About to buy parts for the first time and a question...

1erCru

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to get buy with less voltage if cooling capacity increases?

Im currently at 1.38v CPU core. Im at 4.9Ghz stable. Using a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ and getting prime temps maxed in the high 70's to low 80's. Its a hell of an air cooler for
$30. If I can decrease the temps with more aggresive cooling i.e. a water loop, is it possible to maintain 4.9Ghz but with less voltage? Im pretty sure I can get 5Ghz stable with water, most likely a 1.4 CPU core. Im not sure how I feel about keeping the core this high but if I can get the max temps under 70C I wouldnt be too worried.

Also interested in any input regarding what parts to buy considering a HAF X case. Budget $400.

Usually heat is not what causes overclocking instability, heat is just a result of increased voltages. In other words, reducing your cpu temps won't allow you to reduce your voltage while maintaining the same clocks. Of course, reducing the cpu temperature by going to water will potentially let you increase voltages without high temperatures forcing a shutdown, but you still won't be able to reduce voltages.

Since you're in the 70s-80s, I'm assuming you have an Intel CPU. Intel CPUs do not really scale with cold as I recall, so lower temps does not necessarily mean lower voltages. At your clock speed, I'm assuming you have a 2500k or 2600k. If so, you might be at a frequency wall where you need much higher voltages to just go up 100 mhz.

AMD CPUs are the ones that can run lower voltages with lower temps at the same clock speeds.

Any recommendations on a radiator that would accomadate a HAF X case?

Any 360 (3x120) radiator that's not one of those crazy 60+mm thick radiators.

Brands recommended:
HWLabs Black Ice
Alphacool Nexxxos
Swiftech
Aquacomputer
XSPC

Brands to avoid:
EK

Back