Abit AI7 Raid Set up help please

RipperMac

Limp Gawd
AI7 RAID Setup help please

I have been trying for 2 days to set this up and I'm out of ideas...I searched and followed as many guides as possible but still end up with the same problem..all help will be appreciated

I have 2 160gig SATA drives connected to the SATA ports on the m/b..and I have my CD ROM set at Master connected to IDE 2..

BIOS is set as follows:
ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES

Hard Disk Boot Priorty- 1. Bootable Add-In Device

-Bootable Add-in Device- OnChip SATA RAID

First Boot Device- Floppy
Second Boot Device- CDROM
Third Boot Device- Hard Disk
Boot Other Device- Enabled

Intergrated Peripherals

IDE Bus Master- Enabled
OnChip IDE1 Controll- Enabled
OnChip IDE2 Controll- Enabled

OnChip Serial ATA Settings
OnChip Serial ATA Mode- RAID
SATA RAID ROM- Enabled
*Greyed Out*
OnChip Serial ATA- Enhanced Mode
Serial ATA1 Mode- IDE3 Master
Serial ATA2 Mode- IDE4 Master

Reboot and CTRL I and setup RAID Volume1
Status Normal Bootable Yes

Boot From CD and F6
Selected Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller for XP & 2000
Installs Fine

Continue into XP setup sees Drives as one Disk Partioned 314 Gigs
Continue and full format
Installs all files and then prompts to remove floppy and reboot!!!

Now the problem!!!
Puter reboots but goes right back to a new XP setup again!!! I mean the whole setup again!!! It's driving me crazy!!! Tried changing boot sequence to Hard Drive then CDROM but I get a HD insert system disk and if I leave CDROM in of course the install starts all over again...I know the files are being copied because XP asks to delete Windows folder the next install try......What am I doing wrong!!!!!!!!
:confused: :confused:
Please help!!!!

RipperMac said:
Hard Disk Boot Priorty- 1. Bootable Add-In Device

-Bootable Add-in Device- OnChip SATA RAID

Try swapping the order of these two. I'm pretty sure thats your problem. Also, make sure you remove the CD-ROM from your drive after setup is completely because as you mentioned, setup will continunally restart.

Everything else looks fine and you've done everything that I would, and everything appears to be working based on that fact that you can see the array and you can format / install Windows XP on it.

You may want to change the SATA setting from "Enhanced" to AUTO.

As a side note, I just dropped a 74gig Raptor in my machine today and reinstalled Windows XP without a problem on my AI7. I'm using the newest BIOS, version 17 (or 1.7).

No go on everything I have tried...I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong...I'm really on the verge of saying to hell with it... :mad: :mad:

Man, thats really strange because I still think everything is working properly with the RAID if you can load windows on it. You can try clearing the CMOS and starting again to see if that works. That may blow away your RAID configuration, but that shouldn't matter if you haven't been able to use it. That might be worth a shot.

Don't know what happened...but I hooked my IDE drive and rebooted set my BIOS to defaults went into XP...everything acting screwy in XP so I went back into BIOS and set up everything for RAID again...rebooted and Voila..my XP install from earlier finishes up and now my array is working!!! Have no idea what I did different than the last 50 times I tried...but it's working....only problem is I still have my IDE drive hooked into IDE1 and I'm scared to unhook since I'm not sure what the heck will happen this time around!!!! :rolleyes:

Back