About to pull the trigger on a Qnix QX2710 or X-Star DP2710 had some questions though

Carv

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been doing some research on what 1440p monitor to buy, and since my budget is between $300 and $400 it seems the Korean models are what fits that. The monitor is going to be connected to my computer full-time so I don't need multi input, and I plan to mess around with overclocking it if necessary.

I'm looking at this one for the Qnix: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...4686?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ed82a5ae

And this one for the X-Star: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matt-X-STAR...8190?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4d0d1e678e

I was also thinking about grabbing a DVI cable from monoprice if I need be.

My main concern is with FPS games, I dont play them competitively but when I do I'd like to not miss out on anything. One of the main FPS games that I play is Planetside 2 which I heard there could be some issues. So just wanted to get some comments from anyone who has one of these or maybe a recommendation on whether the two links I provided are the ones I should be looking at.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Stolen from the 30 page Qnix thread that you can find in this sub-forum:

I received my QX2710 late last week and I am finally happy. I was looking for an upgrade to my VG236HE so before the QX2710 I tried the VG248QE and the U2913WM. I did not like the color and washed out look of the VG248QE and while the U2913WM was beautiful to look at, it just couldn't handle gaming very well. The motion blur and lack of 120Hz support was too much to ignore.

That brings me to the QX2710. After hooking it up, I immediately went to the Nvidia control panel and created a custom res for 120Hz. It worked without a hitch. I have played several hours of Planetside 2 and Borderlands 2 and the monitor has worked flawlessly. I will say that the Qx2710 may have more motion blur than my VG236HE but it is minimal. At 120Hz, the QX2710 handles motion and gaming very well.

I also don't see any dead or stuck pixels and BLB is minimal. The only thing I don't really like is the lack of a menu and the stand is mediocre. I fixed the stand though. I took the stand off of my old VG236HE and it fits the VESA mount on the back of the QX2710. It is a big improvement.

I got the QX2710 from Hulustar for under $320 - a 27" IPS that will do 120Hz with no dead pixels and hardly any BLB.

For the price, I highly doubt I could have done better.

If this guy can do it, you can too.

The QX2710 model with only a DVI port has extremely low input latency. Easily low enough to compare to even gamer designed panels with low input latency.

The multi input models however DO NOT have low input latency (or as low) and don't overclock.

Go for a pixel perfect one if you can find it. You should be golden. I have 3 of these and adore them.

I have been thinking about picking up a Qnix QX2710 to hold me over until LG gets its issues with 21:9 models under control..Really quick, can someone comment if the 2710's suffer from PWM dimming?

Figured I'd give an update.

Purchased the Pixel Perfect Qnix from the link in my op on Tuesday of last week. Received the monitor on Thursday and when I plugged it in it wouldn't turn on (so sad), I figured it was a faulty power adapter so I messaged the seller on ebay and they agreed. They sent me a new one which I received today and that's what it was. :)

Been using the monitor for a couple of hours now and I must say it's like a new world. So much space. Very awesome indeed.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should overclock it and what the advantages are. I loaded up Planetside 2 and noticed nothing weird about it while playing as far as looks go. (On the contrary, my jaw was on the floor at how nice it looked and that I was still running at 55-60 FPS in the middle of a huge battle)

Also loaded CS:GO and saw some weird stuttering but I think that was the server because when I switched servers it was running smoothly.

Anyway those are my thoughts for now, if anyone wants to comment on overclocking it I'm all ears.

Is it safe to say that if you are at 55-60 FPS that 60 frames per second, aka, 60hz would be good enough?

could be just me though. :)

I am sure 120 hz is better as nothing is exact of course and it would catch more frames, be more fluid as things rapidly fluctated every 1/55th-1/100th of a second. But really, I cant imagine this being that important despite the trend of people going mega oc on their panels.

I have known competitive players and they turn down all things non-necessary until it is just squares and blocks at 100+ fps. (I was friends with a person who was number 1 on quake III back in the day for over a week. That was when millions were playing). I think people on these forums mix the two together, the desire for mega eye candy and beauty, and framerate for competitive play. just me though?

I'm just like the guy mentioned in one of the first posts. I had an ASUS VG236H and wanted more real estate so I bought a QX2710 off eBay. It displays 120hz no problem and is a pretty solid monitor for $300. My only complaint is it has a very slight yellow tint to it.

Is it safe to say that if you are at 55-60 FPS that 60 frames per second, aka, 60hz would be good enough?

could be just me though. :)

I am sure 120 hz is better as nothing is exact of course and it would catch more frames, be more fluid as things rapidly fluctated every 1/55th-1/100th of a second. But really, I cant imagine this being that important despite the trend of people going mega oc on their panels.

I have known competitive players and they turn down all things non-necessary until it is just squares and blocks at 100+ fps. (I was friends with a person who was number 1 on quake III back in the day for over a week. That was when millions were playing). I think people on these forums mix the two together, the desire for mega eye candy and beauty, and framerate for competitive play. just me though?

Well I mean, I don't really play competitively, so if I can get eye candy and good performance at the same time then I'm a happy camper.

I have two Qnix QX2710's. One can overclock to 96Hz while the other can do 120Hz.. I haven't messed with it enough though to see if I can bring the other to 120Hz. Also one has a slight yellow tint while the other looks great so I think it's just the luck of the draw. Haven't done any color calibration yet.

What i was trying to say is that if you arent turning off all effects and eye candy to play competitively, you are not really using the above 60 frames per second, aka 60Hz, of a regular LCD monitor. 120hz can be more fluid at moments of course, but i would say rarely.

Not to say that the monitor you want isnt cool. I think it is very cool.

What i was trying to say is that if you arent turning off all effects and eye candy to play competitively, you are not really using the above 60 frames per second, aka 60Hz, of a regular LCD monitor. 120hz can be more fluid at moments of course, but i would say rarely.

Not to say that the monitor you want isnt cool. I think it is very cool.

You may not realize it, but you are beating a dead horse. Just Google it because this has been covered all over the internet.

Well yeah. I mean it shows no difference in studies of people looking at either content. which is why im telling the guy to not bother if he isnt a competition gamer who does not use eye candy. I also detected that he was not talking about input lag considerations. And on further comments he was talking about 120mhz as a possible needed thing which it wouldnt be a factor for his wants

My x-star does ~135Hz, but it screws up the uniformity. I run ~90 - 96 Hz.

Do you notice a major difference going from the default 60hz to 96? Do you do any gaming on it?

To me, the difference between 60 and 90 is massive. The difference between 90 and 120 is noticeable, but much less blatant then 60 to 90.
Yes I game, and higher refresh rate helps even when the game is running below 60Hz anyway. More uniform frametime and less tearing.

To me, the difference between 60 and 90 is massive. The difference between 90 and 120 is noticeable, but much less blatant then 60 to 90.
Yes I game, and higher refresh rate helps even when the game is running below 60Hz anyway. More uniform frametime and less tearing.

Guess I'll be overclocking to 96 then.

Seems like the process is, install the Qnix drivers, install Toastyx AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher, run CRU and add 96hz. Restart and should be good no?

Back