Abit AW8, Uguru, and Vista

Phandalyon

Hello all. Issues with my motherboard today.

Start with system specs:
Abit AW8
Intel P4 D 3.2
2GB Corsair DDR2 800
ATI FireMV 2200
Antec Smartpower 500 Modular PSU
Windows Vista Business 64

Idle Temps ~40C with Intel Stock cooling setup.

OK. Now onto the issues.

Under XP everything ran fine. No problems at all.

Installed Vista. At first I did not bother with the uGuru software. The uGuru device showed up with problems in the device manager but I ignored it and left the yellow exclamation point on it.

When the computer ran under load I would get warning sirens for overheating. Under XP it would never overheat and temps were good, even under full load on both CPU cores.

So I decided that if I got the uGuru software working I could see the loaded temps and figure out why the alarm was going off. I installed the latest Vista Compatible uGuru utility from Abit and the latest driver for the uGuru device.

Right after I did this the uGuru device started loading. Unfortunately the computer will not randomly bluescreen and freeze. The temperature alarm will start about 10 seconds after the bluescreen appears. It will not stop until I reset the computer. Upon resetting I can check in the BIOS and temps are ~48C.

Unfortunately even though the device manager reports everything working now for the uGuru utility when I open the utility it does not display any information. This is no different than before I did the driver update.

At this point I decided I wanted to just remove or disable uGuru. I tried uninstalling the application and it goes through the motions but the program never leaves the installed programs list and it continues to work even after an uninstall and reboot. So I tried to disable the uGuru Device in the Device Manager. Unfortunately disable is not an option when I right click.

At this point I decided to try to uninstall the uGuru device. I right clicked and uninstalled and checked the box to remove drivers from system and then I restarted.

The system restarted and redetected and installed the uGuru device and prompted me to restart again.

Upon restarting again the system gave me and error that the uGuru device is unsigned and windows is unable to start. Vista instructed me that I needed to run a repair off of the Vista CD. I did so.

After about 5 minutes of repair I restarted and it went into Windows again.

The uGuru device is still there with no errors and the uGuru software is still installed.

Unfortunately I am back to the bluescreens.

Also unfortunately, the bluescreen is jumbled and barely readable. I can maye out partial letters along the top of the screen that are similar to:
DRTVRQL_LESSFOUA

When I restart from the bluescreen I get a windows shut down unexpectedly error with a BCCode of D1.

So that is where I am at right now. I have asked about this on the Abit forum. But unfortunately once again right after I asked the Abit website died and has not been back since. So if anyone has any ideas for either repairing or disabling the uGuru device and software I would appreciate it.

Thanks

which version of uGuru did you load?
3.101 has a known installer problem if a previous version has been installed - not sure about 3.103.

also, the high low alarm can be fro fan rpm or voltage as well as temp.

It is the 3.103 version.

That is true about the fan noise. The odd thing to me is that it never happened when I had XP installed, even during burn in. But with Vista on there it started happening when under load the first day I installed it. Fortunately it is more of an annoyance than anything. I may do some experimenting with BIOS settings to see where the problem is coming from.

The Abit forum is back up now and someone has mentioned disabling DEP to get it working. I think I may try that and see what happens.

I will keep trying.

Have you tried system restore, just gone back to before you installed uGuru? It works much better in Vista than XP, faster, too.

I am puzzled, how did you get C2D to work with this motherboard ?

That was my bad. Its a Pentium 4 D 3.2.

I have built a ton of C2D systems lately and forgot that mine was just a hair too old.

Anyway, I finally went back to basics and decided to troubleshoot temps and stuff and it seems that the chipset might be overheating. I removed the side of the case and it has not bluescreened since. It seems the whole uGuru thing might just be a complete coicidence. I have a new case fan ordered to test my theory, but it seems to be exactly what it was. Thanks for the help though guys.

Back