Abit RMA hell, please help choose replacement for ix38

JHFerry

Weaksauce
So my nice Abit IX38 quad GT died. RIght when I rma it, Abit shuts down its US operation. So basically its a small office is CA handling the RMA (non technical people)

Upon weeks of waiting, they tell me they cant get another quad GT but would offer me a replacement. The name that came up was the IP 35. Its based on the p35 chipset with a 1333 fsb.

The main stats on the ix38 are of course the newer ix38 chipset with a fsb of 1600 (is that oc'd out of the box?) I thought native ix38 chipset was 1333 as well. Is the ix38 much better than the IP35?

To me this is a step back, especially for the future. Abit is out of the mobo buissness but their newer board is the ix48 which only lists the fsb at 1333. How can a newer chipset have a slower fsb? I am asking because I am going to demand the newer board.

Anyway, they said I could wait for an ix38 but it could take awhile. This is the worst RMA experience I have ever had. What would you guys do? I spent over 2 bills on this board and dont want to send me an 2007 board worth shit.

IP35 should do 400 FSB with no problem at all. I could hit 450 on my IP35 Pro with stock voltages. The only downside is it doesn't support Crossfire very well because it's only got 1 16x PCIe slot instead of 2...

What bugs me is the downgrade. They told me I could wait for the same board but I am worried they pull the plug on RMA all together. Either that or they are playing games trying to get rid of inventory.

I would wait for x38 to arrive, and buy something else for now. sell whichever you dont want later. The x38 has full 2x16 pci express lanes, the lower ones will not, maybe a 16x, 4x like on a p965 mobo.

Back