? About setting up game server

zidion

Limp Gawd
is 4mb/384kb good for a server? or not?

its cable internet by the way.

i have dsl in the area with same speeds.

Also how many people do you plan on being on these servers? You'll need alot more bandwidth to push 20+ on a BF:V

Check out www.dslreports.com and you can probably find better prices. Speakeasy does 6Mbps/768Kbps for about $100/mo, but a lot of local companies will do it for cheaper. There's one by me that does it for $60/mo, but I'm too far from the telco for it....

*cry* I want a T3

the upload on that cable connection will only be able to host 12ish people on one game and be saturated.

Your Upload is a tad low... But mine is lower...

I pay for a 600/100... and get 5970/321... for about $35-40CAD a month :) I love my ISP :D

Edit: Ran a recent speed test after tweaking my Internet connection: 6607/333 :D:eek:

Your also running cable, which will be unstable for external users pings anyway. If you want to host a home server, DSL will give you much better "stable" pings.

I'm running 4 mbit / 876(?)kbps, and I run a CS server with 12 people, it lags, especially when downloading something at a high speed or uploading at all.

jaqie said:
*cry* I want a T3

the upload on that cable connection will only be able to host 12ish people on one game and be saturated.

lol 12 people? not even 4-5 people sorry...

I was giving a best case scenario, and it also depends on how they have their bandwidth set when they log in. if they all have it set to 'dialup' and have dynamic netspeed off, then it should be a better situation.

Ive run a 10 person server on my cable, it ran pretty good, of course all the people were my friends and set their speeds as I described.

how is it that there are all these servers out there then? not that many people can have T1/T3 to run those servers

Back