Abit vs. Asus

Need Help! I'm building a semi-budget system to do some video editing. I've got a P4 3GHz (1mb cache, 800fsb) already and am wondering which mobo to get. Price is somewhat of a factor. My choices are:

Abit IS7 for $100
Abit AI7 for $120
Asus P4P800 for $120

I don't do much overclocking b/c stability is key and I"m a noob at that stuff so it seems as if the AI7's bunch of features are kinda useless. I'm pretty much looking for the best performance right out of the box for the best price. I guess I could do some tweaking. Any suggestions as to which is board is best for me?

IMHO Asus is always the way to go, I'd look at the P4C800 its cheaper than the P4C800-E but just as fast

If you want pure stability, nothing is better than an Intel 865PERL motherboard. Intel boards are notorious for their rock solid stability, just the lack of an ability to overclock. Overclocking doesn't seem to be an option for you, so I'd say invest in it.

Dark Assassin

If ABIT boards were $10-20bucks cheaper than the ASUS boards, then ABIT would be the best, but their generally not. Their usually around the same price as the ASUS counterpart or a lot more, which I don't like. I say this as, ABIT RMAs took way longer than ASUS RMAs did. I also rank ABIT 2nd best. So if their 2nd best to the World's #1 Motherboard manufacturer (ASUS) then they should have slightly lower prices than ASUS boards, so that their worth the noticible difference.

The last RMA our store did with ABIT took 2 months, opposed to with ASUS anywhere from 2-4weeks, but never longer than a month. That was an IC7 that had an error beep going off a bit (ie. not beeping like normal but a low tone beep) with nothing actually being wrong with the board, as everything was plugged in right and running properly.

I've built a ton of systems with both motherboard manufacturers, and I still prefer ASUS only slightly more, mainly for the fact I know my RMA aint gonna take longer than a month at the very most, as well with the expereience of ASUS boards not crapping out as much as ABIT boards based on % of boards being DOA (ABIT only being a small % higher than ASUS).

I only say this based on my experience, and with my luck. I know there are tons of people that have way better luck with ABIT boards than they do with ASUS or other.

So you decide.

Asus > Abit

I have had limited experience with building machines. While I am good at it, I have never worked in a shop to see lots of them come through, so my experience is only through my machines, friends machines, and ones I built for others. That said, 2 of my Abit machines crapped out after a year or two. Both boards were replaced with Asus' and its been 3yrs or so since then and both of those machines are still up and running. A good friend of mine's Abit died as well, RMA'd, and it's been fine for 3yrs, but has always had quirky bugs to it. 2 other buddies have a Asus and Abit respectably and both boards work fine for them.. however, the Abit has had quirky problems as well in this case. All these boards are 815 and one was a 440bx. So my experience has been very Pro Asus.

I also just bought a new P4P800SE from Asus for $93 @ Neweeg and it's been fantastic. Very solid and reliable. Have had it about a month with a 2.4C @ 3.06 stable. Ran a week solid before I shut it down cause I left town for 4 days.

i agree with Ezekial got the same mobo (P4P800SE) from newegg run a 2.8G and i'm vary happy with it.
plus if you want to tweak a little its easy.

i would advise the is7 i have one in mine (see specs below) and it does video editing with ulead NICELY

I just finished builing a computer with a P4P800 board. Its been great. I had it going for a week, went out of town for a week, and the next day I got a boot virus. I'm acually just now installing windows again after all the bs, but obviously thats not the boards fault. I have only had 1 Abit board, so its hard for me to not be a little one sided. But I am throwing in another vote for Asus. Good luck with the system!

I've built tons of P4C800-Deluxe systems, P4C800-E Deluxe systems, P4P800-Deluxe machines and of course P4P800/P4P800SE/P4P800-E Deluxe and several Intel D865PERL and D875PBZ systems.

I've also built machines with all the other boards. Intel and Asus have time and time again proven their stability and quality right out of the box. Intel's don't overclock, but I've had great experience with the Asus's.

Other boards have been a crap shoot. Especially the PC-Chips and ECS stuff. It's garbage. However I've had mixed luck with MSI. Some boards are good some are really bad. This is out of the box mind you. Some have just died. For no reason.

Worse yet was Gigabyte. I've had REAL bad luck with those.

And I do work in a service shop. Worst bigger name brands in my experience.

Gigabyte
ECS
Soyo
FIC
PC-Chips

Best in my experience

Asus
Intel
Supermicro (Xeon's Only)
Tyan (Good quality, questionable features and layout)

I've built alot of machines with Abit boards. When I built them for other people they seem to work ok. But when I try to use them in my machines I have crap luck. So I've got mixed feelings on their stuff.

Back