a8n32-SLI Deluxe

I have this board and it has been nothing but perfect for me. Friend of mine just bought one after his a8n-sli Premium wouldn't post,(would 1 long beep 2 short beeps). Anyways, he buys the a8n32 and it sits on the logo screen for a really long time and takes forever to boot into windows. Any ideas of what might be the problem? He has the 1103 bios, 3700+ san diego, gig of patriot ram for now (corsair 3500LL was shipped bad and had to be sent back) and a 7900GTX 512.

It would very helpful if you can tell us what he has (HDs, CD-ROM drives and USB devices). From just what you stated, it may be a conflict with one of his drives, either the HDs, CD drives or USB devices. Also, flash the BIOS to 1205 and see if it helps.

JCNiest5 said:
It would very helpful if you can tell us what he has (HDs, CD-ROM drives and USB devices). From just what you stated, it may be a conflict with one of his drives, either the HDs, CD drives or USB devices. Also, flash the BIOS to 1205 and see if it helps.

He has a Sony DL dvd burner and a WD hd not sure on the model/size. USB devices are logitech keyboard and razer copperhead mouse. I told him to flash the bios to the 1205 to see if that helps and if not to try the 1009(which is what I use) but haven't heard from him since as he is spending the weekend with family so he doesn't have a lot of free time to mess with his comp.

He got windows installed and started doing the updates. After installing sp2 for xp comp would get to windows screen and reboot or would give him an error stating it may be from new hardware or software changes.

Will update as I find out more info

aight, he swapped out the board....installed windows xp fine...installed sp2...rebooted fine a few times and now he gets an error msg while booting to windows saying unable to load windows because of a hardware or software change. Hes getting pretty pissed off at this point and doesn't know what to do having changed the mboard 3 times, ram 3 times, and now its giving him this error. So he takes it to bestbuy to just have them run a diagnostic on it to try and pin point what the issue is. He gets to bestbuy, they plug it in..boot it up with no problems. They shut it down and power back up multiple times at bestbuy and each time it goes right to windows without any problems. He gets it home, same thing...error on boot about hardware or software changes. He is running the 1205 bios. I went through with him with my bios settings and he set his up like mine minus the oc. Had him turn off the serial/parrallel and all that crap that he doesn't use. Checked the power rails to make sure they are all normal and they are. I had him try plugging it directly into the wall instead of the surge protector and also other rooms in the house, but still the same error.

had him reseat the video card rebooted and gave him 2 long 4 short beeps...reseated it again and went back to the error msg for windows.

Any ideas on this?

well ...what is different at bestbuy from this guys home? ... keyboard/mouse? ..monitor? ..power outlet? ..other peripherals/usb ? .. network/phoneline cable plugged in at home? ..

if it booted up fine at bestbuy and not at home , then there is something at home that is throwing a wrench into the works ..seeing how his old mobo died on him , and now new mobo giving fits for him at home ... isolate differences and go from there

they used usb keyboard and mouse at bestbuy which is what he has at home. Only thing not hooked up was the network cable.

Ok.... so does the computer take forever to boot up... or does it give you a software warning?

I think you said it first did not boot

Edit: He swapped motherboards? Did he RMA, or did he swap it for the premium? Thought it didn't work either o_O

Edit: What was wrong with the corsair?

I had a friend that was having odd problems with his comp ...he replaced the keyboard and then his comp mysteriously started working just fine ...

^^^There is nothing wrong with mouse

The OP's, and your, friend must have had the computer set to boot USB before HDD. T

Edit: Take out all USB devices when booting, see if that works.

* The OP strips down the computer to easily move to BB

* Computer works

* The OP returns home, puts everything back on the computer

* The computer doesn't work

cyks said:
Ok.... so does the computer take forever to boot up... or does it give you a software warning?

I think you said it first did not boot

Edit: He swapped motherboards? Did he RMA, or did he swap it for the premium? Thought it didn't work either o_O

Edit: What was wrong with the corsair?
had the premium..didn't work....sent it back for refund...went to fry's got the a8n32...didn't work very well....took it back and got another new one. It boots up fine...nice and quick...but when it goes to load windows he gets that error msg. I'll have him try another keyboard later.

