AAA VR titles are starting to deliver...

Asgards Wrath was awesome. I have not played the others. I actually stopped playing other games and just played this one. It was awesome and am just casually completing the side quests and such.

Do those have options for smooth locomotion and rail/teleport/whatever? I can't see a big title offering only something that makes many people motion sick.

Do those have options for smooth locomotion and rail/teleport/whatever? I can't see a big title offering only something that makes many people motion sick.
I think it has teleport? I can't remember. I use all normal smooth locomotion and if it does not have it, I do not bother playing/buying it.

EDIT: I do not see an option. It does have that tunneling thing where it blurs out when walking.

Last edited:
Reactions: sethk
like this
Asgard's Wrath is awesome. I've heard mixed things about Stormland but I've yet to try it myself. Boneworks looks great but I'm not getting excited about it until it's released.

Stormland looks really fun, apparently the locomotion is comfortable and configurable, hard to believe looking at the gameplay footage though

Reactions: dgz
like this
Stormland looks really fun, apparently the locomotion is comfortable and configurable, hard to believe looking at the gameplay footage though

Yes, looking at the game play it seems like regular movement which is good.

Would love to get Asgard's Wrath it looks like a game I'd really like, but I won't buy it since it's only on Oculus' store. They tolerate revive, but if they ever decide to lock it out, I'd lose the game and for me that makes the game worth $0 (like every other oculus only game) :(. I am definitely looking forward to Boneworks. :)

Would love to get Asgard's Wrath it looks like a game I'd really like, but I won't buy it since it's only on Oculus' store. They tolerate revive, but if they ever decide to lock it out, I'd lose the game and for me that makes the game worth $0 (like every other oculus only game) :(. I am definitely looking forward to Boneworks. :)
Lose the game?

Lose the game?
I believe he does not have a Rift. If Occulous ever decides to take issue with Revive, or other software that allows their exclusive games to be displayed on other HMD's, he would lose access to the game unless he bought a Rift.

Yea the skepticism on revive's future is understandable. You could sell your oculus account in the future though, no?

Lose the game?
Yeah I don't own an Rift so if Revive gets killed I lose the game unless I buy one.

Yea the skepticism on revive's future is understandable. You could sell your oculus account in the future though, no?
Most sites don't allow you to sell your accounts, not that you couldn't do it by ignoring the ToS, but it's a risk for the other party if Oculus found out somehow so I wouldn't want to sell it.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I'd buy it only if Oculus themselves publicly officially supported revive or just make it DRM free with a store-less installer like GoG games. ;)

Yeah, I agree on the Oculus only games. I buy all mine from Steam when I can. It's just easier for me to have all my games in 1 spot.

You can always have the Oculus account around? If it's something you really want to play.

Yeah, I agree on the Oculus only games. I buy all mine from Steam when I can. It's just easier for me to have all my games in 1 spot.

You can always have the Oculus account around? If it's something you really want to play.
This.
I have a Rift and only buy from Steam otherwise I could be locked into only ever owning an Oculus if I want to guarantee access to my games.
Fkn ridiculous situ that has cost them a lot, serves them right.

Thanks to the upcoming Half Life I decided to dust off my Rift CV1 from the closet and set it up, only to find that there are actually good games on it right now instead of just glorified tech demos! I bought Asgards Wrath on the spot. I just hope my motion sickness can take it, I am still not completely OK with thumbstick motions. We'll see, it is installing right now.

Thanks to the upcoming Half Life I decided to dust off my Rift CV1 from the closet and set it up, only to find that there are actually good games on it right now instead of just glorified tech demos! I bought Asgards Wrath on the spot. I just hope my motion sickness can take it, I am still not completely OK with thumbstick motions. We'll see, it is installing right now.

Get that Dramamine drip going ASAP!

Motion sickness drugs? That could work, but do they help to build the motion sickness tolerance over time or do I have to be high every time I play VR games? :p

No idea -- not sure if it's 'high', medicine affects everyone differently. I know that it can work.

No idea -- not sure if it's 'high', medicine affects everyone differently. I know that it can work.

Well, I used the term "high" quite loosely as in under influence of some chemical. Usually when I have taken some motion sickness medicine they have made me very drowsy.

Well, I used the term "high" quite loosely as in under influence of some chemical. Usually when I have taken some motion sickness medicine they have made me very drowsy.

Hey, it's worth a shot, right?

There are a lot of good articles out there about how to get your "VR legs" and not get motion sick when using artificial locomotion in VR. But the short version is:

Don't push yourself - take a 15 minute break the moment you begin to feel uncomfortable or you will risk feeling sick for hours. Give yourself a few short sessions a day for a few days and you'll find you can stay in VR forllonger periods after a while.

Don't use controllers to turn - turn your body instead. A lot of people can handle forwards/backwards movement pretty early on but turning with a controller (rather than turning your head or body) with instantly make them feel sick.

For me, playing while standing helped more than sitting. There's also the benefit of being more mobile and quickly be able to turn, duck and take a step or two in any direction naturally.

