ABIT AN8-SLI, AN8 and AN8-ULTRA...how are they?

LiquidX

2[H]4U
I have never had a Abit board and was wondering the quailty of these boards. How are they and if you have any of the ones I mentioned can you please tell me your experience?!

ABIT AN8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127197

ABIT AN8-ULTRA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127212

ABIT AN8-SLI (I dont plan on going SLI but it is only $10 more than the ultra which I was considering)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207

Thoughts from anyone please. :cool:

i got the plain AN8, and absolutely love it. Its fast, has lots of features and BIOS option, very stable, and most importantly, can overclock decently.

ABIT has also released a new bios (which is as simple as clicking "update bios" in ABIT's automatic flashing program) which supports Rev. E and X2 processors and adds 1/2 multipliers for HTT

I get around 4K in 3Dmark05 with the system in sig

I've been looking at the AN8-Ultra for some time, the passive cooling looks just right for me. Would love to hear more opinions.

arman01 said:
i got the plain AN8, and absolutely love it. Its fast, has lots of features and BIOS option, very stable, and most importantly, can overclock decently.

ABIT has also released a new bios (which is as simple as clicking "update bios" in ABIT's automatic flashing program) which supports Rev. E and X2 processors and adds 1/2 multipliers for HTT

ThanksI was looking at that one. Anything negative at all about it? How about the fans, it has 3, are they loud?

Anyone else?

arman01 said:

sorry but i'm curious too about these boards.
so how loud are those "otes" fans that go in the I/O shield...assuming that you use them?

the OTES fans do kick in when gaming, and are fairly loud...but in the Abit uGuru utility you can change the CPU, N/B, OTES1 and OTES2 fan modes to "quiet"...and instantly, the OTES fans shut off, and hardly ever come on....

Keeping in mind that i have NO system fans whatsoever, the temps. of the N/B and CPU are always at a good range, even when every fan option is set to "quiet"

About the board...hmm
From my past experience, i know that it doesnt like having ram in non-dual channel config, as in, its not as stable (that is, either 1 stick or 3 sticks or 2 sticks in the wrong slots)...but that could be just my board, as ive given it quite a beating trying to fit it into my P.O.S case. Right now i have 2x512 DDR400 and everything works sweet

Thats about all the negatives i can think of...but this has definitely beeen the best board ive ever owned

I have the AN8 SLI and would also like to know other's experiences with this board. It has worked great for me. Abit went a little over board with the RED LEDs though. There are red LEDs around the heatpipe fins and two more on the sound card. I would like the sound card ones to go away. The northbridge heatpipe dealy is nice and unique. I am currently using Crucial Ballistix and am forced to 2T at anything around 230 fsb and above. I have reached 250fsb with little effort and topped out at 253fsb. I am sure that changing timmings would yeild a better OC. I was at 250fsb 1T easy with two stock Crucial 256mb DDR333 modules but not so with the Ballistix DDR500. Maybe because they are 512mb sticks instead of 256mb sticks. I am using only one video card and it is a x800xl. I have not tried the SLI support. The board looks great and is stable.

4x chipset....i dont quite know what you mean

but its the "plain" nForce 4 (For the "plain" AN8)

Back