Abit IP35 (Bearlake)

Cliff Couser

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...pMODEL_NAME=IP35+Pro&fMTYPE=LGA775&DEFTITLE=Y

looks to have the same features as the Asus P35 Deluxe....but ~$150-160 at launch. This looks to be a great deal.

Pre-order from the UK site below.

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/product_i...=4323&osCsid=8dc984cbff630e79a0302a9d9854c7b7

I just hope Abit doesn't mess up the initial BIOS as they did with the QuadGT. Well, this IP35 is essentialy the P35 version of the QuadGT with HDMI support and an integrated G7 solution.

Abit forums says this should be out sometime in June.

I'm sure that the integrated gF7 bit is wrong.
it does make me suspect though that abit probably have a board coming with the variant of 7050/630 for Intel CPUs.

Looks like Abit screwed the pouch even more than Asus on the board lay out!

Looks like Abit screwed the pouch even more than Asus on the board lay out!

Eh? What's wrong with the layout besides for the mildly annoying floppy-connector placement? And even that is becoming like Jimmy Durante's nose: damn ugly but nothing you can't live with. And it's there so you can slap the floppy on, install, and whip it off again toot-sweet without having to rearrange half your cabling. I'd like to see the digital power management from the QuadGT make another appearance,but otherwise it's certainly on my 'to buy' list. ;)

The location of the auxiliary power connector blows. :mad:
I know that it's there but how often do you actually see it being used?
Realistically you probably need 2 X2900s on the board to possibly need it but is anyone going to put 1 of those into a X4 electrical socket?

I know that it's there but how often do you actually see it being used?
Realistically you probably need 2 X2900s on the board to possibly need it but is anyone going to put 1 of those into a X4 electrical socket?

In the case of dual video card systems?: I see those connectors used each time. For single card users, probably not.

Realistically you probably need 2 X2900s on the board to possibly need it but is anyone going to put 1 of those into a X4 electrical socket?[/QUOTE]

I have a Crossfire setup in my other PC. With that in mind dual video card usage is indeed important to me. Additionally I have a PCIe x4 SAS/SATA RAID controller that was very expensive that I won't be trading for onboard controllers anytime soon.

Granted I'm one of the few people that these problems would effect, but surely I am not the only one. The fact is that ASUS and abit need to start doing a better job with their PCB layouts. There are plenty of other companies that get it right, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to do the same.

In the case of dual video card systems?: I see those connectors used each time

I have a Crossfire setup in my other PC. With that in mind dual video card usage is indeed important to me.
I've also run fairly high end dual gfx card setups without it though - if you have a decent PSU I don't think that it's really necessary (I'm also sure that abit would argue that they've put it close to where the power needs to be delivered if it is necessary).
& the people with the money/will to buy the really high end stuff like 2 X2900s I don't see running in an IP35 mobo due to the second X16 slot only running x4 electrically - they have the budget/will to run another chipset giving them at least dual x8 if not dual x16.

Additionally I have a PCIe x4 SAS/SATA RAID controller that was very expensive that I won't be trading for onboard controllers anytime soon.
Given that the molex socket will be flush with the PCI-E socket though do you
1) see the need to use it if you were running the RAID card?
2) have any components on the backside of the card that would interfere with it if it was used & would the RAID card require it's use?

Granted I'm one of the few people that these problems would effect, but surely I am not the only one. The fact is that ASUS and abit need to start doing a better job with their PCB layouts. There are plenty of other companies that get it right, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to do the same.
we're back to the what suits/bothers one person doesn't necessarily suit/bother another.
I suspect that it won't bother 95% plus of people - e.g. to me the SATA placement & uGuru are more important.
I haven't had a chance yet to look at all the P35 mobos from all the mfrs but I'm sure that I could find something on all of them that I don't like the placement of.

