About to Buy... check me please!

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
"Finger on the trigger and it's at my head..."

Well, I'm *almost ready to buyt this system for myself (well, components... building the system...)

My budget is ~500$, and all of this comes to 480$ (including shipping)

motherboard: Abit NF7
Reason: Abit is a stong company, I wanted nforce2, got decent reviews, nice and cheap.

cpu: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Reason: Best performance/price chip out there. and a decent overclocker.

Video Card: ATI 9200 SE 128Mb
Reason: This is misleading. I'm buying this card to put into the family Dell, and I'm taking my Shappire 9600 Pro Atlantis outta the family comp into my system

HDD: WD 40GB 7200RPM HDD
Reason: I like WD, and if I need more space, I have another 40GB hard drive I cna take form the family comp into mine.

FDD: Mitsumi 1.44" floppy (Black)
Reason: Cheap.

CD-ROM: Compaq 48x EIDE blackp/b]
Reason: Cheap and black

RAM: 256mb Kingston HyperX PC2700
Reason: It's Good. I am also giving my friend a stick of PC2100 from my family computer for a 256mb stick of PC2700 he accidently got on ebay. Total RAM will be 512MB (I want to run them in dual channel, but if I can't it's no biggie

Case: DYNAPOWER Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "86B2"
Reason: Has a 430watt PSU, I like the looks, has a window, 4 total case fan slots (i belive, might be 3)

black 104key keyboard
Reaosn: cheap

Mouse: Intellimouse Explorer
Reason: I lie the feel of them

KVM Switch:Linksys ProConnect Integrated 2-Port KVM Switch–RETAIL
Reason: Not buying a new monitor, so when i'm gaming at home, i'll jsut switch it w/ the family computer; frined is lending me a monitor for LANs

Misc: Anti-Static Braclet, 3x80mm case fans, 1 tube of Arctic Silver Creamique
Reaosn: needed this stuff

HSF: Thermaltake A1889-01 Silent Boost
Reason: Quiet.

Final words: I was thinking about OCing it a bit.... aas much stable as I cna get outta the RAM... anyone have any guesstimates about how far it'll go stable, based on mobo/ram/cpu/cooling? I know you cna neveer really tell till you test it, but anyone have any ideas?

Comment, suggest things, etc. Also, If you're gonna suggest a new part, and you are including a link or whatever, i'd rather not buy froma store that has less than a 7.5 on ressellerratings.... i know, i'm picky. :p

why are u getting ceramicq? get as5

looks good, i'd throw down money for a bigger hdd rite now, makes more sense

make sure youre getting the

nf7-s 2.0

id also get the mobile barton 2500+

the floppy is uncessary imo

and you can get a dvd/cdrw combo for about 50 bucks

I'd definently go for a larger hd, they can be had for not much money especially if you wait til someplace like bestbuy has them on sale, I got my las 3 160 giggers for $60-70 apiece

Also CD-Rom??!?!?!?

A cd-r or a dvd can be had for like $3 more or better yet get a combo dvd/cdr for not too much more. As newer games are likely to be coming on dvd (ut2k4) and its always good to make cd copies for audio cds/homework/whatever

perhaps go for a lower video card if its just going into the family computer and use the extra money for the above

Change the processor to a mobile barton 2400+ and it looks good-to-go :)

Ok, upgraded to a DVD/CD ROM instead. (14$ more)

Also change HDD to 80GB WD 7200rpm drive ($10 more)

sdk: I'm getting creamique becasue I heard it was much easier/safter to apply, and i've never applied thermal compund before.

Not getting the mobie barton because i'm not building this machine to be a hardcore overclocker, so FSB OCing only is fine with me. besides, that costs more.

I like the FDD cause I uses floppys to flash bios and whatnot.

I'm not getting the NF7-S because it cost ~30$ more, and I don't need SATA, and I'm just using medicore headphones with it, so not having soundstorm is fine with me. not worth 30$ anyway.

My freind is giving me some pc2700, so it's the best deal for me to get that instea dof pc3200.

But the PC 2700 limits your overclocking. You probably won't be able to get much over say 180mhz FSB with 2700 RAM.

And a Mobile Barton 2400 is only 78 bucks from Newegg. I should know, my brother in law just ordered one yesterday.

Originally posted by bigredelmodoll
But the PC 2700 limits your overclocking. You probably won't be able to get much over say 180mhz FSB with 2700 RAM.

And a Mobile Barton 2400 is only 78 bucks from Newegg. I should know, my brother in law just ordered one yesterday.

I agree with the ram thing. You could use a divider, but then you will kill your performance.

Originally posted by RS3RS
Change the processor to a mobile barton 2400+ and it looks good-to-go :)
indeed, $78 is a great price for something that OCs to about 2.5Ghz on air, gg :D

didn't see that price (wasn't on pricewatch)
for 3$ nmore, i'll get the mobile. :)

Well..... I figure I cna drop the extra money to get the faster ram... I think... now what should I get?

Mushkin Blue Dual Pack 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail ($118)

[edit] realized this other RAM was pc2700, not pc3200.....

hmm... another question popped into my mind when I looked at the 1400+ m specs....

the default FSB is 266mhz, 133x14.... I would be happy with an overclock of 166x14; if I did that Would it be logical jsut to stay with pc2700 RAM?

you said you'll be oc'ing.... go the loud way....you wont regret... well most of the time louder is better.

Also i would highly suggest some kinston 3700 hyperx, they are cheaper than some 2700 brand...

Originally posted by embro

you said you'll be oc'ing.... go the loud way....you wont regret... well most of the time louder is better.

Also i would highly suggest some kinston 3700 hyperx, they are cheaper than some 2700 brand...
what? :confused:
the silent boost is quiet and works great so get it

as for the ram, if ur only gonna OC to 166 and ur on a budget...then stick with ur 2700. It'll do the trick and u'll be happy knowing that u saved $125+

gah, this is so difficult... I mean.... I can justify spending the extra $60 and getting the dual pack of mushkin pc3200 (and it has cool looking heat spreaders :p).....I mean if I don't get the mushkin and I stay with the pc2700, I'd get 1 stick of hyperx, and i'd have one stick of value Micron ram......

I htink i'll go for the mushkin... if you guys think that the Mushkin Blue ram is good (i've only really delt with crucial and kingston)

If you are going to overclock, you have to go Mobile. The desktop-oriented Bartons are locked, and because the chips are now laser-cut, shorting pins won't unlock it.

yeha, I decided to go with the 2400 M Barton.

However... if i'm only a moderate overclocker, would ya'll consider it worth it to spend 60$ more to get 2x256mb PC3200 Mushkin Blue RAM than t6o have 1x256mb pc2700 Hyperx and 1x245mb pc2700 Micron value RAM?

Well, today I wa sin town, and I decided to check the HDD section of compUSA while I was there, as suggested.

Lo and Behold, a Segate Barracude 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache HDD!
139.99-30.00 intant rebate - 50.00 mail in rebate = 59.99. So I boguht it. (also bought the anti-staic wrist band :p)

Back