Abit is closing its doors.

I'm downloading all the drivers now from their ftp site. Sucks that they have it throttled to a max of 55KBps

This comes as no shock to me given their recent history. As I've said before in other threads, the ABIT I knew died a long time ago. Probably before they became "abit."

Last time, I use to be torn between choosing them and Asus motherboard. Their board use to be good, many people recommended me for the P4 for overclocking.

I wonder what went wrong for them

I have always liked Abit, i used their older boards almost exclusively, then started moving to DFI and Asus.

Last Abit boards I owned where BE6-II boards, for good old celeron 366@550mhz, it was a great board, till it died, and then bought a second one, and it died.

Long live asus!

This comes as no shock to me given their recent history. As I've said before in other threads, the ABIT I knew died a long time ago. Probably before they became "abit."

Agreed, my last true ABIT board was the IC7-G

Here is the list of the ABIT board i had:

1. BP6
2. KT7 (swapped for KT7A a week later)
3. KT7A Raid (started my enthusiast path)
4. KG7
5. KR7
6. BD7
7. BD7II
8. IC7G

This is very sad indeed. It's like the world just got a little smaller...

Old school Abit was the shit, but what's wrong with now?

Their P35 motherboards are the shit.

ban for repost of a repost of a repost

Well I knew abit wasn't producing motherboards anymore, but I didn't know they were closing down completely. (Though ceasing motherboard production did indicate a downward death spiral.)

My bro-in law still has my Intel 925x Abit board cranking away under his desk.

LOVED my NF7-S, still using my IP35 Pro, but it does some odd things sometimes.. Used ASUS and DFI in between..

This is sad, but expected. Half of my MBs have been ABIT. . . er abit. I remember a few years that I wouldn't even consider another brand. My last one, an AW8D, was the flakiest board I have every owned. Ah well, better to die now than linger.

I hate to see this, my first build ever back in january, I used the ip35 pro, and its still going strong, would have deffinately chosen them again for my new build in a few weeks if they were still producing MBs. Hmm gonna suck if my abit board does go out tho, guess ill just have to buy a new one instead of RMA.

It sucks, but it's also hardly a surprise. abit was merely a shadow of its old self, and honestly, its demise is still a better turnout than it would have been had they continued to produce poor products.

The [H]ardOCP ABIT Factory Tour:

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTk4LCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

1011476666kGMuSNqRGw_1_1.jpg

This is a sad day. I've owned a total of 4 Abit motherboards although my favorites were the BP6 and IP-35E. But I guess it isn't really surprising given the stories that had been circulating for a while about them exiting the motherboard business.

I was an Abit fanboy. My last two boards however went to shit for no reason (ip35 pro and AB9 QuadGT) and so I decided that since Abit is taken a dump, there was no point in RMA'ing any of them, so I went Asus and I'm not looking back at this point. Abit was the bomb, I will miss their boards, but sadly this is the way of life in the business world.

That sucks. I bought a Abit IP35V back in feb. It was my first overclocking experiance and it was super easy. I had them in mind when I decide to build another PC but I guess when that time comes I'll have to go to another company. :(

I've actually had very mixed experiences with ABIT boards over the years. Most of the time I had great experiences with their Intel boards and rarely had good ones with AMD processor compatible boards. Occasionally exceptions break the rule either way but I've had my share of crap ABIT boards as well as very reliable boards that overclocked well.

2.65GB of drivers downloaded after 24 hours and it hasn't stopped. I hate ftp bandwidth limits.

Anyways, hats off to Abit, the first manufacturer that used jumperless mobo's back in the early 90's.

Both my IC7 and NF7 boards are still working strong! I remember when they were the best boards you could buy. Seems like yesterday.

Sad day indeed. Abit BH6 & 533 Coppermine is where it all started for me. A lot of fond memories.

I've read somewhere that many of the brains behind Abit are now working at Biostar, which is sort of comforting to know, as I've become a fan of Biostar before I knew this.

Sad day indeed. Abit BH6 & 533 Coppermine is where it all started for me. A lot of fond memories.

I've read somewhere that many of the brains behind Abit are now working at Biostar, which is sort of comforting to know, as I've become a fan of Biostar before I knew this.

Biostar, and DFI.

I believe Oskar Wu went over to DFI at one point; Uncertain if he's still there or not.

Back