ABit IP35 Pro or Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6

fantomau

2[H]4U
Which of these 2 mobos is the better choice?

I know that the Zalman HS/F wont fit on the GB board (At least thats what a rep at Zalman told me on the phone).

Well, I'm a terribly biased fanboy because my Abit IP35 Pro has been an awesome board that has never had an issue with either an E6600 or a Q6600. It also has a mile of room around the socket for even the bigger coolers (Zalman 9700, Tuniq, TRUE). That's a fanboy, right? Someone who's happy with his purchase and the company that delivered as promised? :p

I just ordered the Abit board for my new build friday.
Going Abit IP35-Pro/Q6600/8800 Ultra :D

I hate you because the OC gods will bless you with a G0 in addition to an Ultra! I offended them in some way, and received a B3. :p By all that I mean... man are you going to have fun! :D

P35T means DDR3 which will cost an arm & a leg for little current benefit.

I'm using an IP35 Pro and loving it too, though everything I've heard indicates the Gigabyte DDR2 high-end board is equally awesome.

I just ordered the Abit board for my new build friday.
Going Abit IP35-Pro/Q6600/8800 Ultra :D

Ditto! with an Ultima-90 too! Just picked up two 500 gig WD HD's at Fry's for 99 each today as well for RAID 1 data ownage. LOL Oh, I'll def. have a g0 since I ordered from Club IT.

I think the ip35 from abit is the new IC7 and/or P5b deluxe board...everyone will have one so lots of support & help if trouble comes around and/or for tweaking.

I think the ip35 from abit is the new IC7 and/or P5b deluxe board...everyone will have one so lots of support & help if trouble comes around and/or for tweaking.

Trust me, That if I do run into to trouble, I know where to goto for that extra bit of help.

As far as tweaking/ocing goes, I've never really done any of that stuff before, So I may need some help once I do get my system built, (CPU, Ram, Video)

And thanx, That just makes me realize that I did select a very good mobo in the Abit IP35 Pro to go along with the E6750.

another bias vote for the IP35 Pro, very solid board. no issues at all and I am even using the same bios the board shipped with. I had some issues with previous boards I used with 4x1GB of memory but this one worked out great.(DFI 965-s , Asus P5n32-e SLI had issues)

I got the IP35 Pro and it gave me nothing but troubles. Switched to the DQ6 and its been smooth sailing. Someone else in another thread got 200mhz+ increase in overclock when he switched to the DQ6. It may be a hassle with the back plate but, at least the PWM won't overheat after a minute or two of stress testing.

I got the IP35 Pro and it gave me nothing but troubles.
& you were told that you had a bad sample & to RMA it.
I can find people having problems with the DQ6 but it doesn't stop me recommending it to others if I think it will suit them - 1 swallow does not a summer make & 1 bad mobo doesn't condemn a whole range.

+1 for the IP-35 Pro. I have one and have been recommending it because it is very good.

Although i have no experience with the DQ6 i think it will probably be awesome as well.

uGuru, Doesnt that work with that small display that shows temps and stuff you can buy?

yes it does.

ip35 pro/q6600. runs great, no issues, overclocks higher with the q6600 than my evga 680i.

is the better choice?

Better choice how ? What is your level of expertise ? Will you be OCing the board ?

Both boards properly set up will perfrom within a percent or 2 of each other.

The Abit has a wonderfull bios for a hard core tweaker, tons of settings to play with and if you know what you are doing is huge fun for people that like to adjust every little thing. Also impressive is the temp alarms and fan speed control. Big fun unless you are not intrested in things like GTL skew and risetime.

Gigabtye bios has everything you need but does not have all the extra settings. Allows a damn good OC setup quickly and without having to be concerned with a lot of obscure settings.

My advice to anyone considering two or more boards, is to print out the features list and download the manual for each board. Make checkmarks on the features list for the items you will actually use. Make red marks for every feature you might want but is not included. Read the manual paying close attention to the memory installation section for "gotcha's" not mentioned in the marketing BS and pay close attention to the settings available in the bios. Then your question (Which board is best FOR ME ) will be properly answered. Nothing wrong with getting input here but your own investigation should be the ultimate consideration.

& you were told that you had a bad sample & to RMA it.
I can find people having problems with the DQ6 but it doesn't stop me recommending it to others if I think it will suit them - 1 swallow does not a summer make & 1 bad mobo doesn't condemn a whole range.

With no changes to the bios (other than trying to get it to detect all my Hard drives) and no Uguru (or whatever it was called) installed, the board ran as expected. When overclocking it had problems. Also, the bundled software made my machine take about 5 minutes to get past the Windows loading screen. Between the instability with anything over 3ghz (It would boot and get into windows at 4ghz for crying out loud) and the PWM always overheating (which is a widespread problem even on these forums), I sent it back. P35-DQ6 immediately got me to 3.6ghz at a very low voltage. In fact, the only other person that has listed any overclock at or above 3.6ghz with a lower voltage was using a Gigabyte P35 based board.