There are a lot of good articles out there about how to get your "VR legs" and not get motion sick when using artificial locomotion in VR. But the short version is:

Don't push yourself - take a 15 minute break the moment you begin to feel uncomfortable or you will risk feeling sick for hours. Give yourself a few short sessions a day for a few days and you'll find you can stay in VR forllonger periods after a while.

Don't use controllers to turn - turn your body instead. A lot of people can handle forwards/backwards movement pretty early on but turning with a controller (rather than turning your head or body) with instantly make them feel sick.

For me, playing while standing helped more than sitting. There's also the benefit of being more mobile and quickly be able to turn, duck and take a step or two in any direction naturally.

Oh yeah that is very true. When I last played with my Rift a game that had stick motions about a year ago I tried to "tough it out". Biiig mistake. I did not throw up, I rarely do, but I spent the rest of the evening lying down in my bed feeling very sick and disoriented. :inpain:

I have like 30 VR only games and surprisingly, there is one I have tons of fun with that is not even VR exclusive but VR supported and that is Elite Dangerous.
That game together with hotas is not just the best VR experience I've had but also some of the most fun I've had in a video game since the 90s.
I also play tennis and some other "small" games that are VR exclusive, but those big AAA RPG games don't appeal to me. I prefer normal RPG games.

I have like 30 VR only games and surprisingly, there is one I have tons of fun with that is not even VR exclusive but VR supported and that is Elite Dangerous.
That game together with hotas is not just the best VR experience I've had but also some of the most fun I've had in a video game since the 90s.
I also play tennis and some other "small" games that are VR exclusive, but those big AAA RPG games don't appeal to me. I prefer normal RPG games.
Vanishing realms, Surv1v3, and Arizona Sunshine are good unless you already have them. Dead Effect 2 VR is also fun, but more a shooter RPG.

Cockpit games in general seem like the obvious killer app for the current iteration of the technology, to me. DCS World seems like it would be super tedious as a monitor game, but it's amazing in VR.

Cockpit games in general seem like the obvious killer app for the current iteration of the technology, to me. DCS World seems like it would be super tedious as a monitor game, but it's amazing in VR.

Yep, iRacing is amazing in VR with a full wheel/pedals setup. I've gone off the deep end and have like $2k invested in just the wheel setup, but it's basically replaced real racing for me at this point. I'd spend $3k for one race weekend irl, just in prep/consumables/fees. iRacing is 90% of the fun at 1% of the cost. They have team endurance races with full day/night transitions, changing track conditions, rubbering in, tire wear etc. The only thing they're really missing is rain, but I've never driven a sim that's gotten that right, so I'd rather they take their time and get it right. They run official races for all of the big ones - indy 500, Daytona 500, Daytona 24h, Sebring 12h, Lemans 24, Nurburgring 24, Bathurst 1000 etc. Plus, a lot of real racers run there so you can get an idea of just how you stack up against pros.

Yep, iRacing is amazing in VR with a full wheel/pedals setup. I've gone off the deep end and have like $2k invested in just the wheel setup, but it's basically replaced real racing for me at this point. I'd spend $3k for one race weekend irl, just in prep/consumables/fees. iRacing is 90% of the fun at 1% of the cost. They have team endurance races with full day/night transitions, changing track conditions, rubbering in, tire wear etc. The only thing they're really missing is rain, but I've never driven a sim that's gotten that right, so I'd rather they take their time and get it right. They run official races for all of the big ones - indy 500, Daytona 500, Daytona 24h, Sebring 12h, Lemans 24, Nurburgring 24, Bathurst 1000 etc. Plus, a lot of real racers run there so you can get an idea of just how you stack up against pros.

I have pedals and a wheel together with a shifter and tried Project Cars 2 but I wasn't impressed. Mostly because the visuals are much worse compared to the monitor. It's so bad that it pulls me out of the immersion.
It's still more fun than if I played on the monitor (guess racing simulators are not my thing).

The visual degradation doesn't show as much in Elite Dangerous as that game is very dark.

Wow, Stormland is looking real good. How come it's not on Steam? Oculus exclusive?

Well, that sucks. Exclusives are horrible. Not giving them any money :|

Plays just fine on my Index with Revive... It's not like Oculus is actively blocking or keeping you from using other VR HMDs to play Stormland.
Exclusives are simply an industry wide practice - Oculus pumped a bucket load of money into supporting Insomniac Game's development of Stormland.

Plays just fine on my Index with Revive... It's not like Oculus is actively blocking or keeping you from using other VR HMDs to play Stormland.
Exclusives are simply an industry wide practice - Oculus pumped a bucket load of money into supporting Insomniac Game's development of Stormland.

Exclusives are not healthy. FB + exclusives = super aids

Exclusives are not healthy. FB + exclusives = super aids

You pay to develop a game, you pick what platforms it's on.

I still don't get why people love Valve so much, as though they don't do everything they can to keep people addicted to their platform. Remember when everyone hated that The Orange Box required Steam? People were livid. Now they're livid if it's on Epic, The MS Store, Origin or Uplay INSTEAD of Steam. I've got half a dozen launchers installed... What's one more? Like the rest of them, kill the client/service when you aren't using it.

