ABIT Fatal1ty Motherboard Review at [H]

When a company starts to hurt for cash, marketing rules over engineering (even more that usual). I am not greatly susprised and actually wonder when other companies will start to employ 21st century marketing. I hope this target marketing works for them and they sell a boat load or two to gamers and can then get back to engineering good boards. Most geeks are gamers but most gamers are not geeks. Much to my regret I think I may have a copy of Abits "last great board" .

I apprecate the honesty of this site and its why I have been coming here since almost day one but I do not praise you for it, I expect it. Howvever the fairly recent tendency to express glowing praise followed by minor comments about a specific flaw or two fails my contunity check when I read the articles. I have almost begun to ignore the first sentance of every paragraph. Example

"ABIT yet again astounds me with the amount of thought and design time that went in to creating this masterpiece. However, there are a few problem areas on the board."

Masterpiece ? /shrug

Other things I would have liked to see.

It may be fully functional here but the uguru software in my experience has been buggy, non functional and a memory hog. Testing and comments in those areas would have been welcome. The generic rehash of its advertised featurs and options is useless if it does not work as advertised. If the OTES fans fail (as they certainly will sooner or later) is the normal bios overtemp shutdown sufficient or will the components cook under their cute plastic "heat traps" without warning unless the uguru software is resident im memory ?

Was there any thermal paste/TIM under any of those MOSFET heatsinks ? Was it properly applied ? The chipset heatsinks ? the northbridge fan looks much more robust that the prone to failure ones on eariler models but is it a standard size that can be easliy replaces ? Did any of these heatsinks get hot during overclocking ?

In summary, more geekness please. :)

Ohh and major congratualtions on the Phantom thing, nice to see the good guys win for a change, I hope to God that they had to pay all your attorney fees.

Excuse the spelling, engineer at work.

Back