Abit AI7 owners give me o'ced results pls?

henesseynalert

Limp Gawd
I'm planning on getting this mobo in replacement of my dead beat P4C800-E that died before i could even mod it..Any infos bout the Vcore on the AI7 while being loaded, how much droop it makes while getting dual primed....I would greatly appreciate it if someone would care to give me some results, benchmarks etc. Been reading a lot of reviews lately bout the AI7 including kyle's review here at [H] and i'm very impressed with the Vdimm max out at 3.2V and the Uguru chip that let me oced from windows and i dont have to solder anything on the board....

Any Pro's and Con's bout this mobo would really help me make my decision on purchasing it without a doubt and pls give me some max oced with this mobo, would like to know also how it does when getting pushed to it's very limits....

Thanks In Advance,
Henessey

see my sig for my results.

voltage droop? There isn't any. My vcore boots at 1.67v, gets into windows at 1.67v, and does heavy gaming/priming/folding whatever else at 1.67v. Same with memory and agp/nb voltage. They're all rock solid if you have a good powersupply.

It's very stable and has lots of o/c features. The uGuru is ok, I think the fan monitor (Fan EQ) is probably the most useful thing in that uGuru stuff. The clock changing in windows is kind of a gimmick IMO. I don't use it, I still prefer the reboot/change bios method. It works, and works well, but I just don't use it.

I'll post some bench's of mine for you this evening when I get home from work.

I agree entirely with the points made by nst6563. I found that if you piddle with uguru in windows, it sometimes flakes out and doesn't know what it's doing. Then you will need to clear the Cmos to get things back to normal. I have since went back to using the bios for overclocking and have been very happy with the board.

See sig for results.

Here's a quick screen shot of what I ran at lunch. didn't have much time for anything else but some Sandra junk.
screenshot

I'll run a 3dmark01/03 for you this evening when I have more time.

:EDIT:
I tried running a 3dmark for you but for whatever reason it won't run 3dmark all the way through now at 270fsb. Weird. I ran it before, and I've gamed all night at 270fsb before with no glitches. but whatever, It runs fine at 260fsb. 3dmark01 got almost 17k on it. didn't try to run '03 yet b/c I'm not a big fan of the 3dmark benches.

I heard the AI7 is a bit picky with ram, Is this true? Coz im aiming at some 1:1 action......BTW nst, thanks for the screenshot and the info's they are very helpful. :D

T.I.A
henessey

Not sure about it being picky for ram. I know that my Geil ram works great in it. it would run (previously anyway...I think maybe my cpu is crapping out or something...maybe psu b/c the 12 line has dropped to 11.5 instead of the steady 12 it usually is) at 270fsb in my system. However, I couldn't boot with GAT or N/B strap 667.

However, I've also run some generic ram in there (not nearly at the speeds my Geil did though) and some Infineon modules without any problem. All dual channel too. I've also ran the Geil and Infineon at the same time w/o problems. All the ram I've put in worked fine. I know there are people on xtremesystems.org that are running everything from Kingston, Mushkin, Corsair, and even Adata and Buffalo in their AI7's.

n/p. If you want some more screenies let me know. I currently have it running at 260 1:1 @ 1.52v. I might try a new powersupply to see if it goes back to 270 (although, honestly the only place I see a difference in speed is the benchmarks)

I have a AI7 also and i have it stable with a 2.8c @ 3.5 and 1.6v and i am using 512 pc 4000 kingston hyper x. I never tried higher ethier also

My AI7 and crappy OCing [email protected] ( 250 fsb ) boot fine at 1.6v. I cant get turbo mode or street racing mode to work with my ram, but whatever. I leave it on AAADD but i only get 5,600 in sandra 1:1 250fsb = (

I run a Epox4PDA+2 Ver.2 . V-core to 1.850, V-dimm the highest without mods, 2.5 to 3.3 volts. Agp to 2.2 volts. I run my 2.4C at 269 fsb for a speed of 3229 my mem is set on the 5:4 divider for a DDR of 430 my timings are set at 2-2-2-5. There are alot of machines out there running at 250 fsb and over set at 1:1 for a DDR of 500 and higher,but not that many beat my sandra score and the ones that do, don't by much. the Epox board just seems to get along with memory. Here is a screenie.
121.jpg
This machine has never had so much as a tiny hiccup of any kind. Smooth as silk day in and day out!!

The text in your pic is so distorted it's hard to tell what ANYTHING is in that pic.
If your score is 5800 something, then I suppose that is a very good score for ddr430. I get 5900 on my AI7 1:1 270fsb but the timings are 2.5-4-4-7 (no BH-5 goodness here.. :( )

Looks like a nice board though...makes me want to get one and play :p

I need a new vid card before that though I think....

yes you can hit download tab then bring it up on your system to enlarge it. check it out then toss it. I too want to play. This was my first ever non ABIT board and I really like it. I am going to start another mod and I'm going to get an AI7 to play with!! I want to try the IC-7 Max3 also The lessor of the two will be sold. I want to try some modern ram also.