Sure I think FB's main business is cancer, but it's paid for Abrash, Carmack and hundreds of other talented engineers to work at Oculus, and several kick ass games. At least their tracking is easier to block than Google's.

You pay to develop a game, you pick what platforms it's on.

I still don't get why people love Valve so much, as though they don't do everything they can to keep people addicted to their platform. Remember when everyone hated that The Orange Box required Steam? People were livid. Now they're livid if it's on Epic, The MS Store, Origin or Uplay INSTEAD of Steam. I've got half a dozen launchers installed... What's one more? Like the rest of them, kill the client/service when you aren't using it.

Sure I think FB's main business is cancer, but it's paid for Abrash, Carmack and hundreds of other talented engineers to work at Oculus, and several kick ass games. At least their tracking is easier to block than Google's.
Because if you are forced to take a poison pill to get what you need, you dont want to take any more poison pills when you already get all you need.
Especially when alternatives cant give you all you want.

I dont agree with how much they take from game devs though.
I fear only legislation can correct this now, its a "Steam" train in motion.
But the free market rules so I dont see a solution.

I fear only legislation can correct this now, its a "Steam" train in motion.

This is a bad, bad idea. Introducing legislation would just mean games get worse.

And as Epic's store broke into the market, pretty much anyone else interested can too. We get to an actual tipping point and competition will heat up; given how easy it is to market and distribute games these days, versus having to convince the likes of Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Gamestop to surrender shelf space, and I think we're actually in the best spot we've been in yet.

This is a bad, bad idea. Introducing legislation would just mean games get worse.

And as Epic's store broke into the market, pretty much anyone else interested can too. We get to an actual tipping point and competition will heat up; given how easy it is to market and distribute games these days, versus having to convince the likes of Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Gamestop to surrender shelf space, and I think we're actually in the best spot we've been in yet.
Yeah, I was pointing out what left there is that could stop it in the short term.

The problem is people dont want the aggro of moving to another provider, setting up a new account, installing new software and maintaining it, learning how it functions ...
A single provider makes things really simple.
Even extreme price cuts might not help, its going to take a long long time for there to be a major shift, if there ever will be one (unless something bad happens to Steam).

Well, that sucks. Exclusives are horrible. Not giving them any money :|

so you don't have an xbox or playstation or a switch or a PC or any other gaming platform? And if you do have one or more of the things I mentioned, I presume you don't play any exclusives on those systems?

Yeah, I was pointing out what left there is that could stop it in the short term.

The problem is people dont want the aggro of moving to another provider, setting up a new account, installing new software and maintaining it, learning how it functions ...
A single provider makes things really simple.
Even extreme price cuts might not help, its going to take a long long time for there to be a major shift, if there ever will be one (unless something bad happens to Steam).

Maintaining software? They all autoupdate. Learning how to use it? Pin the game icon to Start and rarely ever see the launcher window itself. Do all the gamers you know live in Amish retirement communities or something? These are not problems that require complicated solutions.

I haven't bought a game on Steam, from Steam in years. I set up price alerts on IsThereAnyDeal.com and buy from whoever hits my pricing target first. Wait a couple months, save >50%.

Anyone else like REALLY REALLY into Pistol Whip? Dual Wield, Dead Eye is my jam.

I keep getting C's cause I play it like a shooter and not the rhythm game it's supposed to be.

People are "addicted" to Steam as you say because Valve has worked to make it more than just a launcher; Steam is a community for many users now. While I don't necessarily use it as a community I do use the Forums, Reviews, and IM features quite often. People are pretty much over things being on Origin or Uplay. It's the fact that Epic is buying exclusivity on games that were originally touted as being on Steam that's pissing people off. If they worked like Origin and had their own exclusives plus 3rd party non-exclusives no one would mind.

Look at it like this: In your town you have your favorite bar that always has a lot of beers that you like and then a handful of other bars that have similar and/or different beers that you'll go to every now and then. And then one day another bar opens up in town and instead of doing what the other bars do and try to offer you a better or just different bar they go directly to the distributors and get a lock on a bunch of beer that you always liked drinking at the old hangouts. That alone would be enough to piss people off. But this new bar not only starts "taking" beers from the other bars in an effort to make the other bars seem worse; they do so while also having no place to sit, no food to eat, dirty bathrooms, and music so loud that you can't talk to anyone. In other words they are worse in nearly every single way than every other bar in your town. That's EGS in a nutshell.

Maintaining software? They all autoupdate. Learning how to use it? Pin the game icon to Start and rarely ever see the launcher window itself. Do all the gamers you know live in Amish retirement communities or something? These are not problems that require complicated solutions.

I haven't bought a game on Steam, from Steam in years. I set up price alerts on IsThereAnyDeal.com and buy from whoever hits my pricing target first. Wait a couple months, save >50%.
This isnt about you.

Last edited:
Back