Abit X38 Board Available!

Woot woot woot!

I'm excited despite the fact that I probably wont get it till next year.. lol
But still!

Low priced too! Damn, my Asus Maximus Formula will be here tomorrow. I hope I made the right choice......:rolleyes:

Low priced too! Damn, my Asus Maximus Formula will be here tomorrow. I hope I made the right choice......:rolleyes:

You probably did. The Maximus Formula is nothing short of outstanding. abit has been hit or miss depending on the board model in question.

from what I've read in the abit forum, there seems to be some issues with the initial BIOS release.

still, i'm sure abit will get it ironed out and for around $200 - this looks like a good buy.

anyone know if a mATX X38 variant is slated to come out?

from what I've read in the abit forum, there seems to be some issues with the initial BIOS release.

still, i'm sure abit will get it ironed out and for around $200 - this looks like a good buy.

I'm gussing this is why Abit hadent even shipped HardOCP their review board as of a few days ago (according to emails I've hard with [H].. their probably waiting till a review worthy BIOS is ready.
hehee

the maximus is a much better board so far and will only get better.

the abit has been out a couple of weeks at least in the UK, i don't know of anyone who likes the board so far.

Let me put it this way, if I didn't feel I needed SLI right now, I'd drop a Maximus Formula in my own machine even if I had to pay full price for it. It's simply one of the best boards I've worked with in recent memory.

the maximus is a much better board so far and will only get better.

the abit has been out a couple of weeks at least in the UK, i don't know of anyone who likes the board so far.
I wouldn't go as far as that - the Maximus has been anything but plain sailing so far too for plenty of people & whilst I'm sure that it will get better as the BIOS matures exactly the same is true of the abit (& the Gigabyte &, & ..).
There are certainly a few people who like the IX38 & see a lot of potential in it but remember that abit are several weeks behind Asus/Gigabyte as far as production & hence BIOS development.

Which is totally gay on Nskidias part...

No, it's smart business. If they locked their drivers in the workstation market, they'd have a harder time selling Quadros. On the flip side, if they didn't lock out their drivers and force people to use NVIDIA chipset based boards with their video cards few people would ever buy NVIDIA chipset based motherboards. I know I wouldn't. Would you?

The only way NVIDIA could sell chipsets at all would be by marketting them as budget parts and not the high end expensive chipsets they sell today.

No, it's smart business. If they locked their drivers in the workstation market, they'd have a harder time selling Quadros. On the flip side, if they didn't lock out their drivers and force people to use NVIDIA chipset based boards with their video cards few people would ever buy NVIDIA chipset based motherboards. I know I wouldn't. Would you?

Not on Intel. On AMD I found the nForce4 SLI chipset quite good and stable. I suspect (though you probably know better than I) that NVIDIA has a hard time designing a decent memory controller, as that's the only thing really different about designing a chipset for Intel and a chipset for AMD at this point (other than the different physical sockets). Which means as soon as Nehalem is out with its integrated memory controller, I think that NVIDIA chipsets for Intel will become a lot more stable and a lot less undesirable...

Let me put it this way, if I didn't feel I needed SLI right now, I'd drop a Maximus Formula in my own machine even if I had to pay full price for it. It's simply one of the best boards I've worked with in recent memory.

Which is better for ddr2: ASUS P5E or formula/blitz/maximus or other, with penryn dual or quad core and nvidia grafics?

Well I picked up one of these, should be here next week.

I just couldn't justify going with ASUS again, had so many problems with my last board from them (on my 3rd RMA). The IP35 is outstanding so I will give Abit a try again.

Which is better for ddr2: ASUS P5E or formula/blitz/maximus or other, with penryn dual or quad core and nvidia grafics?

I would recommend the Maximus Formula or the Blitz Formula. Either is an awesome choice. As for Penryn overclocking I can't say. I haven't even handled a Penryn CPU at all yet. The graphics card choice doesn't matter as long as you aren't talking about SLI support. For quad core overclocking, I've found the P35 and X38 to be the best choices so far. So any board using one of those two chipsets would be the best bet.

:LOL:
your well behind the times See Item 7 :D

Luck:)

Hi Glowball,

I've just read your forum thread at Corsair and as you have now tried 2 different mobo's you should get them RMA'd, The 'Ram Guy' basically was waiting for you to try your new mobo and then RMA if still faulty.

Best not to waste your time, send em back

Hope this helps?

Peace

Okay, what am I looking for?

Why don't you just say what you have to say. ;)

The only way NVIDIA could sell chipsets at all would be by marketting them as budget parts and not the high end expensive chipsets they sell today.

