AAHHH!!!! Broken pin on my 3400, the 2.86Ghz one!!

2Fresh

2[H]4U
Rig is going though repairs, so I have this Thermaltke HSF that I puto n the chip till the Promie is back to me...I crushed one of the pins and it broke off, I about shit. Is there any possible way in the world to get this fixt? Even though I went 939, I still want to keep the chip for rig #2.

Ouch dude.. just ouch. I don't know of any way to fix a broken pin....

*plays funeral music*

RMA?

If it's a power or ground pin, the CPU can live without it. Might try checking AMD's tech docs to find out what that pin did.

If all else fails, try here. I can vouch for his mobo repair skills (and he's not far from you).

rma or just buy another one and return the broken one for the new one lol thats what I would do

Shane said:
rma or just buy another one and return the broken one for the new one lol thats what I would do

NO. NO. NO.

This is an example of user error. You need to be held accountable for your actions.

The best you can do is lookup the pin and see if its unessential. I wouldn't try the processor in a board until you determine what the pin did. You don''t want to messup a socket as well.

Shane said:
We all lose when people do that... screwin' with the system is never good.

is'nt the pin just basicly a metal connector? wouldnt any kind of conductive object do the same thing?

dariob said:
You'd have to be DAMN talented to solder a pin back onto a CPU.
or you can stick a very short wire inside the hole and hope they connect... this method does work, but is a pain in the ass, and can lead to more troubles than you started with...

siegecraft4 said:
NO. NO. NO.

This is an example of user error. You need to be held accountable for your actions.

The best you can do is lookup the pin and see if its unessential. I wouldn't try the processor in a board until you determine what the pin did. You don''t want to messup a socket as well.
not to mention RMAing hte chip would mean no more 2.86ghz goodness! i would try to get it repaired somehow

2Fresh said:
I can rma a chip to AMD with a broken pin??

Not technically. If they somehow don't see it, then its possible. Not recommended tho, as it is shady and its your fault anyway.

I agree all the way...I was only asking if youcould do that. I do not plan on it, as I asked if it could be fixt.

I am the one who fucked it up, it is my deal...to deal with. ;)

first thing i would do is try to find out exactly what the broken pin was for, if it was for a ground you may have lucked out and it might still work. and as mentioned above i would take a piece of wire and jam it in the socket and try to make it connect to the cpu. its not like your going to brake anything thats not allready broken. unless you have mad surgical skills with a soldering iron i wouldnt consider that an option right now.

what about a piece of wire from an older ata33 ide cable. it will be difficult to strip the wire out of the shielding.

take it out of an old pos ps2 mouse or keyboard :D I can mail you 20 if you want to experiment ..

So many at work .. and they're the old microsoft ones that only remind me of windows 3.1

Shane said:

You know if you were in arms reach i would BIT** slap you like you deserve

_Korruption_ said:
We all lose when people do that... screwin' with the system is never good.

This was only funny because the persons name is Korruption. lol

Can you post pictures?

If it's a pin on the edge, it should not be too hard. You could take it to a local jeweler, or you could find someone on the forums who has decent soldering abilities to do it as a last resort. Feel free to pm me if you are interested. I'm sure others would do it for free for you too :)

Take a small paper clip and cut off a piece that is about 0.5mm longer then the length of a pin, put it into the hole in the socket that corresponds to the pin thats missing and install the CPU. I've done this more then once and it works fine, only problem can come about when you move you're comp around, you may need to reseat.

what you can do .. although it's just an idea is .. you night wanna get a magnifying glass to help ... or use a digital camera and watch what you do magnified on screen .. :D .. like surgeons

1. melt some solder

2. stick pin into melted solder ... make sure u didnt put too much just enough ...

3. Let it harden .. if there's too much just reaheat with lighter and take some off ..

4. When you have a perfect amount to stick into spot ... DO it ... and hold until it fastens into place ..

Tell me how it goes if you try this .. and good luck

as for the paperclip that may work but I do know that the continuity of paper clips is limited because of a coating on them.

See if you can get a pin from an old chip. there goldplated so they should be nice and conductive. Just look on ebay, you could pick one up and try the soddering thing just make damb sure your careful... maybe even practice on the older chip it's self. (hey if you pull it off youre bound to have improved your soddering skills)

2Fresh said:
Rig is going though repairs, so I have this Thermaltke HSF that I puto n the chip till the Promie is back to me...I crushed one of the pins and it broke off, I about shit. Is there any possible way in the world to get this fixt? Even though I went 939, I still want to keep the chip for rig #2.

Fire this guy an email, he does pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=procrep

Hope that helps

MD

siegecraft4 said:
NO. NO. NO.

Actually, he can RMA it. He just needs to make up a story. When I got my P4 3.2EE a while back ago, a pin broke off when I put it in the mobo. Every single pin was straight and only this one came off. It was weird. Anyways, I told Intel that I opened the package and the pin was missing. I originally emailed them and they sent a response saying to call a service line. I explained the story to them, gave them the serial no. on the CPU and they said to send it in and a new one was on the way. Sure enough, 3 days later my new CPU came and worked perfectly. So, all he needs to do is make up a sure fired story and RMA the mofo. :D Sure, it's not the right thing to do.......but not everybody is rich. :rolleyes:

NoKturNal <1> said:
Actually, he can RMA it. He just needs to make up a story. When I got my P4 3.2EE a while back ago, a pin broke off when I put it in the mobo. Every single pin was straight and only this one came off. It was weird. Anyways, I told Intel that I opened the package and the pin was missing. I originally emailed them and they sent a response saying to call a service line. I explained the story to them, gave them the serial no. on the CPU and they said to send it in and a new one was on the way. Sure enough, 3 days later my new CPU came and worked perfectly. So, all he needs to do is make up a sure fired story and RMA the mofo. :D Sure, it's not the right thing to do.......but not everybody is rich. :rolleyes:

That's the point. It's not the right thing to do. If you have problems understanding that you shouldn't lie to cover your own mistakes then I worry for you.

well, actually if he was just placing the processor in the mobo and the pin fell off, i think that is valid for an RMA.. but not this situation, where he dropped it and a pin that was properly on the chip broke off.

if it came out of hte box and the pin fell off when trying to insert the chip into the motherboard, id blame that on a faulty pin, not user error, but thats my opinion

ya its possible to resolder pins, i resoldered like 6~7 pins onto an athlon XP 1700+ back when it was the latest and greatest and somone gave it to me since they decided the CPU should go into the mobo the way THEY said it should lol

chip still works, does 2.2ghz on crappy water cooling setup lol

I have a 2.4c that had a corner pin fall off. I can vouch that it IS possible to run with a pin missing. However, it was dumb luck that it was an inconcequential pin. The cpu has been running fine for weeks now. Give it a shot, who knows...
~Matrix

i dont see how running a cpu without a pin could do more then just make it not boot.. shouldnt do more then perhaps fry the cpu more

The same thing happened to me once. I called AMD and told them the truth. I droped the processor while taking out oof the machine. They still sent a new one out!! That was my clawhammer 3000+ 2.42Ghz @1.7v!!!

how are these things easy to drop... i have handled p4s countless times.. same with athlon-xp's but not as much athlon-64 but the pins are same as p4's either way

I would try RMAing it. Just cuz its your fault doesnt mean you shouldnt try. The pin should have been stronger! All this tank about 'doing the system wrong' and the like...the system corrects itself like a supply&demand curve so do whatever you can...it doesnt hurt to try.

na..not going to rma it. THis is a geat chip. I hit 2.86 on it. No telling what I would get back. Going to send back it to the fixit guy after the holidays. :)

Back