WZ

I'd like to see just how the AI7 and that Epox board fair against each other in games and stuff. Seeing those kinds of numbers almost makes me want to sell my AI7 and get the Epox instead :p

Me too this is why i want an Abit AI7 pull this board out and give the Abit a try with all the same parts. Not a one of my friends with a Canterwood board and the one other with a Springdale board. Can match my mem scores on pc mark or my overall cpu score on Aquamark when they run theirs at 3200 Some of them can't touch my scores when they run at 3500. They have to divide down below me to a lower DDR speed to run. So for what I've got I am real pleased. What I need now is to get a raid0 array on this system. I am using an old 40 gig hdd now and it is a dog. Here is a screenie of my pc mark score running at 3201mhz
PCmark_02__WZ_2.jpg

that is DDR 426.6 officially. Terrific mem score for that speed

WZ

you're making me want that board... :D

I wonder what the scores would be with my 2.8c that'll run 270fsb with my ram @ 1:1

I see it on Newegg for $108....hmmm....gonna have to sell some stuff....

I only get 5,600/5,600 on my memory score in sandra on my AI7, is that normal? I have GAT on AAADD and my timings are 2.5-4-4-8 250mhz FSB 1:1

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I only get 5,600/5,600 on my memory score in sandra on my AI7, is that normal? I have GAT on AAADD and my timings are 2.5-4-4-8 250mhz FSB 1:1

don't get your hopes up. My sandra score was 5900-6000 at 270fsb 1:1 2.5-4-4-7 GAT=A-A-A-D-D. With those loose timings at that fsb that's about what you're going to get.

See Sig...
anyone know how to enable PAT (in this case GAT) on the AI7? i've been researching and only to be confused.. seems to me that it would be enabled on CAS 2.0 only and 1:1 only?

my setup is new and i'm still tweaking... no post when i go to FSB 280. i think it's the simpletech memory...

chewy2314 said:
See Sig...
anyone know how to enable PAT (in this case GAT) on the AI7? i've been researching and only to be confused.. seems to me that it would be enabled on CAS 2.0 only and 1:1 only?

my setup is new and i'm still tweaking... no post when i go to FSB 280. i think it's the simpletech memory...

you are partially correct on that. PAT can be enabled on the AI7 in the following ways:

set N/B strap to 667 (enables PAT at 1:1 regardless of GAT settings) and run DDR Ratio @ 1:1 (anything else will disable PAT. Partial PAT can be enabled with GAT)

Run RAM @ 1:1, N/Bstrap by CPU, and GAT = Turbo (with bios 17 enabling GAT with ram @ 1:1 seems to enable PAT regardless of the n/b strap).

If you are runnnig your RAM at a 5:4 or 3:2 ratio, you can run with partial PAT through the GAT settings. So (on my system anyway), if there is a difference of 400 points in Sandra between No PAT and PAT, then with partial PAT you can get 200 points difference (this is on my system with GAT = T-A-N-D-D).

For my ram, I can only enable GAT if my Cas=2. If you are running Cas 2.5, you can still enable PAT by using the N/Bstrap 667.

It is a bit confusing, and I'm sure all systems are different. So you may just want to mess around and see what your ram can take. But the above N/Bstrap, ratio, and GAT combinations do hold true for most all AI7's.

nst6563 said:
you are partially correct on that. PAT can be enabled on the AI7 in the following ways:

<snip>

Thanks! i'll test some more... then it is safe to say that Memtest+ does not show "partial PAT"? At one point, i was using 5:4 ratio and GAT=TAAAA thinking it would enable PAT, but Memtest+ showed disabled.

chewy2314 said:
Thanks! i'll test some more... then it is safe to say that Memtest+ does not show "partial PAT"? At one point, i was using 5:4 ratio and GAT=TAAAA thinking it would enable PAT, but Memtest+ showed disabled.

Memtest won't show partial pat, but it will partially be enabled through the GAT settings. About the only way to see this is through Sandra and some benchmarks.

Can anyone explain to me what the N/B Strap setting do for tha AI7?
I just got this mobo over a MSI PT880, and i can tell that the difference is big in every way, i should had never got out of ABIT in first place :)

I had no room for OC in the PT880, 210FSB best.
Now i'm at 250 right out of the box MEMO set at 5:4 since i only have a Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 ram and it doesn't like to be overclocked.

I have a stock Vcore and fixed AGP/PCI.

