Abit NF7-S 2.0 Optical Sound Quality?

Sharp4600

Limp Gawd
Looking to get a new reciever for my pc and htpc setup. I was wondering how well is the Abit Soundstorm with the optical for 5.1. I noticed when in analog the centre volume would would kick up and kick down a lot. I guess it was mixing the Front Left and Front Right Channels in games, not sure about DVD's.
Does anyone know how well it does before I shell out and buy a new reciever and optical cable, not the cheap plastic kind either.

did the games you played support 5.1 sound? or was it mixed from stereo? I play dvd's with dolby digital and they sound pretty good. Games are diffrent though depending on the audio format they use like EAX or EAXHD exc. Some formats the soundstorm can't decode properly and it down mixes to four channel audio exc. Look for the soundstorm forum to see work arounds and what works.

Oh I recall now, I mainly noticed it in Winamp 5. The Centre channel would increase/decrease every so often. Had the same effect in another NF7-S and AN7.

When used in Analog mode Soundstorm isn't the best (it's okay but I don't like using it if I have too) because it doesn't really use Soundstorm stuff. Soundstorm really kicks in when used with a Digital signal, then all it does is pass the signal along for the reciever to decode.
More Audio stuff: http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10

Oh I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with a pair of Sennheiser headphones and IIRC the southbridge can get kind of hot causing interference when use in Analog mode if so just strap a heatsink on it (I'm using one from an old GF2 MX).

For DVD movies, the DD/DTS signal should pass through the SoundStorm optical connection without any modification exactly like a set-top DVD player would.

Back