There was another guy on here that made the switch and got an extra 200mhz out of his CPU due to almost no vdroop. Trust me I am not a huge fan of Gigabyte, in fact they sent me 4 faulty boards in a row before Asus saved the day this time last year, but the DQ6 is just the better board from both a quality and overclocking standpoint. If you're going to mod your IP35 Pro then it might be as good. Of course by Mod I mean Vdroop, and PWM heatsink/fan installation.

Well, I got my ip35-pro aligned with some work; An Ultima-90 keeping things cool in my p180 case (all fans on med.) Temps reach about 66 after 3 hours of Prime 95 ver. 25.3; idle around low 40's--I think it stays hotter than others since I got that 8800gtx overclocked (see sig) and it's like an oven right below the HSF. Oh well, it's worth it for the cards' overclock

Anyway voltages are just a tad over stock, running at 1.31 for the 3.2ghz, I can run 3ghz at stock voltages across the board.

I DID run into a old problem during install last night, where the board booted ok the first time, then for some reason...oh, after bios update...i got the blank screen. Memory had to be all taken out with just 1 stick of corsair and I got it to boot then boosted the voltages to 2.1 for the DDR2.

Most of my problems were due to me trying out different cooling configurations and experimenting with differnt mounts (amounts of past etc.). I finally ended up going with what Thermal right said which flies in the face of everything you read, that is spreading the past my hand on the cpu then a little on the bottom of the ultima 90.

Bad thing about the ultima 90 is you can't tighten it down that well before the screws hit their limit. I experimented with using cardboard and even a washer to try to boost the middle strap so their would be more tension, but in the end the temp differences were negligible.

I'm sitting at:
core 0: 66
Core1: 63
core2: 65
core 3: 63

after 3 and a half hours of quad priming so I think thats' pretty good on air. I don't think I'll push it much farther than this. I also set up my RAID 1 no problems with all the HD's plugged in to start with; set up my RAID 1 before I installed windows then used F6 drivers. I did the vistal upgrade/clean install trick. I can't believe how fast I booted with a clean install...that green bar that chugs across the screen? Only 2 of those!

With no changes to the bios (other than trying to get it to detect all my Hard drives) and no Uguru (or whatever it was called) installed, the board ran as expected. When overclocking it had problems. Also, the bundled software made my machine take about 5 minutes to get past the Windows loading screen.
Either you had a faulty board, a bad Windows install or user error due to unfamiliarity -we'll never know as you didn't get an abit replacement.
I can easily find as many (probably more) posts from people with problem Gigabytes though.

If you make enough of anything there are bound to be some that don't come up tp standard yet slip through the system.

Using a p35-dq6, been awesome so far. Which Zalman heatsink are you talking about? My 9500 fits fine and I believe the 9700 would too (Its just a little fatter right? Theres clearance..) You juts have to take the GB backplate off but you have to do that regardless.

Another vote for the IP35 Pro.

From the user manual to the board layout, I cannot complain about anything about this board.

Keeps every component cooled really well and haven't begun to pushed the board yet.

uGuru is really nifty and handy to work with, along with the fact that it's better than any other board I have worked with (ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe, MSI Neo2 Platinum, etc. ) makes this a no brainer in my opinion.

What is your level of expertise ?

Level of expertise? I've built several systems, Currently online on the last system I built, So I'm not a n00b.

And I did do research on these 2 boards, Calling Abit and Zalman to make sure that the HS/F I was going to use, Fit properly and perfectly.

I just posted this to get others opinions, Especially to those who actually own the boards and get their opinions.

Sorry if that was wrong to post

I ordered the Abit IP35 Pro couple of days ago my self. I was wondering if there was enough room for the Thermaltake V1

Can I ask what heatsinks you cats are using? I have an IP35 and the AC Freezer 7 I ordered can't fit because of the fan shroud. Sigh.

Can I ask what heatsinks you cats are using? I have an IP35 and the AC Freezer 7 I ordered can't fit because of the fan shroud. Sigh.

Tuniq Tower fits either horizontal or vertical.

Dethred said:
Trust me I am not a huge fan of Gigabyte, in fact they sent me 4 faulty boards in a row before Asus saved the day this time last year,
This makes me lol. The odds of that happening are about the same as winning a national lottery.

minor surgery a possibility?

I didn't have a chance last night, but I think I can safely remove the bottom of the frame and achieve close to the same results. I should clarify that it's the IP35-E, without the heatpipes, so the northbridge heatsink is considerably taller than on the non-E or Pro models.

In that case people have definitely done it before using minor surgery to the fan frame/mounting.

I read some IP35-Pro owners have the following 2 issues:
1. PWM overheats
2. ESATA does not work well.

Do you have these issues with your IP35-Pro?

Back