thing to focus all of the air coming from the fan into the SP-97. ( I'd make it out of fiberglass or something, then mount the fan to the door of the case to support it.

I was imagining this fan:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1074&prmenbr=361

what do you guys think? I should have the money and time to do this next weekend.

Oh, yeah and watercooling is out of the question, sorry. I just cant.

two or three 80w peltiers in a series

You need more research on how peltiers work...

Short summary of your proposed setup.

ie...first peltier needs to pump cpu heat from cold to hot side ....second peltier needs to pump cpu heat + 1st peltier heat from cold to hot side...third peltier needs to pump cpu heat +1st and 2nd peltier heat from cold to hot side

Originally posted by Retro Rex
You need more research on how peltiers work...

Short summary of your proposed setup.

ie...first peltier needs to pump cpu heat from cold to hot side ....second peltier needs to pump cpu heat + 1st peltier heat from cold to hot side...third peltier needs to pump cpu heat +1st and 2nd peltier heat from cold to hot side

of course, how else would I run it?

by in a series I meant 1st cold side would cool CPU, 2nd cold side would cool hot side of 1st, then 3rd cold side would cool 2nd hot side, heatsink and giant fan would cool hot side of 3rd.

unless I'm missing something here...

You're missing the fact that:
1) One 80W peltier is not sufficient to cool that chip to any massive advantage, even with watercooling

2) The SP-97 will NOT sufficiently remove heat from the peltier, even with this psychofan and a shroud, and will in fact hinder your temperatures.

3) Peltiers in series only change the DeltaT, not the heat moved. With three peltiers you will have a 120C chip and a melted case.

You'll waste the money on the fan and the pelts and the heatsink, but you won't watercool... why?
Grand total is 50 for the HSF, 73 for the fan, 20 each for the pelts, and then you have to get a powersupply which is another 100... now you set above $300... which is far more than even a good homebrew watercooling setup is.

Think about it...

Get the SP-97 and a Vantec Tornado, or make your own watercooling setup.

the watercooling is sadly an impossibility for now as my parents dont like the idea of watercooling inside a computer. ( I dont know, but resistance is futile ).

I already have a SP-97 and a 92mm tornado, but they dont really cool THAT well,

I just finished building an A64 system for my freind ( A64 3400+ @ 2.5GHz ) with an RBX and some other really nice stuff, and I want to beat it with an XP.

So, are you saying it is impossible to get really good cooling on air?

they dont like water cooling but they are willing to let you mess around with peltiers? I'd go for either some serious air cooling (thermalright or swiftech) or water cooling.

Back