I realise the business side of the argument but it still gay because for all intents purposes sli should work but doesnt because the drivers are locked down.

And no I would not by a NF motherboard again if I didnt need sli, as nvidias chipsets are crap and have been nothing but a pain especially 3 months on after release when its found out that said chipset cant deliver what they said it could, fuk am still waiting on my nf4 firewall chip to work properly without corrupting every single download and getting me banned from every single torrent site:) ( joke, but thats how bad their software was for their firewallchip that supposedly offloaded the load from the cpu, in the end nvidia gave up and realised it would never work properly thus their last nf4 firewall software uses the cpu to do the job of what the firewall chip was meant to be doing in the first place )

Intel makes the best chipsets and nvidia should just realise that and say ok we tried and failed lets move on and let intel chipsets and others to be able to utilise sli but unofficially and with no support, I know it wont happen but its good to dream, or maybe they could sell licenses on what chipset and chipset manufacturer is able to utilise sli on some of their motherboards, they would make money off of it I guess ?

In my opinion whicht has 0 say in the business world is that nvidia should stick to what they are magic at and thats video cards and related items as every nforce board I have owned has been a disaster one way or another, although they may have gotten better after nf4 as I havent had higher than nf4, I have had nf2, nf3 250 and nf4 sli and had nothing really good to say about any of them thus I would never buy a nvidia chipset board if I didnt want sli in the future.

It makes good business sense for nvidia to make sli a nvidia chipset only feature as they get 2 bites of the cherry, one for the video cards and another for the motherboard, and now with sli memory and sli power units etc, soon it wont matter what you buy, aslong as it has sli markings nvidia will be getting a slice of the pie for it.

But hey, am tired as I have the flu and a chest infection and am drowsy as fuk whilst writing this up, so if it reads like a pile of shit, blame the obscene amount of pills that I have been taking to make me feel better and pwn me tomorrow for it when I am actually non drowsy and able to comprehend wtf I have just posted :)

Intel makes the best chipsets and nvidia should just realise that and say ok we tried and failed lets move on and let intel chipsets and others to be able to utilise sli but unofficially and with no support, I know it wont happen but its good to dream, or maybe they could sell licenses on what chipset and chipset manufacturer is able to utilise sli on some of their motherboards, they would make money off of it I guess ?

Actually, that's not at all a bad idea. Enthusiasts want to run SLI on Intel chipsets, why not let them and make NVIDIA money at the same time? Let's say that NVIDIA makes $n net profit per chipset they sell. Then license SLI out to Intel for $n (or even a few dollars more for fun and profit) per board they sell that is SLI-blessed. So you can have a P35 or X38 Crossfire edition, or SLI edition, with the latter costing a few more dollars.

As Intel chipsets already carry a premium over NVIDIA chipsets (just look at P35 compared to 650i motherboard prices for example), then SLI-enabled Intel chipsets would be the most expensive of all, but that wouldn't phase the target demographic for SLI, especially for full 16/16 SLI.

I had numerous nForce 4 motherboards and even an nForce Professional 2200 chipset based board. I had very little if any problems out of them and they were pretty solid. As for the nForce 680i SLI, well I've got plenty of good and bad things to say about the chipset and the boards that use it. NVIDIA chipsets for the AMD platform have been pretty decent for the most part, but on the Intel side, they've always been flaky.

I agree Intel makes the best chipsets in the world, but frankly, NVIDIA isn't going to give up on the motherboard chipset market just yet. They know that many people will tolerate their chipsets as long as they can get working SLI out of the deal. It's crap, no one likes to have to do that, but many people do it for the extra performance. I can tell you right now SLI has come in very handy with Crysis and COD4, and even UT3. At 2560x1600 I need all the power I can get. So as much as I'd rather be running an X38 motherboard, I have little choice at present if I want a dual video card solution. The only way this will change is if ATI gets their shit in gear and provides a single or multi-GPU solution that offers at least a 20% gain or more in performance compared to what I have now. On the other side of the coin if NVIDIA released a video card that I could use by itself that was as powerful as my SLI setup, then I might be willing to pick that up and dump what I have now.

For those that ordered please post back with initial results. I'm going to get that board in the next week or two unless I hear it's terrible. My last two boards were Abit NF7-S and they still work to this day. Never even updated the BIOS on either of them.

I'm sure that it'll get there - early adopters always have to expect a few teething troubles with initial BIOS etc. but abit's hardware design team seems to be on a roll lately.
A couple of people with IX38 QuadGTs are saying that they like the board even although the early BIOS is a bit buggy.

Back