Abit IP35 Pro - Mosfet cooling question

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I had an Abit IP35 pro and Q6600 running prime95 stable at 400x8 but wanted to max out the FSB. I upped the FSB to 475x7, NB 1.33v and CPU at 1.45v, RAM at 2.2v since it's what Crucial recommends. When running Prime95 at the new frequency I hit a wall with the mosfet (PWM) temps. After 10 minutes they spiked to 80 degrees and a uGuru alarm started going off.

So I guess the question is how high should I have my northbridge voltage and would that lower my mosfet temps as well? Should I go for aftermarket mosfet cooling? If I do go for aftermarket cooling does that mean I need to get a NB and SB cooler as well since it's just one big heatpipe? Is it even worth it or should I just stay at a lower FSB and clock the CPU higher?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Tried lowering the CPU voltage and it wouldn't remain stable, so it looks like it wants 1.45v at least to run stable at 3.3ghz+. 425x8 @ 1.45 still results in alarms. The PWM seems to hover right at 80, so I turned the alarm off for now until I can remove the heatpipe and add some paste which seems to have helped some other people.

There is an easy answer for this if you have a P180 case; just invert the top blowhole 120mm fan to blow IN instead of OUT. PWM temps won't exceed 75 even after hours of small fft priming. Just make a goal to keep them under 80 and y ou'll be fine, they'd be fine even higher temps but 80 or less would be great! That mod is a good idea but I did that on my last mobo and the cost/benefit of doing it isn't worth it for me now....it's just not a big enough problem to do that unless I'm really bored. :)

Lacking that, a fan of some sort blowing down on them is a must. Too bad about this, but in my case (with the case I have) I solved the problem easily.

btw, I have my NB voltage (mch 1.25) at 1.37 and have no trouble with my 3.4 overclock/stability (verified soon here on the H forums Processor database).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the bolt mod a try, although the wiring in my case is rough and having to do it all over again makes me cringe. I'll probably try a fan first as a bandaid before tackling the possibly crooked heatsink.

I was initially worried about adding another fan as I'm trying to keep noise down, but it looks like the Scythe Mini Kaze will be a good fit. It's a 40mm fan with a dba rating of 14 so I doubt I will be able to hear it over the 8800 GTS and 4 case fans.

I was thinking about getting a Scythe Mini Kaze. Any suggestions as to how I would attach it? My case is a P182

DO NOT BUY ANY A-BIT P35 CHIPSET

they do not work & their forum mods had to make a BETA BIOS to get it to work correctly

DO NOT BUY ANY A-BIT P35 CHIPSET

they do not work & their forum mods had to make a BETA BIOS to get it to work correctly

Mine has worked correctly with both the stock bios and the official bios 1.1. Get a clue.

No, they didn't - beta BIOS are supplied by abit & hopefully include improvements but the release BIOS work perfectly well.
The IP35 series is deservedly one of the most popular P35 chipset ranges.

Back