Abit IP35 Wont Boot

Im in the process of building a new computer.

Specs are
Abit IP35
4GB of G.skill PC6400 DDR2
Intel C2Duo E6750
BFG 8800GT 512mb
Antec 550 NeoPower

Put everything together with an 8400GT and I got a successful POST.

I didn't install windows because I had an 8800GT in the mail. I put the 8800GT in and get a 8.2. boot code, which is a power supply issue code.

After some research I have found two issues. Some power supplies don't play well with the IP35 and some 8800GT cards don't mesh with with it either. Since I want an 8800GT and I've verified my PSU is ok (successful POST), I believe I'm going to RMA my mobo. What are some good boards to use with a C2D that are stable and will work with an 8800GT?

Heh, so the rumor is an issue with Seasonic supplied PSUs and Abit IP35 series boards. Some people thing its a temperature problem... what is your ambient temp? Have you tried another PSU? Just curious.

Anyhow, which features of the IP35 made you choose it? If you just need 4 SATA ports and no raid nor firewire, then the IP35-E is a great choice. An alternative to the -E is the GA-P35-DS3L from Gigabyte. If you want RAID and/or more SATA ports (8), the GA-P35-DS3R is a good choice. If you need firewire, the P5K is nice. If you need both RAID and Firewire, check out the DS3P, DS4, Asus P5K-E.

If you like tweaking a billion settings, check out the DFI offerings. Another option is the MSI P35 series.

The only other power supply I have is an Antec Earthwatts 420w that I've had great luck with. However, word has it that the Abit doesn't like that one either. I think I'm going to go with the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R. I want/need 8 SATA ports as I have a SATA dvd drive, 1 main HDD and several storage HDD.

Also, I hate fiddling with 300million settings. I want a rock solid board, that can overclock a little that wont give me problems. I also want passive cooling because I've had enough with fan drone.

Ditch the GA-P35C-DS3R and go for the regular GA-P35-DS3R instead. No need for DDR3 compatibility. By the time DDR3 is worth buying and by the time the CPUs can take advantage of it, it will be time for a new motherboard.

The Earthwatts 430W is also Seasonic made, lol. Try it anyways... it won't hurt.

Thanks for the words of advice guys. Is there any truth to the belief that modular power supplies have voltage drops as you add more pigtails?

Running the sig rig with a Corsair. :S never had any problems. Sorry to hear your on the wrong side of the PSU issues mate.

And no they don't eat your babies. Nothing but net with my corsair. And I maintain a good modular is just as good at supplying the correct Volts and amps.

There is also a problem with the IP35 and using memory that requires more that 1.8V after a CMOS reset.
I bought some OCz DDR2-800 2.1V ram and very occasionally the machine will POST, letting me change the voltages so it can actually boot.
It takes about 100 attempts to get a post though, the rest of the time it beeps and makes me swear.
Replacing the Ram with some Geil stopped me swearing :)

Back