The location of the auxiliary power connector blows. :mad:

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. If I had to utilize that auxilliary, you'd catch me spitting enough nails to frame a house. It looks like it was bumped from the QuadGT position by the addition of the second Realtek LAN chip. In practice, though, you wouldn't find me running Crossfire using a x4 slot. Just too damned slow... like a peg-legged pirate sprint: Fast-slow, fast-slow, fast-slow... stuck in mud.

I've also run fairly high end dual gfx card setups without it though - if you have a decent PSU I don't think that it's really necessary (I'm also sure that abit would argue that they've put it close to where the power needs to be delivered if it is necessary).
& the people with the money/will to buy the really high end stuff like 2 X2900s I don't see running in an IP35 mobo due to the second X16 slot only running x4 electrically - they have the budget/will to run another chipset giving them at least dual x8 if not dual x16.

Given that the molex socket will be flush with the PCI-E socket though do you
1) see the need to use it if you were running the RAID card?
2) have any components on the backside of the card that would interfere with it if it was used & would the RAID card require it's use?

we're back to the what suits/bothers one person doesn't necessarily suit/bother another.
I suspect that it won't bother 95% plus of people - e.g. to me the SATA placement & uGuru are more important.
I haven't had a chance yet to look at all the P35 mobos from all the mfrs but I'm sure that I could find something on all of them that I don't like the placement of.

I wouldn't use a an x4 PCIe slot for Crossfire either. My Crossfire rig is built on a P5W DH with the i975x chipset. Additionally there is nothing on the back of the RAID card that would interefere with the molex connector. Though you never know until you try and install one on that board.

As far as placement of things on the motherboard, I'm picky as hell. You'll see in every review I've ever written I have at least one complaint about placement of items on a board. Some boards I have quite the list of them. If I were reviewing the board in question, I'd have only one or two complaints I'd imagine. Those would be at least the things that I've already mentioned. Additionally if I run into stuff I don't like while using a board, that gets mentioned as well.

Give me a piece of hardware and I can assure you that I will find something I don't like about it. I'm sure most people here would do the same.

even on the Abit site Product page for the IP35 PRO

Memory 4 X 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. memory capacity 8GB
Supports Dual channel DDR2 800/667/533 Un-buffered Non-ECC memory

??

Excellent Board if it overclocks like Asus P5K Deluxe, i will be all over this. The Price is damn nice.

Come on Asus be realistic with your price. $225 who is going to buy .

i think the P5K-E will be ASUS' entry around this price point.

feature-wise, the IP35 Pro and P5K-E will be quite comparable though the P5K-E only has one NIC compared with two for the ABIT.

the IP35 Pro's chipset heatsink system is a little fancier than the P5K-E's, but not by much. i think they're both copper.

now, which one to buy? the P5K-E isn't even available yet tho :(

Fry's has P5K-Es, I just saw a bunch today, $249. You have to compare the IP35 to the plain P5K, the E and Deluxe both cost more because of the built-in wifi. The plain P5K can be had for around $145.

I just bought a P5K Deluxe last night after ordering most of my stuff from NE. Had I seen this, I'd have thought about it for a moment, but the only thing on this mobo I like compared to the P5K is the LED status indicators. I like the black PCB on the deluxe and I like the extra USB ports replacing the PS/2 mouse port.

I'm definitely looking forward to a comparison of the overclocking abilities of these P35 boards. If this Abit can do what most of the Asus boards have been doing, it's a steal.

$249 for the P5K-E??

that's outrageous. how much is the Deluxe at Fry's?

Actually, I think it was $229 at Fry's (Manhattan Beach, CA store) when I was there on this past Saturday. The Deluxe was going for $299, if my memory is correct. Fry's is always more than online stores. Of course, I saw some retards looking at the board and getting all excited, so there are people stupid enough to buy without comparing prices online first.

These were the only P35 chipset boards on display. I was hoping to see at least the Gigabyte versions. I like to see them physically before purchasing (almost always online). The Asus boards look like Asus boards really. Nothing special.