I didn't mess with GAT and N/B Strap.
I'm having nice scores in RAM compared with you guys, since i'm at 5:4 and i'm having 5380/5400 scores in sandra in 250FSB.

My system specs right now.

P4 2.6C @ 3.265 Vcore stock
512 (256 X2) Kingston DDR400 @ 2,5-3-3-8 (400) 5:4
Samsung 80GB 7200RPM
ABIT AI7
Radeon 9500->9700 PRO+

well, the N/B strap besically sets the northbridge up for a different cpu than what is in there. It's just another way to get PAT enabled on the 865 chipset. at 533/667 fsb the 865 chipset enables PAT automatically apparently. This only happens when the ram is running at 1:1 with the fsb though. any other ratio PAT will be disabled.

your scores are about right for your setup.

Right now I'm running 262fsb w/ram @ 5:4 (added 2 more sticks of Infineon crap that won't do 1:1@262fsb like my geil) timings are 2.5-6-3-3, GAT=A-A-A-D-D, N/Bstrap=CPU and I get a sandra score of 5600. PAT is disabled at this point. If I could enable it, I could probably get almost 6000 since it seems on my system that if I enable PAT I get about a 400point increase in Sandra scores.

have you tried to see how high you can get your ram @ 1:1? after all, you do have up to 3.2v vdimm to play with :)

nst6563 said:
well, the N/B strap besically sets the northbridge up for a different cpu than what is in there. It's just another way to get PAT enabled on the 865 chipset. at 533/667 fsb the 865 chipset enables PAT automatically apparently. This only happens when the ram is running at 1:1 with the fsb though. any other ratio PAT will be disabled.

your scores are about right for your setup.

Right now I'm running 262fsb w/ram @ 5:4 (added 2 more sticks of Infineon crap that won't do 1:1@262fsb like my geil) timings are 2.5-6-3-3, GAT=A-A-A-D-D, N/Bstrap=CPU and I get a sandra score of 5600. PAT is disabled at this point. If I could enable it, I could probably get almost 6000 since it seems on my system that if I enable PAT I get about a 400point increase in Sandra scores.

have you tried to see how high you can get your ram @ 1:1? after all, you do have up to 3.2v vdimm to play with :)

Now I've seen many posts about using VDimm around the 2.8V range... how does one know how far the mem can go? right now i have the simpletech's (default at 2.6V) @ 2.7V just for good measure.. but according to the thermistor stuck in the gap in the center of the Dimm, i get around 49C.

It really depends on the manufacturer of the chip. the Geil ram I have is ok up to 3.1v according to Geil's website. As long as I'm within that 2.5-3.1v range, warranty is still valid (although I've gone 3.2v to see if I could tighten timings). The infineon ram I just installed is only rated for a max of 2.8v, however, I'm running them at 3.0v with my Geil to tighten the timings slightly.

However, if you can see the chips on your ram (not covered by a heatspreader) then look their data sheets up on the internet and see what their max voltage is. I've seen people on xtremesystems running their ram at almost 4v daily for over a year w/o incident.

nst6563 said:
It really depends on the manufacturer of the chip. the Geil ram I have is ok up to 3.1v according to Geil's website. As long as I'm within that 2.5-3.1v range, warranty is still valid (although I've gone 3.2v to see if I could tighten timings). The infineon ram I just installed is only rated for a max of 2.8v, however, I'm running them at 3.0v with my Geil to tighten the timings slightly.

However, if you can see the chips on your ram (not covered by a heatspreader) then look their data sheets up on the internet and see what their max voltage is. I've seen people on xtremesystems running their ram at almost 4v daily for over a year w/o incident.

JojakPot did show the chip for their DDR500 version.. but one must register with simpletech to request spec data sheets... guess i should have bought those last batch of BH5 when i had the chance!
I'll stay here at this point before getting new RAM... did pre-order Doom3 though! :D

I cant get GAT to work on my AI7 :( I just leave it on AAADD, nothing else works. :( I have 4x256mb single sided pc4000 (nitro and adata) running 250 fsb 1:1...any tips?

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I cant get GAT to work on my AI7 :( I just leave it on AAADD, nothing else works. :( I have 4x256mb single sided pc4000 (nitro and adata) running 250 fsb 1:1...any tips?

From my research, i think GAT is not enabled on 4 sticks of RAM on the AI7.
correct me if i'm wrong.

also, you'll need to use TAADD or SR-AADD or F1-AADD to get GAT to work.

Circuitbreaker8 said:

your ram may not be able to handle GAT. Have you tried setting the n/bstrap to 667 since your running your ram @ 1:1??? This will at least enable PAT, after which ANY GAT settings are pretty much negligable and would go un-noticed.

:EDIT: What Cas are you running? On my AI7, GAT won't work unless my CAS=2

Back