First, your sig is way too long, 10 lines max. Second, my A8N32 is being a dick to me lately. I don't know if it's my RAM or my motherboard. WIth both stick in I can't overclock past 210FSB, with the one 'good' stick I can get to 2.4+. I was reading my manual and it says if you're only using ONE DIMM then put it in B1 or something, but I have mine in A1. If it's in B1 it can't even get into Windows... :sigh:

tried a different keyboard and was a no go. I'm having him take it to work tomorrow to see if it will load up there. If it does I'm pretty sure it might be a power issue at his house. If thats the case hopefully a UPS can fix that issue.

[H]Opterown said:
First, your sig is way too long, 10 lines max. Second, my A8N32 is being a dick to me lately. I don't know if it's my RAM or my motherboard. WIth both stick in I can't overclock past 210FSB, with the one 'good' stick I can get to 2.4+. I was reading my manual and it says if you're only using ONE DIMM then put it in B1 or something, but I have mine in A1. If it's in B1 it can't even get into Windows... :sigh:
fixed my sig for u

Maybe he has a suspect power supply at his home, i mean the wall socket power maybe dodgy and it is causing the problems he is experiencing, ive had dodgy power mess with my computer before, so it can happen.

Also, this maybe the same thing that killed his premium board aswell ?

EDIT:

sorry, i never noticed post 13, my bad.

This seems really simple to me.

You disconnect every peripheral from the computer, including the mouse and keyboard. You plug it in and let it boot into windows.

If it boots into Windows you plug in your peripherials one at a time, starting with the keyboard, and reboot after each one. When the computer fails to boot you have discovered which one is causing problems.

If it doesn't boot into Windows with nothing attached to it, yet it did at Best Buy, then you just figured out you have a wiring or power issue at your house.

What you don't do it just randomly disconnect one item and plug another one in (keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, external drive, or whatever) because that's not going to tell you anything useful at all.

Do you think it's possible he installed the wrong software for his Razer mouse (which are very, very picky... I know, I have 2 of them) and it's causing a hardware error during boot? If he simply unplugged the mouse during startup he could determine yes or no.

Astral Abyss said:
This seems really simple to me.

You disconnect every peripheral from the computer, including the mouse and keyboard. You plug it in and let it boot into windows.

If it boots into Windows you plug in your peripherials one at a time, starting with the keyboard, and reboot after each one. When the computer fails to boot you have discovered which one is causing problems.

If it doesn't boot into Windows with nothing attached to it, yet it did at Best Buy, then you just figured out you have a wiring or power issue at your house.

What you don't do it just randomly disconnect one item and plug another one in (keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, external drive, or whatever) because that's not going to tell you anything useful at all.

Do you think it's possible he installed the wrong software for his Razer mouse (which are very, very picky... I know, I have 2 of them) and it's causing a hardware error during boot? If he simply unplugged the mouse during startup he could determine yes or no.
He has tried booting with nothing hooked up and still gives the error msg.

man shit like this sucks my pc is doing the same thing. i went to florida for 2 weeks so i powerd it down. mind you it ran fine for about 6 months... and way i get home power it back up and it cant find the boot drive so i unplugged my other hds and try again then i get a error that says in stall bios so i slap the disc in and let her rip she runs the disc the askes to power off and them back on so i do but when it comes back on it asks for the bois again its like its running in a loop and since the case is compleately motified its not easy pulling stuff out of it

Derrick70 said:
man shit like this sucks my pc is doing the same thing. i went to florida for 2 weeks so i powerd it down. mind you it ran fine for about 6 months... and way i get home power it back up and it cant find the boot drive so i unplugged my other hds and try again then i get a error that says in stall bios so i slap the disc in and let her rip she runs the disc the askes to power off and them back on so i do but when it comes back on it asks for the bois again its like its running in a loop and since the case is compleately motified its not easy pulling stuff out of it
english please?

OP said his friend swapped out mobo, did he also reformat and had a clean install?

he tried a new processor and had the same problems. Had him get a UPS to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work going to try and replace the power supply even tho the one he has in on the asus QVL list for the board.

kwest4peace said:
he tried a new processor and had the same problems. Had him get a UPS to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work going to try and replace the power supply even tho the one he has in on the asus QVL list for the board.
Same problem while using the UPS. Went into bios and exited out without saving changes and it booted up fine. Restarted and same thing with the error. Runs memtest and gets a bunch of errors on test 6, but its not the memory cause it runs fine in his other system and has been memtested. Only thing that hasn't been replaced is the HD and power supply, but could the HD even cause errors in memtest?

Back