I'm definitely looking forward to a comparison of the overclocking abilities of these P35 boards. If this Abit can do what most of the Asus boards have been doing, it's a steal.

I haven't tested the abit P35 boards yet, but hopefully they'll be at least as good as the AB9 Quad GT was. Prior to that it seemed abit was on a downward spiral that it might not have been able to recover from.

In the Sacramento Fry's, the P5K-E was $249 and the P5K Deluxe was $259. I don't get the pricing either, I saw the E first and thought "oh, 249 isn't bad", then realized it wasn't the deluxe.

I haven't tested the abit P35 boards yet, but hopefully they'll be at least as good as the AB9 Quad GT was. Prior to that it seemed abit was on a downward spiral that it might not have been able to recover from.

I went ahead and ordered the IP35 Pro today, it should be here next week, because I too am quite interested to see if abit got lucky with the QuadGT or if they are really 'back'. And if it sucks eggs, I've still got my ever-faithful QuadGT to tide me until X38's (and Nvidia's latest a tad later, if what I here is correct) fall like manna from heaven upon the enthusiast community. So whether they were lucky or they're truly back, it promises to be interesting!

Anyone know if the ip35pro has the blue led's on the back side of the board like the quad gt?

1st user report says that it appears not to have (but maybe the default is off & he hasn't found it yet).
On the other hand the shipping BIOS appears solid & the multi for his X6800 is unlocked.
DRAM voltage runs 1.8V-3.0V & iirc Vcore upto ~2.0V.
He hasn't had a chance to try overclocking yet but it's completely stable at stock.

Looking forward to some reviews on this Abit board...

I'm about ready to lay down for the QuadGT...but the P35 looks good and probably worth the wait.

I think I've written ASUS OFF...so many pissed off people with their support. Too bad, I have an OLD A7V with a AMD TBird that still works flawlessly.

Anyone deal with Abit's support?

In the Sacramento Fry's, the P5K-E was $249 and the P5K Deluxe was $259. I don't get the pricing either, I saw the E first and thought "oh, 249 isn't bad", then realized it wasn't the deluxe.

mmm, yeah. I was just there, in fact, Fry's has had it in for quite some time, the p5k-e, whatta rip, I doubt another video card would even fit with that monsterous SB finned hs. My x1900 barely makes it in there w/the lowpro copper hP. Once I get the balls to settle down w/my single channel memory set-up and see that the p5k-dlx 1.0 is solid and isn't gonna crap out vs. the v2.0 or something which would give me the chance to rma for a 2.0, I'll take it back to Fry's after I buy one from them to get my 3rd and 4th slot dimm functioning again eh, easy rma process; at first it was just thee third, blast I didn't need it anyway but now I'm rerouting my heatsink fan cause I gotta use my first slot (is 7400 sandra score good for memory running at 1250 5-5-4-11), which is not ok, 5c diff. and the other not ok is my jmicron doesn't detect my ata drive that I need to get my shizhnits from. But it squeals anyway and I have ten other computers around me in the next 50 foot radius. Claps for the p5k-dlx all around dou

Abit supports, always has and prob. always will be GOOD upon GOOD. Had a kr7a-raid that fried way back when I tried to put a vga cooler on the nB w/too much arctic. Sent it back fanless and they gave me a new one in less than a few days, didn't clock so well but they were great at holding up a bargain...no receipt either

Anyone deal with Abit's support?
In the UK at least they are excellent.
I get the feeling that in the US it maybe isn't quite as good but still probably way ahead of the aforementioned competitor.
They'll even RMA a mobo with physical damage for a $25 fee - most others would say tough, buy another.

They've got imo the best forum of any of the mfrs (disclosure - I'm a Mod there so I may be a little biased ;) ) albeit it's user-to-user rather than abit emplyees but it's good enough help for probably 90%+ of people who don't have an actual hardware fault but a configuration problem plus we can usually help to trace a hardware fault (often not the mobo).

