A8N32: PCI-E Frequency and NB/SB K8/NB Clocks question

MrToilet

Weaksauce
I have the Asus A8N32 motherboard, and I'm trying to OC my Venice 3500+. I can't get it stable OC'ing, and I'm curious what I should be running the NB/SB and K8/NB frequency and multipliers at.

I've OC'ed other Athlon 64 processors, but these new settings on this NF 4 SLI PCI-E mobo kind of confuse me. When I OC the CPU frequency, do I need to OC the Southbridge frequency also? I've been leaving it on AUTO. The HTT multiplier is normally 5X, but I've been turning it down to 3X when upping the CPU Frequency. Normally when I OC, I leave the Southbridge @ 200 x 5, speed 16 up/16 down. Should I be changing this Southbridge multiplier also?

Another question: Should I be upping the PCI-E frequency from 100 to something else? Is there a ratio (like the 66/33 AGP/PCI ratio) that I need to keep the FSB at?

Thanks in advance.

Just thought of something else: I have the PEG Link option set to Auto, I've read that this should be set on Disable instead? PEG Link overclocks the vid card automatically, right? Does anyone know how much the video card (mine is a EVGA 7900 GT KO @ 500/1500) gets overclocked?

I'd Disable the PEG first. Always disable everything if you have trouble overclocking, until you reach stability. Then you can begin adding more features.

Overclocking the PCIe bus is found to have very little effect inside a game situation. Simply because PCIe is OVERKILL when it comes to bandwidth. Most cards today wouldn't even make full use of the bandwidth AGP provides. Sometimes setting the PCIe freq to 101 can resolve a few problems (according to some scare accounts I've read on these forums).

As for the HTT link, 3-4x is probably what you'd want to seriously look at. Always just try to get your speed up to 1000mhz, but nothing over. If your FSB is at 250, set it to 4. It'll be totally within spec, and not affect OCing. If you're shooting for 260+ set it to 3x.

I've never had to touch the SB frequency either... Try it at 4x? It won't *hurt* anything if it doesn't help.

What are your current FSB:multi settings?

Yeah, I didn't really have a clue what PEG link was, so I left it alone...I'll try disabling it and OC again.

I've been trying HTT mult @ 3X with 280 FSB, and 4X with ~250 FSB...not stable, but now that I think about it the instability was all video card related... so that's encouraging.

I have to use the 166 divider on my memory since I have 4 x 512 MB sticks. I've tried CPU multipliers 9,10,11, K8/NB @ 3X-5X, NB/SB @ 3X-5X.

The peg link believe it or not does make a difference from 5% to 9% on all graphic cards , i tested it with my 7950 XXX .

It is suppose to overclock the PCIexpress 16 slot and it does work. I have overclocked my venice on the same board and the cool and quiet has to be disabled , i didnt think the peg link really matters but i may be wrong and the settings i noticed was try and start at ddr166 and go up with the muliplier 10. I could get to 2699 from 2000 mhz max, you should be able to get to 2900mhz.

Back