ABIT IC7-MAX3, 3GHz Northwood temperatures, voltages, problems etc...

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
ABIT IC7-MAX3 (BIOS 13 flashed to 17 using flashmenu)
P4 3GHz Northwood
XP-120 cooling + Panaflo 120mm M
1024MB XMS4000
Enermax 550W
Seagate 200GB SATA
PCI Video

Having a few problems with this configuration, setup the MB with BIOS 13, basic XP SP 0 installation, nothing else.

1st problem the HD is recognised upto 132GB, my guess XP will see this after a SP1/2.

2nd problem is the temperature, the panaflo is running at minimum PWM voltage but the CPU temperature is around 46C with a 29C ambient at stock settings. Looking at review sites using the IC7 MB with XP120 + low speed fan, temperatures should be approx 35C. I know abit boards tend to have higher temp?

3rd problem is the 12v rail which sits at 11.80v as viewed in MB monitor, the PSU is brandnew and the previous system sat at 12.05v even with a 6800GT installed. My guess its probably the PCI video which is probably abit dodgy.

4th problem no rpm signal on the panaflo at any voltage.

kleo

Forgot to mention, using Artic Silver Ceramique thermal compound.

I have watercooling and I am around 35C. I think 45 for you is good....make sure that you stay under 53ish under load. When I had thestock cooler on my proc i was going up to 60C..that was scary.

There has been ample testing to show that the IC7 reports temps 11c higher than actual when idle and 7c higher than actual under load.

Second, what are you using to view these rails. If you aren't using a multimeter chances are those readings are way off anyways.

Killaapp said:
There has been ample testing to show that the IC7 reports temps 11c higher than actual when idle and 7c higher than actual under load.

Second, what are you using to view these rails. If you aren't using a multimeter chances are those readings are way off anyways.

This was actually fixed around bios 14-15 ish.

I've got the ic7-g and the 3.0c also
Mine's also reading 11.8v on the 12v rail... i wouldnt worry about it.
My temps are quite a bit higher than yours and i'm not having any problems [email protected]

Update, now using my 6800GT @ ULTRA speeds, 12v is better but dips to 11.80 (average 11.94v in MBM) at maximum load during benchmarking. GPU Temp is around 68C but the CPU is still quite hign. I removed the HSF and polished it using braso, reinstalled with AS ceramique paste so the installation is definetly fine. CPU temp hit 58C and PWM 38C (30C ambient) at maximum load after running 3dmark 01-->05, didnt crash and absolutly stable and memtest clean. Note that ive removed the OTES. Ran DOOM 3 several times now gona try DEUS EX 2 for performance.

I know the CPU I was given has hit 3.8-3.9GHz on water, will I be able to hit 3.6-3.7GHz? upto 250MHz FSB.

Suggestions?

Scores

5050 3dmark 2005
12k 3dmark 2003
19k 3dmark 2001
5050 3dmark 2005
62k AQUAMARK

My abit EQ is reading 12.10 for me, MBM5 reads everything the same as EQ on my computer, my idle is at 47ish and my load is about 58-60, which isn't bad for a prescott if the ic7 does read hotter.

Mysogonist said:
This was actually fixed around bios 14-15 ish.

Wrong. No BIOS has changed the indicated CPU temps, regardless of what was written in the BIOS readme. I've upgraded to all official BIOSes for my IC7, so I know.

The 45 C idle CPU temp is perfectly normal on an IC7. Load temps above 60 C are also normal. I've used about six NW chips with six different heatsinks (including the XP 120 that you use), so I know that too.

kleox64 said:
3rd problem is the 12v rail which sits at 11.80v as viewed in MB monitor, the PSU is brandnew and the previous system sat at 12.05v even with a 6800GT installed. My guess its probably the PCI video which is probably abit dodgy.

That's no problem either. IC7s generally measure lower than actual voltages.

Overall, I'd say just test the comp for stability. If it works, forget about the diagnosis mania.

OK thanks people, idle temp seems lower today around 45C with the fan at the lowest voltage my fan controller can do. Damn the 6800gt is all I can hear now, i was recomended the artic silencer as it gives lower temps with lower noise (lower pitch sound). The voltages are fine, 5v just doesnt change at all while the 12v touches 11.86 under max load. I tried 3.4GHz without a hassle HL2 and DOOM3 ran fine but ill stay at 3.0GHz untill I cut some heatsinks for the fets. I have a copper base aluminium akasa xeon HS and an all aluminium HS, will there be much difference between them considering there 4-5cms tall.

A question about my RAM, ive left the BIOS to SPD and I get the 3-3-3-8 timings however I was under the impression that the xms4000 DIMMS had 3-4-4-8 default SPD timmings.
For STABLE 500MHz speed will I have to adjust the timings and increase the DDR voltage to 2.75 (currently 2.6v) as listed in the corsair pdf?

Mine's set for spd also, but put my ram as 2.5-2-2-5 instead of 2225, so i just went in and changed it to 2225 and it's stable at default voltage.

Back