1st user report says that it appears not to have (but maybe the default is off & he hasn't found it yet).
On the other hand the shipping BIOS appears solid & the multi for his X6800 is unlocked.
DRAM voltage runs 1.8V-3.0V & iirc Vcore upto ~2.0V.
He hasn't had a chance to try overclocking yet but it's completely stable at stock.

I am that guy:)

Everything Buff said is 100% accurate. It doesn't appear that it has any blue lights, but I haven't looked too deep yet. Other things to add, though. If you plan on removing the heatpipe and adding in your own cooling to the north/southbridge, be advised that there is very little room to add any type of active cooling to the southbridge. I usually add a Jetart copper chipset cooler (I did on the IN9 Max and AN8 32X without issue), but was unable to on this board. The holes line up just fine, but the cmos battery and a cap are in the way. I simply used some 3m thermal tape and stuck a low-profile passive copper heatsink on it and haven't had a single stability issue. The northbridge is normal, used a Swiftech MCX-159cu on it without any clearance issues.

Shawn

anyone see any reviews on this board yet?

Not a review, but a decent pic and specs. Don't miss Maik's post on Page 4. My German is rusty, does that say Vcore goes to 1.9v?

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?t=359332

"Einstellmöglichkeiten Bios & UGuru:
- VCore = CPU default – 1.90v in 0.01v Stufen
- MCH = 1.25v – 1.56v in 0.04v Stufen /1.56v-1.72v in 0.08v Stufen
- CPU VTT = 1.20v / 1.23v
- ICH = 1.05v – 1.19v in 0.04v Stufen
- DDR2 = 1.800v – 3.000v in 0.025v Stufen
- DDR2 REF = +2% / 0% / -2% / -4%
- ICHO = 1.50v – 1.70v in 0.05v Stufen / 1.70v – 2.00v in 0.10v Stufen
- CPU GTL REF 1+3 = 45% - 80% in 1% Stufen
- CPU GTL REF 0+2 = 45% - 80% in 1% Stufen
- FSB = 133Mhz - 600Mhz in 1Mhz Stufen
- PCIE Clk = 100Mhz – 200Mhz in 1Mhz Stufen

Einstellmöglichkeiten nur Bios:
- RAM Teiler = 1:1.00 / 1:1.20 / 1: 1.25 / 1: 1.50 / 1:1.66 / 1:2.00

- RAM Timings:
- tCL = 4-6
- tRCD = 3-10
- tRP = 3-10
- tRAS = 9-24

Die Sub-Timings sind ebenfalls manuell einstellbar!"

Thought that Vcore went to 1.85V?
However, apparently North American & European mobos are on different shipping BIOS so there may be small variations.

I ordered Mines on Friday with Rush Processing & Overnight Delivery. I ordered all my parts for my new system all in one shot so it was worth the extra shipping cost once I saw the overall price of everything lol. I'm guessing there is a high demand for the board though because I have not left Step 1 of the Newegg process yet =). Hopefully it goes through & processed by Monday so I can get it on Tuesday.

Oooo my new GTS is an A3 as well. I haven't gotten around to overclocking it yet, but this is very nice!

They've got imo the best forum of any of the mfrs (disclosure - I'm a Mod there so I may be a little biased ;) ) albeit it's user-to-user rather than abit emplyees but it's good enough help for probably 90%+ of people who don't have an actual hardware fault but a configuration problem plus we can usually help to trace a hardware fault (often not the mobo).

Buff,

What is the URL for the Forum? I looked at the US one but it has very few postings. I have almost decided to ditch the MSI P6N 650i Platinum for the Abit P35 Pro. Unfortunately, the manual is not yet downloadable from the ABIT site. Do you know if the internal S/PDIF header carries the same audio information as the rear panel optical output?

Cheers!

Back